Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

I'm ashamed...

• replayloungehawk
  • replayloungehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 month ago #22020 by replayloungehawk
I'd sort of given up on the team this year. I didn't watch the games as religiously as I have for the past 30 years (I hadn't missed a game in person, live on TV or recorded for over 20 years). This year, if they were losing I'd turn it off. That's never happened before. I don't know what it was or is, or maybe I do I guess...So what brought me to post this is a friend of mine posted on Facebook, he's a WSU fan, that it seemed like KU fans had kind of given up on them this year. His thought was that it was because of the one and dones and we don't get as invested in the team now. I don't think that's it. We just graduated Sr's and Jr's. last year and I loved every one of them. This was a young team and it was also made up of a lot of transfers. But for me, I must admit with all the college scandals going on that sort of drove a wedge between me and the team I love dearly. I worry Self has done something wrong and will just move on or something bad will happen to the overall image of KU. Anyway, I guess this is sort of my confessional. I'm not giving up on KU or anything of the sort. I'll figure out a way to not get so upset when they lose so that I can at least stick with them when they need fans. Isn't that what it's all about!?

Rock Chalk For Life!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, sasnak, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, boulderhawk, wardhawk, murphyslaw, Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 1 month ago #22043 by sasnak
I could have written this

It'll feel better when it stops hurting
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk, Wheatstate Gal, replayloungehawk

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 month ago #22049 by Wheatstate Gal
Along with a number of us, Sistah!
The following user(s) said Thank You: replayloungehawk

More
5 years 1 month ago #22050 by Bayhawk
We all share the guilt, let's all offer ourselves absolution and rock chalk on!

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: replayloungehawk

More
5 years 1 month ago #22058 by NotOstertag
Yeah, there's definitely been a cloud over the team this year with the NCAA stuff. Seeing Silvio on the bench was an ongoing reminder (as if we needed one). Very hard to move past that when it's still dangling over our heads.

Meanwhile, if Zion Williamson's dad needed employment in order for Zion to pick a school, wouldn't it be pretty straightforward to see if he got a new job in the past year or so? If he's coincidentally working in the admissions office at Duke, or cleaning Kszysafdafeerareski's pool, that might be relevant one would think.

Then throw in Dok's injury and Vick...well...being Vick, and it was a touch year to feel good about this team. Having said all that, I really like Dotson, and the Agbaji story is pretty cool. I'm really happy for David McCormack and he's a very positive story too. Toss in a kid like Mitch Lightfoot and I'm MOSTLY out of my funk about this team.

At this point, a lot of the "bad" is in the rearview mirror, and with the exception of ongoing NCAA issues, we have a bright future to look forward to with this squad next year. I really don't care about the NCAA tournament. I'd be very happy if we get past the first weekend (no guarantee there) especially because that would guarantee a trip back to KC.

Overall, however, I've also faced the reality that I don't think ANY major program is "clean". Instead, I think the "clean" programs have just done a better job of insulating themselves from the dealings between the shoe companies and recruits. We'll never see a smoking gun memo from Bill Self to Adidas telling them to send a player an envelope of cash, but Adidas, Nike and Under Armor will all find ways to funnel money into players' hands through expendable third parties to influence where they go to school.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, boulderhawk, wardhawk, replayloungehawk