Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Jamie Dixon - new UCLA coach...

• bklynhawk
  • bklynhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #22393 by bklynhawk
Looks like they're just dotting some i's and crossing some t's according to this source...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #22394 by Wheatstate Gal
You know what really BUGS me?

Wasn’t he coaching TCU in the NIT LAST NIGHT, and <24 hrs later, a buyout is being negotiated to leave.

I guess it just brings back bitter memories.......it’s hard for me to devote 100% effort to my current employer when I’m negotiating my next, IMO, BETTER gig.

Power to Jamie if that’s what he wants....but if I’m his LAST NIGHT’s team.....I’m wondering was he coaching me or was he dying to read his agents messages as his phone buzzed in his pocket?

Adding a snickers to my grocery list......
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, gorillahawk

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #22398 by newtonhawk
LOL! I'm with you, Wheatie ... and I'm thinking that the entire TCU fan base is shopping for Snickers today!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #22399 by DrJHawker
Yes, very unclassy and very unfair to the team he's leaving.

I never begrudged Roy for leaving for UNC, rather, it was how he left. Which I blamed UNC for, more than Roy. To this day, I believe UNC cost us a National Championship.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyHawk, wardhawk

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #22400 by Wheatstate Gal
Thank you,DrJH for articulating for me.

The result hurt for awhile, but the process while we were marching toward a potential natl championship....just STUNK!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJHawker

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #22401 by JRhawk
I thought he was being a traitor of Dean Smith proportions, but read this and see that TCU was only his alma mater and that he grew up in Hollywood - so guess he and UCLA deserve each other.
https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-jamie-dixon-ucla-basketball-coach-hired-20190403-story.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, newtonhawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #22432 by HawkErrant
Apparently Dixon’s buyout is a big issue for the Bruins.

www.frogsowar.com/2019/4/4/18295826/jami...ill-the-coach-at-tcu

A southern Californian perspective ...
www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-jamie-...-20190404-story.html

An interesting critique from a source that covers a program that may be facing UCLA’s problem in he next few years...

www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/4/5/18...sketball-john-wooden

Credit where due, got these links from JayhawkSlant poster Bull-Hawk

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #22434 by Wheatstate Gal
Eek.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #22437 by NotOstertag
Yeah, that's crappy. Knowing your coach is negotiating his new contract with a different team between timeouts is bad.

Roy DID cost us that championship. But keep in mind it takes two to tango. As much as you'd like your coach to say, "let's save this discussion for 2 weeks until the season is over" you'd also like universities to show some respect.

I don't know, I guess it's a competitive market and the early bird gets the worm, but it's a crappy way to do business.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #22439 by Wheatstate Gal
That’s it exactly.

Cue the Queen of Soul: R-E-S-P-E-C-T

But UCLA couldn’t give a rip. They NEED/WANT a coach....UCLA is already into the “ B pool” of candidates.

Looks like TCU is balking at the $8 million. If I was TCU, i say pay up or go to Cincy, but I don’t have a clue how the game is played.

Having lived in LA area for a long time AND having lived thru the UCLA dynasty....I’m all for TCU putting the $$$ screws to UCLA.
Last Edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by Wheatstate Gal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #22444 by DrJHawker
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #22445 by HawkErrant
Of course, that's what buyouts are for -- either deter pursuit or compensate the losing school. It's not like the coach (and the coach's agent) didn't agree to those terms when they went to the current program.

I just hope Dixon can still be effective at TCU as everyone knows the only reason he is still there is the $8M poison pill. He was doing well there (considering TCU's history), and looked to have the program moving up.

The UCLA environment is such a hard nut to deal with, I can imagine a lot of coaches stay away to avoid the grief. IIRC Shaka was a candidate in the last round that led to Alford's hire, but he withdrew his name. I really can't believe any UCLA connected person would seriously consider him today after his performance at tu (NIT be damned; UCLA doesn't want to win the NIT).

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJHawker