Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Freshman Quinerly to transfer from Villanova

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22402 by porthawk
The reason I'm posting this is b/c this feels similar to a HCBS/KU situation. Quinerly was McDonald's All American, but never really settled into a role at Villanova. Jay Wright has a system in place and likes to develop his players over several years (similar to HCBS). HCJW didn't just play him right away (the way a Calipari or Coach K do and I'm guessing it frustrated the former top 30 recruit. I could be wrong, but that's the connection I see.

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...y-transfer-villanova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22407 by newtonhawk
Another thing that caught my attention when reading this article was maybe a small similarity to our situation with Grimes. I saw the article on NBC Sports and a commenter said this, "His H.S. game did not translate to the next level. He is not lightning fast, his defense was poor, and he has an awkward, inconsistent jump shot. Villanova loses nothing." I know that comment does not tell all, but it reveals a disgruntled spirit about this player's athleticism.

Is this something similar to what we saw with Q, in that the talent is not translating to the next level ... at least not yet. Also, a lack of athleticism? The difference is that Self went ahead and played Grimes and the inconsistencies were glaring because of playing time.

I personally believe that with time, Grimes will pan out to be a decent player, but it will take some time.

I do see the similarity of coaching philosophies.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #22408 by DrJHawker
I've been surprised by all the chatter I've seen about Grimes leaving KU. Of course, I'm a distant spectator but it doesn't seem in Quentin's best interest. The kid isn't yet ready for the NBA, but Self was very supportive of Grimes and I think he started every (or almost every) game. Transferring seems utterly foolish and unless he is just desperate to make money in Europe or in a development league, it seems clear that he would be best served staying in Lawrence at least one more year.
Last Edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by DrJHawker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk