Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Jayhawks "on Parade" at AFH on Saturday

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #21339 by HawkErrant
As you already know from watching Saturday's WVU game, with this being NBA All-Star Game weekend a flock of former KUMBB players descended on Mount Oread for the game and a little reunion of sorts.

Article: KUSports.com - Matt Tait: Notebook - Former Jayhawks watch KU roll over West Virginia
From the article, this pic:

In the article Tait named everyone who was there, but I could find no captions identifying Who's Who, so let's tag 'em!

1 Gary Padgett 1953-54
2 Bill Lienhard 1950-52; 1952 NCAA Champions and Olympic Gold Medal team, Helsinki
3 Malik Newman 2016-18; 2018 Final Four
4 Wayne Simien 2002-05; 2002 FF, 2003 NC runner up
5 Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk 2015-18; 2018 FF
6 Tyrel Reed 2008-11; 2008 NC
7 Greg Gurley 1992-95; 1993 FF
8 Devonté Graham 2015-18; 2018 FF
9 Kevin Young 2011-13; 2012 NC runner up
10 Christian Moody 2003-06; 2003 NC Runnerup
11 Conner Teahan 2008-12; 2008 NC, 2012 NC runner up1
12 Scot Pollard 1994-97
13 Jeff Gueldner 1986-1990; 1988 NC
14 Nick Collison 2000-03; 2003 NC, 2002 FF
15 Jacque Vaughn 1994-97
16 Jeff Hawkins 2003-06; 2003 NC runner up

Not shown: Clay Young, 2016-18; 2018 FF

1 Thanks for the assist with Conner, LKF!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant. Reason: Edit Conner's info
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk, Bayhawk, LadyHawk, gorillahawk, jayhawk969, wardhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 2 months ago #21340 by LKF_HAWK
Thanks HE- Connor Teahan was also 2012 NC runner up
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #21342 by HawkErrant

LKF_HAWK wrote: Thanks HE- Connor Teahan was also 2012 NC runner up

Yes he was! That redshirt year he took in 2010-11 enabled him to be the latest Jayhawk to be on the active roster in two NC games (as a freshman he did not play in the 2008 NC game, but did play against UNC in the National Semifinal). Thanks, LKF!

When was the last time KU had someone on the active roster for two National Championship games in their KU careers?

Extra credit: name the players involved.
(Full disclosure -- I know the when, but I'm going to have to look up the names. - HE)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
5 years 2 months ago #21343 by LKF_HAWK
HE- I would guess ‘52 and ‘53 for the NCAA as they did not have championship games for the Helms Foundation.

I also will have to look up the players.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #21345 by HawkErrant
Correct, LKF. KU won it all in 1952 against St Johns. In 1953 B.H. Born (the only name I know without research) was the first -- and still the only -- player to be named tournament MOP even though his team lost the title game against Indiana. (Phog was 1-2 in title games, both losses to Branch McCracken's Hoosiers, 1940 and 1953).

Looking up the rest I get these Jayhawks who were on the roster in both 1951-52 and 1952-53

Jerry Alberts
B.H. Born
Larry Davenport
Everett Dye
Bill Heitholt
Wes Johnson
Al Kelley
Dean Kelley
Dean Smith
LaVannes Squires

More
5 years 2 months ago #21346 by LKF_HAWK
HE - I knew Born, and suspected Dean Smith were on the 52/53 teams. It’s a darn same KU lost in ‘53 and ‘57, would have been nice to have gotten those two.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #21347 by HawkErrant
Yes it would have been.

And a shame Phog didn’t get to coach Wilt due to the mandatory retirement age for state employees back in the ‘50s. I have always thought the 1957 team would have won it all if Phog was coaching instead of Dick Harp.

More
5 years 2 months ago #21348 by LKF_HAWK
KU has had some of the worst luck in title games, but you have to get there first to have bad luck.