Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Did anybody go to the Baylor game?

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21872 by NotOstertag
I was just wondering if they made any mention of Vick. I saw on the broadcast that they acknowledged the student managers, but I was hoping that they'd do something on the scoreboard for Vick. I haven't heard anything, so I'm assuming there wasn't anything which is a little disappointing.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21877 by NotOstertag
This just in (and no surprise). Vick won't be coming back for the postseason.

ESPN - Vick not returning

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21878 by Wheatstate Gal
I hope he is wise enough to finish his degree, and doesn’t let this family “emergency” (my word, not mama’s) divert him over the long haul.

Did I see a headline where THE Ohio state university honored Okafor for the pending completion of his degree this year? In fairness, I didn’t read the article.....because it just seemed too odd.

Whatever....hope Vick completes his coursework.....for his sake.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #21879 by jayhawknut
I was at the game. Vick was not mentioned during the pregame or during any timeout or at halftime.

During the pregame video, there may have been a fleeting photo of him -- nothing prominent. If it was Vick, it was just a flash.

During one of the timeouts they showed a video celebrating the streak. I didn't notice it then, but I just watched the video that was sent to Williams Fund members and #2 takes an alley oop for a dunk. I assume it's Vick but you can't see his face. Again, nothing prominent.

Two managers and their parents were recognized before the game and presented some kind of plaque from Self (no flowers on the floor).

At one of the timeouts the seniors in the band and spirit squads came on the floor and were introduced by name. This is typical.

The biggest introduction cheer (and standing ovation) came during the first timeout when Professor Kevin Willmott came on to the floor carrying his recent Oscar. Chancellor Girod presented him with a framed jersey with an image of the Oscar forming the jersey number "1."
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by jayhawknut.

More
5 years 2 months ago #21880 by hoshi
Was there. Jayhawknut's statement is accurate re. Vick. Vick was not mentioned or acknowledged.

I thought the crowd was not that bad considering it was Spring break. The game itself was a little bland in the second half but the refs contributed to that with all the fouls called and various video reviews. It was a long second half. The KU offense is still a work in progress and may not get there this year. DMac is doing a 2018 SDS this year. Boy is the potential there.

They have been sharing some healthy living statements orchestrated by Ms Hudy. She gets a big cheer after each of the segments.

The highly animated drummer, and African American student and senior, got a big time applause when he was introduced.. Well deserved. He has been fun to watch.

I'm not a Kevin Wilmont fan for some personal reasons, so I did not stand when he was introduced. He is very good at what he does in the Film department and it was a nice honor for him and KU.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein