Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

angry. embarassed. suicidal.

• big g
  • big g's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22242 by big g
sorry for that subject line. i am none of those things. we played a team that was much better than us yesterday and we lost. just like villanova did. just like duke almost did today. instead some would argue it means self can no longer recruit or coach. or that these players dont deserve jayhawk jerseys. such nonsense. this year we beat every sweet 16 team we played- msu, kentucky, tennessee, texas tech (split). we lost three of our best seven players and three of four who had any tournament experience. so we get blown out by an experienced and talented auburn team with us starting five guys who had never been there before. no one goes deep in the tournament with this many freshmen except duke unc and kentucky sometimes because they get a whole different caliber of freshman. self has always blended experience and youth successfully. this year he couldnt. when injuries or other things happen you cant mid course correct in college. you cant concoct a trade or sign a free agent. tho he did take ochais redshirt away which was a creative response. even with all that we were still in the conf race until the end and played a good first game in the tournament. even against auburn we didnt fold, we played hard and clawed back in the second half. not once did i see a player dogging it. not once did self stop coaching. only one team a year finishes its season with a win. we need to really understand that and not be despondent when that happens 19 out of 20 years. lets celebrate all the fine people who create this enormously successful program. lets grade on a curve vs other programs and try to have reasonable expectations. but mostly lets not impune anyones competence or character when theres just no good reason to that. as truly good fans say, just wait til next year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, boulderhawk, porthawk, texkan, Wheatstate Gal, DrJHawker, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22244 by LSHawk
Naw, “suicidal” not good choice...

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #22249 by konza63
Again, I can't speak for others who weighed in on my halftime post last night (yes, it was a halftime in-game post), but I can tell you this:

* I wasn't "despondent" in the least after the loss. I have never gotten over a KU tourney loss more quickly in my life. Why? Because I knew this team wouldn't go anywhere in this tournament. Doesn't mean I wasn't rooting for them with every fiber of my being, but I just didn't think they had it in them. For all the reasons cited in other posts as the season wound down.

* This was the first tourney in awhile where a KU departure didn't sting enough to make me not want to watch the tourney for a few days. I went right back to watching today, intrigued by a couple matchups. Why? See above.

* The game last night was embarrassing. Not embarrassing for me, for us, or for the fans, but for KU as a blueblood hoops program. If it had been North Carolina, Duke, or Kentucky, it would've been embarrassing. We got our doors blown off in that first half and looked like a collective deer in headlights. Villanova had the same thing apparently happen to them. So it happens. But it doesn't take away from the abysmal performance.

* I too am looking forward to next season. This one was not much fun to watch or follow, unlike the past several seasons with such interesting casts of upperclassmen. I'll take those Devonte and Frank Mason teams - and the capacity to hit shots from outside and stay with running teams - any day over what we saw this year.

* Here's to hoping we land a couple shooters, step up our athleticism, and learn how to play D when it counts.

* It's onto the NFL draft for me, then the college football and pro seasons, then Late Night. May our Hawks and program forego the vengeful hammer of the NCAA and hit the courts a-running next October.

Over and out.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk, KMT

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22252 by Wheatstate Gal
Amen, to points 1 and 2........my feelings exactly.

Nothing wrong with your other points....I just particularly feel those first 2.

Thanks, Konza63.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22253 by NotOstertag
I was out at a friend's birthday last night and had a great time. My phone battery died, so I wasn't even tempted to peek at the score or any texts or social media. I think I'm going to make it a point from now on to just close my phone down for a few hours every week.

Anyway, got home around 11:30 and fired up the DVR to behold the ugliness.

We got smoked. Clearly Auburn learned their lesson of almost gifting a game to New Mexico in the 1st round and came out ready to play.

Nevertheless, I wasn't surprised. We're playing 4 freshmen in a lineup that has only been in existence for about 8 weeks.

This was a very dysfunctional season for us, so my expectations for the tournament were very low. It certainly didn't hurt that Auburn couldn't miss a shot in the 1st half.

And so it ends. Today was the first REAL nice weather day in the NYC area so my day started with taking my furry child to the dog park, then a couple hours enjoying spring on the saddle of my bike, followed by hitting a bucket of balls at the driving range. I'm physically whipped and am enjoying a glass of bourbon before I end my weekend and go to bed.

As I've expressed here previously, I think we've got a lot to look forward to next year. Dotson, Agbaji, Dok, McCormack, Gimes, KJ, Mitch, Garrett...that's a solid group that will have learned from this year heading into next year. That group by itself will be very stong.

I do think Dedric will be back, but won't curse him if he leaves. If he's back, we're even stronger. Sadly, I think Silvio will leave which really bums me out.

So I'm hopeful. I'm also aware that the NCAA issues are still lurking, but I can't worry about that until it actually becomes a real issue.

For me, I got to sleep in this morning, watch my dog chase his buddies around for a while, and overdose on spring's fresh air on my bike and at the range, and I watched a LITTLE basketball. That Taco kid on UCF is crazy big and I wish they'd taken Duke out, but somehow once our guys are done, my interest level drops quickly. I'll watch some of next weekend's action,but if the sun's out, you're just as likely to find me pedaling along on a country road, or chasing a little white ball around. I'll be easy to spot in my KU bike jersey, or as the guy with the Jayhawk headcover on the driver.

Cheers to a story line of a season that certainly kept me engaged. Papa's gonna pour another dram of Maker's Mark over the ice cubes before I call it a night.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Bayhawk, boulderhawk