Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

What an embarrassment!!!!

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
5 years 1 month ago #22206 by konza63
HORRIBLE performance by the Hawks. On par with the Nova meltdown last year.

I sense a pattern here. Not a good one!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 1 month ago #22210 by JhawkMom
I hate to say it but shouldn't we really have expected this? It's been a tough season. Losing the championship streak did it for me. I've had no interest in this tournament at all. Just like that... missing free throws. Looking forward to a new start next season

More
5 years 1 month ago #22211 by Riverhawk
the pattern may well be a program that is heading downhill. this team isn't very athletic and they can't shoot. why will that be better next year?

• konza63
More
5 years 1 month ago #22212 by konza63
Was just lamenting that same thing to HawkErrant offline.

Very dispiriting.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
5 years 1 month ago #22213 by JhawkMom
Umore coaching, new recruits???????

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 1 month ago #22215 by HawkErrant
I have no words for this, other than to relay what the halftime folks noted — worst half time deficit in KU NCAA history.

Definitely need to focus on finding fast defenders who can shoot. Don’t need to be top ten, but need to be athletic, which this team, with few exceptions, isn’t.

Enough said... or in this case, written.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
5 years 1 month ago #22221 by LKF_HAWK
Pathetic!! These guys have historically embarrassed KANSAS basketball with this effort.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #22227 by AZhawk87
I love this board because of its civility, as opposed to others where every thread devolves into personal attacks within three posts. But I have to say here, the word "embarrassed" applied to the players has me pretty miffed.

I never saw a lack of pride, or effort from these guys. They're young men who donned the KU uniform and other than Vick did nothing to embarrass the KU family. They just weren't very good on the court, and for the most part aren't athletic enough to hang with the best teams this year.

What I did see was a team of mostly D-1 substitutes starting for an historically great blueblood team. I also saw a hodgepodge of transfers, freshmen, and Vick, the prodigal son who returned, but with the same baggage with which he left, I saw a roster missing several would be experienced players lost to eligibility problems over the past three years. I saw a program drug through the national spotlight as cheaters. I saw a coaching staff with little fire or emotion throughout the season. I saw a coach linked to NBA jobs. I saw blue chip after blue chip recruit commit elsewhere for coming years. I saw a traditional big man game plan that hasn't acknowledged the notion that fools gold three point shots now dominate and when those shots are being made, no hi/lo two big man system can compete.

All told, this season fall SQUARELY on a coach and a coaching staff that is reaping the effects of several years of questionable actions. Self is fantastic, a hall of famer, and has given us decades of enjoyment. But this season shows that something, or many things, have to change. I'm certainly not calling for a new head coach, but Self is the one that needs to shoulder any embarrassment for where this program has fallen.

The players have nothing to be embarrassed about. The ones who showed up on day one, wore the jersey, and were there at the end of the season are entitled to our respect.

Rock Chalk, and onward !
Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by AZhawk87.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, jaythawk1

• konza63
More
5 years 1 month ago #22229 by konza63
I'm not sure if you're referring to my original post, but if so my point was clearly and strictly about last night's performance against Auburn. Nothing more, nothing less. It was abysmal on all counts: coaching, player execution, you name it.

More
5 years 1 month ago #22230 by AZhawk87
Just referring generally to the thread of "embarrassment" and any application of that to the players. And I'll admit having made several posts this year calling out a couple players for lack of skill, etc., for which I'm embarrassed myself.

I'm pretty disappointed in Self and the program right now, and having this current roster pointed to in any was as having as shouldering the blame for this season. They were put in a no-win situation by several years of poor decisions by the coaching staff.

• konza63
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #22231 by konza63
I hear you, and can only speak for me. My post was focused on the game last night, which was the third year in a row we've had our rears absolutely handed to us on national TV in our exit game of the tournament. We can point to myriad reasons for that, from bad fortune (personnel-wise) over the season to poor recruiting (men against boys last night, athletically) to poor scouting to poor in-game coaching to poor player execution (and in some cases, effort, when you see numerous instances of Auburn players out-hustling our guys in transition up the court, and being left with wide open 3s). The latter is partly lack of athleticism (which goes to recruiting as well), but it's all part of the same bag. Just a very bad, abysmal showing all around.

What's odd is that last year we had athletes and great shooters, yet got curb-stomped by a Villanova team that couldn't have played any better. Last night we had players who largely couldn't keep up with a 5-seed team that also couldn't have played any better. Oregon in 2017, anyone? Couldn't have played any better. When we keep facing teams that "couldn't have played any better," it does point back to a pattern and that goes to coaching - in as much as Coach Self often likes to say that the way you win games is to find your comfort zone and force the other team out of theirs. These three successive blowout tournament losses underscore how we've badly, badly misfired on both those counts recently (and several other times in Self's tournament past).

I'll always bleed crimson and blue and love the school and squad with every fiber of my being, but in this particular instance and with this particular team, it's clear that we've got to recruit shooters and athletes, hope that our core of bigs return, and for god's sake adjust our defense to better guard against the 3-bombs. The question is, at this late recruiting stage, who is left. (I'm generally not a fan of really late recruiting, picking up the scraps that no one else has yet landed)

Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, murphyslaw

More
5 years 1 month ago #22239 by hairyhawk
I have a friend who is a UCONN Husky fan. They did not even make the NIT tournament this year. We still have an amazing program. Our coaching staff has always done better with multi year players than one and done players. The point of why we have had teams play just amazing against us the last 3 years is something to ponder. I think it is easy for the other teams to get extra motivated to play Kansas.

More
5 years 1 month ago #22240 by Illhawk
We got drilled by Bruce "Show Cause" Pearl. His recent assistant Chuck Person pled guilty to a felony for pimping players to agents. Of all the teams to get ran by by this was one of the harder ones to take.

I have no doubt that this is a great bunch of kids who try hard. Some are very young and need a year with Andrea.

Some have been around and may just not have the fast twitch muscles. Some can't guard. Some can't shoot. HCBS is well paid to assemble the talent and this is just not a talented bunch.

Maybe a summer of lifting, shooting and an addition or two and this gets better. Maybe?