Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Really, Fran?

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Wheatstate Gal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21301 by Wheatstate Gal
Did I really hear him say that Puke plays with such joy?

If so, and Speaking of puke.....I think I did!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, DocBlues, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago #21303 by HawkErrant
I try to ignore him. Often muted.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
5 years 2 months ago #21307 by hairyhawk
I was telling someone when our game did not start on the channel when it was supposed to that they never cut away from the end of the game they are showing to show the beginning of the next game. I guess that is only true for teams not named Duke. Granted the game was effectively over but I do not remember them going to the start of a game until the current game was over.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, texkan, DocBlues, murphyslaw, replayloungehawk

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21309 by replayloungehawk
I couldn't believe it. In fact I just created my own post about it. I've never seen that happen. Such BS!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
5 years 2 months ago #21311 by hairyhawk
As Mel Brooks said in History of the World "it's good to be the king". Do not doubt that in the ESPN world view Duke is king.

More
5 years 2 months ago #21315 by Bayhawk
The East Coast is money plain and simple. But there are so many other reasons to hate them as well :evil:

Channel 11 in the Bay Area is all Notre Dame games. Not the eastern seaboard, but another rich private school.

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Wheatstate Gal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21317 by Wheatstate Gal
I’ve always felt that Norte dame football is perceived as “America’s Team,” similar to how the cowboys were (any maybe still are) called that.

Duke, I don’t get......

And I’m surprised no one heard my outburst when our game was gone and some woman was standing in Kzvbmklrtpzzcvdy-ville tent city.

More
5 years 2 months ago #21318 by murphyslaw
Was it Fran who made the comment about Mitch, "Know your role, stay in your role, star in your role!" If so, it was the only thing I consciously heard from him. Otherwise, I muted him in my mind. (A trick of a former band director to keep her hearing intact)

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #21321 by HawkErrant

murphyslaw wrote: Was it Fran who made the comment about Mitch, "Know your role, stay in your role, star in your role!" If so, it was the only thing I consciously heard from him. Otherwise, I muted him in my mind. (A trick of a former band director to keep her hearing intact)

He was quoting an NBA player (Doug ?????) as having that as his mantra.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

More
5 years 2 months ago #21333 by sasnak
Fran actually said a LOT of nice things about us yesterday and often. He really likes the team we have on the floor right now.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting
The following user(s) said Thank You: DocBlues

More
5 years 2 months ago #21349 by NotOstertag
I didn't mind Fran yesterday. I think he's pretty good to KU most of the time. And you can't ignore Duke this year. Zion is playing like a monster and Duke has been very good. We, on the other hand, were pretty bad for a while, and I think our story is now about our improvement.

One thing Fran DID say was that he personally believes Vick won't play again. Now we don't know if that's just his opinion, or if he's got some inside info. I do think that he does have conversations with coaches that aren't public, so while I wouldn't take this info to the bank, I certainly wouldn't dismiss it either. Also consider that Vick is likely at home watching these games and seeing the change. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting prediction and I don't think he'd have thrown it out there if he wasn't fairly confident.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #21350 by HawkErrant
I heard his comment as well, and unless my ears failed me Fran said he had that info about Vick not returning from sources “close to the program“, IOW not just his opinion.

Now I have a hearing loss that sometimes makes it hard to understand folks even with my hearing aids in place (much to Anna’s frustration), but that’s what I heard.

More
5 years 2 months ago #21361 by NotOstertag
I'm not sure I heard that, but I'm also not sure I didn't. So whatever he actually said, I got the same impression: that Fran had it on pretty good authority and wasn't just hypothesizing.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot