Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

it’s over

• LSHawk
  • LSHawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21755 by LSHawk
The streak....and I was fine with it till my son reminded me that he was 14 last time KU didn’t win the conference. Oh well, nothing lasts forever... start a new streak next year. Get hot in the post season. RCJHGKU

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21756 by replayloungehawk
Was about to post something similar. My dad used to say you can't win em all. It is what it is. Some bum luck for the team we had to start the year to the team we have now.

Still pleased to be a KU fan!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, newtonhawk

More
5 years 2 months ago #21757 by LKF_HAWK
Unfortunately, the purple menace will likely be one of the two teams that will be responsible for ending the streak. Imagine the amount of trash talk we will have to endure from, well no nice way to say it, an absolutely irksome, less than classy fan base. Add to that having to watch Bruce Weber and Barry Brown, who are perfect analogs for the purple menace fan base just pours salt into the wound. The real bummer is the Big X12 did not get KU’s best shot. I don’t think TT or Kstink would have beaten KU at full strength, but alas KU got plenty of breaks during the streak so this was the year the break went the other way. Oh and I blame WVU for all this mess —haha!

More
5 years 2 months ago #21758 by big g
Feel compelled to point out that its not over til its over, much crazier things have happened
The following user(s) said Thank You: wardhawk, Socalhawk, DocBlues

More
5 years 2 months ago #21759 by AZhawk87
It's an odd thing about streaks - they can become larger than life and often distractions from the real objective.

Take any team that is undefeated. It becomes solely about not losing one game, as opposed to continuing to get better and prepare for post season. Sure, you'd like to go undefeated, and KU would like to get 15, but there are other goals out there beyond those.

To me, the streak was incredibly impressive, but more so as a means to dominate and embarrass KSt, WVU, and other conference enemies. I never believed it made much difference to the rest of the world, other than media folks who had something to talk about during our games. I have no idea who is currently leading the ACC, SEC, Pac 12, etc., nor do I care. It's about individual game matchups throughout the season, then on to March Madness.

Let KSt hang their banner and act like they're KU's equal now. They know the truth, and will act like fools for a year until we take it back from them. We can just laugh and get back to business.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DocBlues, murphyslaw, KMT, Wheatstate Gal

More
5 years 2 months ago #21760 by Illhawk
KSU played like champions. TT played like champions. They dominated teams that have won some games. KU hasn't had many dominating performances this season.

Senior night in Norman, Lon Kruger trying to get in the NCAA.

The good news is that it doesn't matter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

More
5 years 2 months ago #21762 by Socalhawk
It’s not over till we say it is .... win tonight.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21764 by Wheatstate Gal
AZ,

You are correct in so many ways. I’ve worked a lot of places. People have no interest in KU’s success only the losses. They have no clue about 14, 15 or 62 straight conference championships. But I will hear from them as soon as KU bows out in the Dance.

I do disagree...KSU doesn’t acknowledge/know the truth, because.........

They can’t HANDLE the truth.

:-P
The following user(s) said Thank You: texkan, murphyslaw

• texkan
  • Ring my Bell, if you can find it! ;)
More
5 years 2 months ago #21766 by texkan
...Hello Jack Nicholson, hehehe ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21769 by Wheatstate Gal
Probably more effective if I knew how to post “film clips.”

More
5 years 2 months ago #21770 by Illhawk
All's well that ends. I gave up on expecting "well" several years ago.

My point is that there are many other aspects of KU hoops beyond the streak. It is a nice record to have, especially since it topped UCLA teams that absolutely dominated the sport.

We still have our museum/temple of a Field house, located on a road named after the guy that thought up the game. Three NCAA Championships and a ton of All Americans and a list of Hall of Fame players and coaches and NPOYs.

It seems likely that some of the other bluebloods could have a better March, 2019. But the point is we are still in that elite group streak or no streak.

I can recall when the emphasis was on NCAA runs. I wouldn't mind going back to that. .
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

More
5 years 1 month ago #21774 by murphyslaw
You posted what I've been thinking for a long time but was too timid to post, I thought there was something traitorous about not focusing much on the streak. Let's make a nice run in the Big Dance!

More
5 years 1 month ago #21776 by LKF_HAWK
I don’t think anyone is saying the Streak or having nice run in the NCAAT are mutually exclusive. However, while unrealistic, I always want KU to find a way to win. What bugs me about losing the Streak this year is: a) the Kstate purple menace will likely be the team to end it, b) purple menace fans are just plain annoying and just are really mean folks when it comes to KU-KSU.. yes KU has history etc, but we can win next 15 Conf titles, 3 titles and KSU wins 3 games but they will crow until the cows come home about Bruce Weber’s Heroic BB team of 2019.