Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Tourney Beat Downs

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 week ago #22138 by CorpusJayhawk
It was nice to get a cruiser today. We have had a few nice beat downs over the years. Here are the top 10 KU beat downs in the NCAA tourney for a nice little stroll down memory lane.

10 -- 2001 2nd round against Syracuse, Roy against Boeheim. After beating Cal State Northridge by 24 in the 1st round, No. 1 seed KU took on No. 5 seed Syracuse and spanked them by 29 points.
9 -- In 1994 Steve Woodberry led Kansas with 18 points as a 4th seed Kansas team beat a 13 seed Chatanooga team by 29 points in the 1st round. Freshmen Jacque Vaughn and Scot Pollard also had nice games and Richard Scott dominated the boards.
8 -- In the fateful 2003 tournament KU dominated until they ran into Syracuse and forgot how to shoot free throws. Two of the top 10 tournament performances come from that year. This game was the 2nd round when 1 seed Kansas dominated Arizona St. by 32 points with a final score of 108-76. Nick Collison had a double-double and Hinrich, Collison, Miles and Langford combined to score 83 points.
7 -- In 2017 No. 1 seed Kansas took on 16 seed UC Davis in the 1st round and beat them 98-66. KU had 5 players in double figures led by senior Frank Mason III with 22 and Landen Lucas had a double-double
6 -- Back to 2003. After the Arizona St. beat down in the 2nd round, KU made it to the Final Four where they met 3 seed Marquette. Led by 28 points from Kirk Hinrich and a very nice double-double from Jeff Graves, KU beat down Marquette 94-61 by 33 points.
5 -- In 1992 1 seed KU would be upset in the 2nd round by 9 seed UTEP in one of the toughest upsets in KU history. But they opened the tourney with a dominant performance by beating 16 seed Howard by 33 points, 100-67
4 -- In 1996, the 2 seed KU opened the tourney in round 1 against 15th seed South Carolina St. It was a balanced attack led by Jerod Hasse's 17 points while Paul Pierce poured in 15 points as well. Jacque Vaughn had 12 assists.
3 -- 2017 also had 2 all-time great tourney games. In addition to the 32 point beat down in round 1, 1 seed Kansas hit the Sweet 16 running against 4 seed Purdue and All-American Caleb Swanigen. The amazing backcourt of Graham and Mason each scored 26 while Josh Jackson pitched in a double-double and KU absolutely dominated Purdue 100-62. A truly epic game. The next game 2 days later against Oregon would not be such a favorable outcome. That year was a great tournament until it wasn't.
2 -- In 2007 1 seed Kansas opened the tourney against 16 seed Niagara. Niagara never knew what hit them. KU led start to finish winning by 40 with a final score of 107-67. It was another backcourt gem with Chalmers leading with 19 points, RussRob had 16 points and 8 assists without a TO, Julian Wright had a double double and my by Darnell Jackson had 9 rebounds in 16 minutes.
1 -- Who can forget the Prairie View A&M game in the opening round of 1998 when KU blitzed the poor opponent by 58 points, 110-52. It was a short-lived run as KU would get ousted by Cuttino Mobley and Co. Rhode Island in the 2nd round. Thus ended Paul Pierce's KU career.

That leaves us today's beat down. It will now hit the top 10 as the No. 5 best beat down as we beat Northeastern by 34 points.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Socalhawk, KMT, Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.