Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Scout Talk

• Senex68
  • Senex68's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #22193 by Senex68
I had a breakfast chat with a friend who is an NBA scout, and who is in Salt Lake City doing his job. He had some interesting comments about KU.
First, he thinks we'll beat Auburn. He said that they are extremely talented, but undisciplined and not really capable of playing more than one way. They shoot 3s, and if they hit them, they almost always win. If they either can't hit them, or if the defensive pressure of their opponent forces the shooters off their 'spots,' they are in trouble. Bruce Pearl has not done a particularly good job of preparing his guys for tough games, and as a result they are not likely to win another game like New Mexico State. He commented that even though Pearl asserted that Auburn 'won' that game and that NMState didn't lose it, he was full of ............. NMState did lose it and the Auburn players know it.
As for KU he had several comments about our individuals. According to him KU has 4 guys who will play in the NBA and 2 who might. Dotson is almost a lock to go pro after next season. He's got the speed, quickness and shooting ability. All he needs to do is learn how to play the point. Ogbaji will stay for 3 or 4 years and then will get drafter. He's an NBA athlete and although raw as hell now, will become a star within 1-2 years. Both he and Dotson are extremely bright and both understand how to play. All they have to do is translate the 'understanding' into instinctive play on the court. Dedric is skilled enough to play in the NBA, but won't go in the 1st round. He's a lock for the 2nd round, and may make a roster if the right team drafts him. Same with Doke. He thinks Doke should stay and play another year but he's convinced that he is gone. He will almost certainly go in the 2nd round, but will end up in Europe or Asia for at least 2 years. And Silvio is an NBA player at some point. When is the question. He could end up as a starter with his talent and body, but again, it will take 2 or 3 years.
To him, the mystery is Grimes. He said that Grimes is an even poorer athlete than Dedric. He can't create his own shot, cannot drive effectively, has no hops at all, can't rebound, and cannot shoot. In short, he has absolutely no business starting for KU. He believes that the circumstances of his recruitment have made Self start him and play him, and the bizarre Vick situation made it mandatory. He feels that unless Grimes goes through a complete physical change over the summer, and develops more quickness and hops, he's going to be a complete waste of a scholarship by his junior year. Self must recruit over him unless he develops dramatically. He said Garrett is a really difficult player to gauge. He's got lots of talent, but unless he develops an outside shot he's an overseas player. He obviously never was coached on how to shoot a jumper, becaucse he simply doesn't have one.
McCormack has the physical ability and the body to play in the NBA. He should develop well under Self and will be 3 year player, and a star by his junior year.
His general feeling is that if Doke hadn't gotten hurt, and Silvio hadn't been suspended, that KU would be co-favorite for the title. Under the current circumstances we'll be lucky to win 2 more games. He does look forward to a possible KU-UNC matchup. He is crazy about Roy in KC against us. He laughed when saying that.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk, boulderhawk, jayhawk969, wardhawk, Socalhawk, porthawk, texkan, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.