Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Who are you pulling for? (FF and to go all the way)

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #22303 by konza63
Looking at those still standing and the games left to play heading into the E8 games that start tonight, I'm curious who folks are pulling for to make the FF and then cut down the nets. (Not who you think will, but who you want to - assuming they might be different)

(East and West side of bracket)

Michigan State vs. Duke: I want Sparty

Texas Tech vs. Gonzaga: TTU. I want TTU because they're Big 12 (and I think the only program/coach/fan base in the Big 12 outside of TCU that doesn't annoy me in some way). That said, Gonzaga is fine too. (See next entry)

MSU/Duke winner vs. TTU/Gonzaga winner: I strongly want either Gonzaga or TTU. No PUKE, and I don't really want to see Sparty get a sniff of another ring, either, since that would tie them with KU for NCAA championships at 3.

(South and Midwest side of bracket)

Purdue vs. Virginia: Purdue. I like them both (and greatly respect both coaches, who with a win would make their first FF), but I think that Purdue is the more balanced team capable of beating UK if they advance, so I'll go Purdue.

Auburn vs. Evil Empire: Zero doubt here. Auburn in a rout, please.

Purdue/UVA winner vs. Auburn/UK winner: I strongly want either Purdue or UVA if Auburn flames out against UK. Otherwise, I'm fine with Purdue, UVA, or Auburn. Anyone but the Evil Empire.

NC game: I guess from the above my lean would be TTU vs. Purdue, and I'll take TTU. Let's amp up the Big 12's reputation by having someone other than KU win one for the first time since OSU in the 1940s (known as Oklahoma A&M back then).

Bottom line: I will be quite happy if any of the following cut down the nets at the end: Gonzaga, UVA, Auburn, Purdue, or TTU. And I will be quite bummed if it's Puke or the Evil Empire...while not thrilled if it's Sparty for their third.

PS: I'm torn on the Evil Empire moniker - whether it is strictly worn by UK, or if it fits Puke just as equally now (in terms of media coverage, the sheer amount of blind luck they have, and how the calls go their way so often in key games).

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk, Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22304 by LKF_HAWK
TTU, Gonzaga, Purdue, Auburn, UVA would be great and deserving champions. The Evil Empires ( Puke and UK) and MSU please no. I no longer have a respect for Izzo, has to do with US Gymnastics scandal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Wheatstate Gal

• konza63
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22305 by konza63
Concur on Izzo, LKF. Several years ago, I would've put him at the top of my list as replacement candidates if Self were to have ever left. Not anymore. I don't dislike him, but his clean and solid public image has taken definite hits in recent years.

I also think you're correct in lumping Puke in as a co-Evil Empire designate. To me, they've become as nauseating (in fawning and blathering national media coverage) as the Dallas Cowboys were in the 70s-80s. All of that "America's team" horse-hockey. That's how Puke and its coach are treated now, and it creates a non-stop virtuous cycle of coverage and recruiting coups for them as a result. Nauseating.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22306 by sasnak
I can't cheer for Auburn because of their coach but would be happy if they take down KY and then get obliterated. I am ok with anyone but Duke on the other side. I don't see Sparty getting past a healthy Duke team but stranger things have happened.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• konza63
More
5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #22307 by konza63
I'm with ya on Pearl, sasnak. I definitely lean more strongly for TTU, Gonzaga, Purdue or UVA. But if it has to be Auburn to prevent UK and Puke, I'll take that any day.

I mentioned that I have a lot of respect for UVA Coach Tony Bennett (superb class act) as well as Painter. I would extend the same to Mark Few, from what I know publicly, and he's really paid his dues so is very deserving of finally cutting down the nets, IMHO. As for Beard at TTU, I root for them because they're Big 12, but honestly I don't know anything about him as a person.

Last Edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22308 by JRhawk
For me, too bad the West Regional E-8 game isn't the NC game. But, given the way the cookie crumbled, would take MSU (anyone but Duke), TT (Big 12 needs to show up for a change - one team in Elite 8, while ACC, Big 10, & SEC each have 2). Purdue-VA a tossup - some old dislikes of Purdue for me and VA is in the ACC. Auburn as the lesser of two evils. TT as NC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, Wheatstate Gal

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22309 by LKF_HAWK
If DeSouza is sitting because his guardian accepted $2,500 without his knowlegdge. Sparty should be banned from the post season. Izzo knew about his players’ actions which were criminal. Izzo should be out of the game, as should Pearl, Sampson and Calipari just like Pitino.

I rewatched last year’s EE game and crybaby Allen’s last shot nearly going in twice. It was Karma that was a long time coming to Puke and their lot. Last two games are probably universe correcting itself a bit.

I am really am rooting for the meteor tomorrow in DC.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22310 by Wheatstate Gal
TTU because they are Big 12, and I have no reason to dislike Chris Beard or the team, and Good Lord, Lubbock just sounds like a horrible place to live. I have no clue, it may be Eden. It’s only redeeming feature to me is Buddy Holly. Gonzaga is OK, too.

I’ve been trying to be polite and not sound like sour grapes, as I would be for Auburn also, if it wasn’t for Bruce Pearl.....I find everything about him disgusting. Squid and kruzeetosky ...... you know how I feel. I too liked Izzo, but I don’t think his image is squeaky clean anymore.

I guess we all have our warts.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, jayhawk969

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22311 by Wheatstate Gal
Amen on that America’s team crud....just like the cowboys in the olden days! Got so sick of that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22333 by HawkErrant
Glad to see TT is in the FF
Happy for UVA making it as well (would have been fine with Purdue as well)

MSU over Duke
Auburn over Kensucky

TT over MSU
UVA over Auburn

TT over UVA

Rep the Big 12, Red Raiders!

Will mean the FF has none of my picks in it, but at this point I am fine with that as long as Puke (my last remaining FF pick, and to h%%% with my bracket -- which I think is already there anyway) and Kensucky don't make it.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• konza63
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22341 by konza63
That is exactly how I, too, would like it to play out, HE. Although I’d be just fine with UVA cutting down the nets as well.

(Tony Bennett - the coach Tony Bennett, lol - is a class act. He and Brad Stevens would be my first two phone calls, not necessarily in that order, if I were AD and Coach Self ever left)

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant