Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Need the rest of the freshmen to show up

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago #21916 by HawkErrant
DD and Big Dave are doing well.

Q (0-4/0-2) seems to have reverted to his season norm and Ochai (0-2) has an APB out for his offensive game. He seems to be afraid to take the shot.

Mitch is in there banging but he's been no help on O either.

Dedric, DD and Dave are 11-16.
The rest of the team is 1-12.

Come on, guys, step up!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21923 by replayloungehawk
Funny I was thinking the same thing about Agbaji. He's not been the beast we saw when he first came off the red shirt. Hopefully he gets that mojo back. One thing about Grimes, in my opinion he plays excellent defense and he's not forcing things now but most of all he only had one turnover! So he gave us a nice 12 points with drives to the basket a three and some free throws. I was hoping for a Newman esque performance in the tourneys but we shall see. Rock Chalk, win and move on!

More
5 years 2 months ago #21939 by porthawk
Agbaji not playing like he did when he first started could be because teams have had a chance to scout him and now can game plan against him. Hopefully he'll develop some counter moves and get hot again.

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago #21946 by HawkErrant

porthawk wrote: Agbaji not playing like he did when he first started could be because teams have had a chance to scout him and now can game plan against him. Hopefully he'll develop some counter moves and get hot again.

That's definitely part of it, port. But it seems to me he has also lost his O mojo to the point that he is not taking shots open to him, and missing the few he has taken. Hoping he gets his mojo back soon.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
5 years 2 months ago #21948 by porthawk
I hope so, too. That will get us closer to firing on all cylinders.

More
5 years 2 months ago #21951 by NotOstertag
So I did something odd earlier today. I went over to YouTube and searched for Quentin Grimes pre-KU highlights.

Granted, these are highlight videos, so you don't EVER see him throwing the ball away and every shot goes in. Still, the guy on the screen looked NOTHING like the guy we've got, and the biggest difference is swagger. When he was playing at that level he knew he was the alpha wolf in the room, so his shot was smooooth (and went in). His offensive ball handling and passing was like butter dripping off a hot biscuit.

Do yourself a favor and go have a look. By comparison the college version looks like a rusty robot who's scared of his own shadow. This convinces me that 100% of his problem is centered directly between his ears. Not sure what the fix is, but if he can get some confidence going and get that swagger back, he'll be something special. In those videos he doesn't have a care in the world and everything just works.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk