Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

REMAINING SCHEDULES for BIG XII TOP TEAMS after SATURDAY 2019-03-02

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago #21726 by HawkErrant
REMAINING SCHEDULES for BIG XII TOP TEAMS
after SATURDAY 2019-03-02

All Top 5 teams are color coded and underlined.

KU is still alive in the title chase, but both KSU and TT are successfully keeping the Hawks at arms' length as the season winds down. I hate it when the Hawks have to rely on the kindness of others this time of year.

KANSAS STATE (12-4) 1 Home / 1 Road
MAR 4 (MON) AT TCU
MAR 9 (SAT) VS OKLAHOMA

KSU stays tied with TT for the conference lead, and is guaranteed at least a share of the conference title if they can win their last two games. KSU travels to TCU before finishing at home against OU, and I'm still hoping for Kruger’s Kids to pull off the upset in Manhattan -- and I'd love for TCU (fighting for an NCAA berth) to finally successfully defend its home court, too! As has been the case since KU lost in Lubbock, no matter who does it, KU needs to win out and have the Cats -- and TT -- lose at least once more. Got to have a dream...

TEXAS TECH (12-4) 1 Home / 1 Road
MAR 4 (MON) VS TEXAS
MAR 9 (SAT) AT IOWA STATE

Tech is looking strong as the season draws to a close. Can Texas, who manhandled ISU in Austin on Saturday, or ISU playing at home in their season finale, give TT the additional loss that KU needs in order to have a chance at a share of the title (allowing for another KSU loss as well)? The odds are still very good that there will be co-champions this year, with KU probably not one of them. Again, TT wins out and they are guaranteed to at least tie KSU for the crown -- unless someone else can defeat the Cats just one more time, giving TT the crown all to itself..

KANSAS (11-5) 1 Home / 1 Road
MAR 5 (TUE) AT OKLAHOMA
MAR 9 (SAT) VS BAYLOR

KANSAS fought against both road history this year and road history against OSU to stay alive in its quest for 15. Next up for the Jayhawks: OU in Norman on Tuesday, where KU is slightly favored despite its road woes this year. Then there is Baylor in AFH for the finale, projected as another KU win. At a minimum beating BU would result in KU being a perfect 16-0 in The Phog this year (last time KU was perfect in AFH was AY2015-16) and winning its final home game of the season (usually called Senior Night, but as there are none unless Vick shows up for the game, can it really be called that?) for the 37th year in a row. The last loss in the last home game of the season was to ISU in Ted Owens' next to last season, AY1981-82.

I'm still dreaming of four straight strong defensive games to close out the regular season and keep the dream alive. Two down, two to go...

BAYLOR (10-6) 1 Home / 1 Road
MAR 6 (WED) VS OKLAHOMA STATE
MAR 9 (SAT) AT KANSAS

Baylor shot themselves in the foot in Manhattan, and is now two games out of first with two games to go. They now face what should be a respite in Stillwater (who should be due an off game after having played over their heads at TT, and doing more of the same at home against KU) before finishing in the Phog against KU. The odds remain stacked against the Bears finishing with a share of the crown.

IOWA STATE (9-7) 1 Home / 1 Road
MAR 6 (WED) AT WEST VIRGINIA
MAR 9 (SAT) VS TEXAS TECH

The loss at Texas on Saturday, combined with TT winning in Fort Worth, eliminated ISU's chances for any share of the title. They are 3 games back from both TT and KSU in the loss column with only 2 games to go. Their goals now are for Big XII tournament seeding, NCAA Tournament seeding and perhaps playing the spoiler by winning their last home game of the season against TT. Of course I'm pulling for them to do just that.

ROCK CHALK!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Socalhawk, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.