Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Even if we come back from this deficit...

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 4 months ago #1317 by konza63
I don't see how we will make a deep run in April unless we develop our two frosh bigs for an inside power game.

You can't rely solely on a guard attack (which we have in spades) and Perry is just horrible as a PF. Yet Self continues to try to run a power game through him and him alone...while Bragg (best high school player in Cleveland) and Diallo (MVP of both the McD and Jordan Brand AA games) tide the pine. Zero inside power game to complement our outside attack. It's nuts.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 4 months ago #1335 by hairyhawk
I disagree on Perry. I do think we need some scoring on the block from the other post player

More
8 years 4 months ago #1339 by mtnMan
...at a crucial time in OT. The other bigs are going to defer to Perry. And Perry is getting better at getting the other big the ball when he is double-teamed. I more worry about our guards driving into the trees, especially when they are getting the calls. But a gutsy performance all around. KU players seemed in better condition at the end.

• konza63
More
8 years 4 months ago #1341 by konza63
The operative word was "PF." He is simply not a strong power forward.

On the flip side, when he plays outside-in as a stretch 4 small forward, he is money.

Far too often, IMO, we try to force the offense through him as a PF down on the block. It's okay 25% of the time (as evidenced by a few makes tonight), but if we would play more to his natural strengths as a stretch 4 SF who can attack better from the key and elbow than the block, I think it would be a win-win for the team and him! (All the more so if we developed a legitimate power scoring threat inside).

I wrote that when we were down 9, and we just won a tremendous battle, so I don't want to dwell on critiques. I'd rather salute them and celebrate...but I wanted to explain my comment from that moment in the game. (The PF point)

I appreciate your opinion and all others! Rock Chalk...

Sent from my iPhone

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 4 months ago #1347 by mtnMan
The other post players combined for 15 points and 16 rebounds and a good number of blocks. The important thing is that everyone played their hearts out. can't ask for more than that. fortunately they get almost a week to recover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
8 years 4 months ago #1355 by Hawknmo
Agree whole heartedly with Konza on this subject. Ive never been a big Perry as a 5 fan. As Konza so correctly points out, hes a 4 at best and IMO almost a 3. He and the team would be miles more successful if he were utilized as such I think. It is true though that HCBS really had no one else to turn to last year. This year though there ARE options (possibly better ones) and he continues to use Ellis as a 4/5. Oh well just an observation. Always happy with the W though!!!

RKCKJHK!!!

RKCKJHK!!!

• konza63
More
8 years 4 months ago #1356 by konza63
Agree wholeheartedly with that closing sentiment! Unbelievable fight and want-to on our guys' part!