Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

So we're not athletic

• murphyslaw
  • murphyslaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 4 days ago #22225 by murphyslaw
and we don't have any sharpshooters, etc., etc. We could have those assets and more but they would make no difference when there is no hustle. Time after time we were slow getting back on defense, allowing Auburn the opportunity to set up their offense. There's just no excuse for that. Time after time we were running in from another state in an attempt to guard the 3 point shooter.

I noticed several occasions when the person taking a shot should have passed the ball or when it was taken too early in the shot clock. Poor decisions like that were common in this game, I thought.

I also think that McCormack hadn't earned the right to start, and that the Big Dance isn't the time to develop a future star. It is painful to watch him try to play defense. He scores more than Lightfoot, of course, but Lightfoot's defense is a spark for the team. They know he is going to give his all, and I wish there were a record of how many shots he has altered. He is not perfect, but he hustles every game, every second. And, he is a great cheerleader on the bench. Why he hasn't been a regular starter I'll never understand. Often he goes in only after we are down several points and is quick to be benched again.

Coach Self seemed to lack the fire we've seen in him so often. I wanted him to be as mad as hell about the way his team was playing, but I didn't see that, at least to the same degree as in the past.

I can handle losses if the team is giving their all, but blowouts? Let's just say they rarely happen when NO one takes a day off.

Okay, I've had my say, such as it was. Tennis is going to be my focus during the very long months before next season starts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, porthawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.