Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Random thoughts from a cluttered mind...

More
5 years 1 month ago #21805 by Kong
Not much more can be said that hasn't already, so this is mostly cathartic.

This team had flaws from the beginning, but there was enough strengths to cover for them. As each hit came, Dok, Silvio, Vick, etc. the flaws that were there were unable to be hidden or compensated for. Compare that to Dook who is loaded and they lose one player and go into a skid with talent to nearly sweep the NBA draft. I think that the fact that we were still in the hunt goes to show how good Self really is as a coach. But that made it a bit frustrating, because in spite of everything, we still had a shot.

I made a comment a while ago that with so much youth and new players, that we didn't have the same vested interest in the streak. There wasn't a smooth transition of players on the court experiencing the will to shut an away crowd down, the strength to take another teams best shot and deliver one right back. Confidence was lacking and it showed.

The whimper of a game we saw last night was disturbing to me. It was almost as if they knew the task was too big so let's just get it over with. Self had to call two timeouts in a hurry and try to settle the team down, but they weren't buying in to it. They were done. And that is frustrating to watch.

We tossed more bricks last night. It felt like we were trying to build a garage or something.

Garrett needs to become a shooter. Not a great one, just enough of one to force teams to play honest D on him.

Grimes is an enigma. His effort is lacking and that is the one thing you can control. I don't understand it.

And those turnovers. Good grief.

Well this season is almost over. I expect it will be a short post season as well as I don't see the heart in this team for it to be anything but.

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: porthawk, texkan, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 1 month ago #21807 by CorpusJayhawk
I really don't think this team lacks heart or aggressiveness or anything like that. I really believe the biggest issue with this team was youth and all that goes with that. Most of us have been part of a team whether in sports or business or whatever. When the trials come and the stuff hits the fan chaos is looming, leadership is what matters. And on the court, leadership is based on an almost unquestionable warranted confidence in the leader. When Mason was a senior, the team knew that when the backs were against the wall, Mason would stay calm and lead. He would not lose his composure and get rattled. It did not always lead to success because the opponent also gets a vote and sometimes the opponent just out executes. But when the team knows that the leader will execute and the team has been refined by fire and they know that the emotion they are feeling is just something to deal with and that the real key is to set aside the emotion and execute what they know they can do. This confidence and trust is instilled over time and through trial. Freshmen led teams are never as good as senior led teams all other things equal. I really think this team suffered from youth and missing key components. How calming is it when you know that you have Udoka inside to throw it to when you absolutely need a basket and he shoots 75%. And if they double on Udoka you have a scoring machine in option 2, Dedric. And you have a Udoka's giant body to set screens and fill up the lane for Devon or someone else to Drive to get either a hoop or a foul. But when Udoka is out and Deric becomes the No. 1 option, that seems alright since he is as effective as Udoka at scoring. The problem is now the No. 2 option is a big drop off and the no. 3 option is now far less effective with the loss of the big body to screen. So losing Udoka and having both a very young team and a team of players that almost totally are playing their first season together. Not only their first season together but one where the whole scheme has had to change several times over the season. While I am disappointed in a 22-8 season I am really not disappointed in any particular player (other than LaGerald and to some degree Grimes). The ingredients to a good team in college has a huge dose of experience and togetherness. Last season we won some games we probably should not have because you had Svi and Devonte' who had played 4 years together. If Udoka and Dedric return, this team will be top 5 again. If they do not, we will still be probably a solid top 10.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, porthawk, texkan, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.