Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Props to Grimes

• DrJHawker
  • DrJHawker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #21711 by DrJHawker
After all the frustration the board has expressed toward Grime's play - I think we owe him recognition today. He was one of the stars of the game. 17 points, 3 assists (and some nice ones), 4 rebounds and solid defense. Quinton was 4-7 from 3. His 3 to tie the game late was maybe the biggest shot of the game. So good to see the progress. I think we all had a feeling, with his pedigree, eventually, his game would turn. Hopefully, it has.
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by DrJHawker. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, Bayhawk, jayhawk969, Socalhawk, DocBlues, murphyslaw, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago #21713 by HawkErrant
Definitely a good sign at this time of year!

Grimes 17 points (second to Dedric's 20)
6-11 FG/A
4-7 3P/A
1-2 FT
1 O +3 D = 4 TReb
3 Assists
1 Steal
3 TO
3 PF

Most importantly, only one bonehead play (bad pass) that I can recall, which is a huge improvement.

AND as noted, he played solid D for the second game in a row!

Congratulations and Keep it Going, Q!

And solid play by Big Dave and Our Man Mitch in the middle and at the FT line -- between them 12 points, half of them from their combined 6-7 performance at the line! Now THAT'S what I want to see from our bigs at the line!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw, DrJHawker, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

More
5 years 2 months ago #21717 by hairyhawk
Agreed that QG deserves props as he played a good game. I think he is capable of more but that was a good game. It looks to me like this team right now has good chemistry. I hope they are really enjoying playing Jayhawk Basketball. As HE mentioned above 6-7 at the line from our bigs other than DL is pretty good.

• DrJHawker
  • DrJHawker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21718 by DrJHawker
I agree, that QG is capable of more. For some kids, it takes a while to adapt to the college game. He clearly has a lot more upside.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #21730 by AZhawk87
It certainly helped that he made a couple early shots, but I think his hustle on defense and on a couple loose balls really was the catalyst for getting him going.

He was all over the place on defense, and diving on the floor. Good for him and let's hope we see him smiling more, having fun and playing solid.

And, I apologize for my in-game post about Garrett. We were playing so well, when he came in I said out loud that we would stagnate, and we did. I never post in-game, and I broke my rule on that with a negative post about a great Jayhawk and good kid. My bad.
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by AZhawk87.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, murphyslaw, replayloungehawk

More
5 years 2 months ago #21732 by hairyhawk
No Worries AZ. We know you were just rooting for the Hawks to win. I think anything that reduces MGs mobility, like an ankle sprain, is very noticeable because his calling card is defense and that requires superior athleticism. I mentioned before and I still think his learning to shoot well is the difference between him making thousands of dollars playing basketball vs his making millions of dollars playing basketball.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago #21743 by HawkErrant

hairyhawk wrote: No Worries AZ. We know you were just rooting for the Hawks to win. I think anything that reduces MGs mobility, like an ankle sprain, is very noticeable because his calling card is defense and that requires superior athleticism. I mentioned before and I still think his learning to shoot well is the difference between him making thousands of dollars playing basketball vs his making millions of dollars playing basketball.

So concur, hairy!

If the kid can develop an outside shot, he is going to make a ton of Simoleons at the next level!
Gots to be a gym rat (if he is not already) from here on out and work on that shot!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
5 years 2 months ago #21750 by NotOstertag
Timing couldn't be better....actually it could have been earlier which would have been better, but I digress.

You could argue that it's actually a trend now. He played better than usual vs. KSU and he was actually very good at OSU. Better late than never. Hope it gives him some confidence moving forward because we need him.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant