Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Cal Bear wife and I recently lost our beloved cat . . . .

• Bayhawk
  • Bayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 week ago #22025 by Bayhawk
Well, we didn't lose him. We know where he is, in a little cedar box because he passed a few months ago. :( Looking back, the end of 2017 and all of 2018 until mid December it was slowly and painfully (for us) obvious to see his decline. Accommodating his geriatric needs and the incrementally small but never ending gradual decline made it hard to see until the very end -- and looking back -- that he was clearly failing. The occasional good days were always followed by an even worse week. Until, as it had to, it all came to an inevitable end. Quite peacefully for you cat guardians who care, thank you. ;)

My point? I think this season with yet another Dok injury, the NCAA fiasco, all the new freshmen, and how do you solve a problem like Vick? was much the same as our little cat's last year. And just to drive the point home, he had fifteen straight Bayhawk and Cal Bear wife championships! :cheer:

Now, did we give up on having a furry friend for the rest of our lives? Of course not. A couple of months later a neighborhood stray "adopted me" and now we look forward to another fifteen or more years of furry fun. Different player, but same coaching staff.

OK, I've pushed the analogy too far. Let's just leave it at
ROCK CHALKFOR LIFE!

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, jayhawk969, porthawk, murphyslaw, Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 week ago #22026 by Wheatstate Gal
My Brother.

Normally you make me laugh out loud, and now I’m sitting here weeping. I’m so sorry for your loss; but you shared it beautifully.

Thank you. My sincere condolences to you and Mrs Cal Bear. I can’t imagine that your new furry playmaker could have found a better team to play for!

Indeed, ROCK CHALK FOR LIFE!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk, murphyslaw

• Bayhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 week ago #22027 by Bayhawk
And last night I was weeping over the end of KU's reign in the BIG XII. Well, not really crying as much as I let it ruin my day/month/season.

But today's a new day. So " top o' the mornin' to ya" .

Let's see what becomes of football in a few months. A decade or so ago we were riding high,

RCJHFL

-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #22031 by HawkErrant

Bayhawk wrote: And last night I was weeping over the end of KU's reign in the BIG XII. Well, not really crying as much as I let it ruin my day/month/season.

But today's a new day. So " top o' the mornin' to ya" .

Let's see what becomes of football in a few months. A decade or so ago we were riding high,

RCJHFL

First, Mrs HE and I send our condolences on the loss of your trusty furry friend.:(
We know far too well what it is like to lose such faithful companions.

Having said that (and meaning it from the bottom of our hearts)...

HEY!

I'm looking forward to this fall on the gridiron with real hope, but...

We still got one more tournament -- the BIG one! -- to play in this year!
Yes, we don't expect them to go far.
Yes, we will cheer for them every bloody chance we get and hope they come through until their last game of AY2018-19 has been played.
My baseline hope is that the B12T title game was their "everything went wrong shooting" game and that they play well in every game in The Dance.
My highest hope is that they finish 31-9.
In it to win it, baby!

LET'S GO JAYHAWKS!
ROCK CHALK! JAYHAWK! KU!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 5 years 1 week ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk, jayhawk969

More
5 years 1 week ago #22032 by murphyslaw
My senior cat's health is declining and the end may be too near, so I completely understand how you feel. The first time she heard me yell during a KU game, she ran, then peeked at me from the hallway. After that, she sat near me throughout many games and seasons. Thank you so much for expressing your feelings, and bless you and your wife for adopting the stray, whose life you probably saved. What did you name your new furry baby?

• Bayhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #22035 by Bayhawk
Well Murph, we're pretty far off topic on the BBall board, but while we "lick our wounds" as it were I'll kill some time with this thread.

Lil' Dulce (Spanish for sweet, 'cause she's so sweet ;) ) is an adorable little girl found roaming the tough streets of Stockton, CA. Fleas infested, wormy, tattered and torn, pregnant at too young of age (the little harlot! :unsure: ) we took her straight to the vet to get checked out only to discover she has no teeth!! :ohmy: Apparently she had terrible periodontal disease as a very young kitten (is there any other kind of kitten than young? :dry: ) and they all fell out.

I pondered "gummy cat" but Cal Bear wife (fluent in Spanish) wouldn't hear of it so I asked her how to say "sweet" in Spanish and Dulce it is.

All the best to you and yours in the coming months/years.

--RC

-- Jules Michelet
Last Edit: 5 years 1 week ago by Bayhawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, murphyslaw, Wheatstate Gal

More
5 years 1 week ago #22036 by murphyslaw
She's still a beauty!

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 week ago #22042 by Wheatstate Gal
Any new animal’s introduction to Jayhawk basketball is frightening. Seemingly loving, cooing humans all at once shriek and talk sternly in outside voices. ;-)

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 week ago #22044 by Wheatstate Gal
Look at that......love you, Dad.

Big a$$ bowl of fresh water, 2 plates of food, new bed.......feeling goooood.

She’s a beauty.

Bless her.....coming toothless saved you the chunk of change I paid to have Cosmos rotten teeth pulled after I got him. He still has a couple of teeth.....enough to use when I hack him off!!! And I’d do it again....he’s still chugging after 18 years.

Her name is perfect.

• Bayhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 week ago #22046 by Bayhawk
Eighteen years is a GREAT run!

All the best to you both,

RC

-- Jules Michelet