Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Gimme your money, please...

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago #21624 by HawkErrant
ESPN: Kansas seeks $1million in restitution from corruption cases.

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...tion-corruption-case

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 2 months ago #21626 by Kong
Probably the best news in this whole saga I can think of. It means that KU must feel very confident that there is nothing in the unreleased tapes/texts/documents that could further implicate KU past what has already taken place. Otherwise they would be complete fools to press this issue with he NCAA asking for the unreleased information and with the additional tapes potentially being used as part of a defense in this civil suit.

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, newtonhawk

More
5 years 2 months ago #21637 by NotOstertag
I'm no lawyer, but I would imagine that opening up this lawsuit would give KU access to all of the evidence surrounding the case, including (presumably) stuff that would reflect poorly on Adidas, Nike, Under Armour, the NCAA, and maybe even other institutions.

Not sure if this is part of the strategy (but I'm happy we're suing SOMEBODY here), but I'm hopeful that access to more information can only help us depending on what we learn and how we decide to use it.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
5 years 2 months ago #21649 by Kong

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
5 years 2 months ago #21652 by NotOstertag
Two different cases, Kong.

The judge refused the NCAA's request to get the feds evidence for the NCAA's own use.

KU is suing the individuals for monetary damages. In that suit, I'd assume that KU would still be able to subpoena evidence.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
5 years 2 months ago #21660 by Kong
I know. But they are somewhat connected as well as connected to potential future sanctions that may be out there. For now, no new information is available to anyone. KU must feel confident that even if new information were to arise, that there isn't anything more than we already know or they wouldn't have risked opening up more information in this civil lawsuit.

A lot of different parts that are all somewhat interconnected

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag