Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Is Grimes really so low a hoops IQ?

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago #21786 by HawkErrant
I can't believe his mental mistakes or his lack of hustle in this game.

Shaking my head...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago #21787 by HawkErrant
Looking better and better.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
5 years 1 month ago #21796 by AZhawk87
I agree HE. There were a couple times last night when I could see the turnover coming 4 or 5 seconds before it happened. No court awareness. No recognition of the flow of the game unless he's just passing the ball around the perimeter. And the blank stare of someone who is just lost.

More
5 years 1 month ago #21803 by Senex68
One thing we don't/cannot do anymore is visualize a player based on his performance, not his perceived potential. In the case of Grimes, his perceived potential is a function of three things. First, his ranking among high school seniors. Second, his performance during the under 19 Tournament last summer. Third, his first game against Michigan State. The result of those three elements led us to believe we were looking at at worst an all Big 12 kind of player, a guy who could carry the team on multiple occasions during the season. But if we look at Grimes through the real lens, that of actual game performance, we see a truly mediocre player who performed at a level of a number 6 or 7 guy at best. He was and is NOT starter quality, and he should not have seen the floor for more than about 10-15 minutes a game at best.

I don't know what happened to him, but whatever it was or is, Self has not been able to figure it out either. I have been watching KU basketball since 1966 and Grimes is the single most disappointing player I've watched during those many years. To me, the scariest part of his performance this year is the fear that he isn't going to get better over the summer. I simply cannot imagine that he suddenly is going to morph into even Brady Morningstar, let alone Wayne Selden. I am not sure we will ever truly understand this mystery.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: texkan