Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Point Guards and One and Dones

• Senex68
  • Senex68's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22353 by Senex68
How many freshman point guards are playing in the Final 4? And how many one and dones?

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• texkan
  • Ring my Bell, if you can find it! ;)
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22358 by texkan
...NONE !? thank you, texkan ;p

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22395 by hoshi
Great point and observation, Senex.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22405 by Illhawk
PGs usually stay a couple years especially if they are under 6'4". ( eg John Wall) Allen "Practice" Iverson stayed two at Georgetown, Shaun Livingston skipped Duke.

It seems HCBS tries to have one lottery wunderkind to mix in but I don't recall Josh Jackson, Oubre. or AW cutting down nets.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22406 by NotOstertag
Good observation, but I'm not sure how statistically relevant it is. I will say that playing starting PG while transitioning from HS to D1 is a big leap, and that of ALL positions, it would appear that a kid has the most the learn playing that position as he not only needs to understand the coach's system (probably better than anybody) but also RUN that system. That's tough.

Nevertheless, to be more statistically relevant, I think you'd have to look back a few years to get some kind of significant data pool.

Looking at this year, however, according to this mock draft ( www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft ) there are 16 freshmen who will be drafted out of 60 positions (26%). 13 sophomores, 11 juniors and 12 seniors. There's one HS senior, and 6 international/other picks.

Of the 16 OADs (freshmen predicted to get drafted), only 2 are listed as point guards: Coby White from UNC is listed as a PG/SG and Darius Garland from Vanderbilt is listed as a PG. Meanwhile 5 are listed as centers, and the rest are a mix of non-point guards and forwards.

What this means is that this year, there were only 2 PG OADs, so the odds of one of them making the FF were slim. The best chance would have been Coby White. Nevertheless, the in the current draft, only 3% of the projected draftees fall into the category of a OAD PG, so while I agree that having a freshman succeed as an OAD is a very tall order, I don't know if their absence in the FF is a valid indicator of this.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot