Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Remaining Schedules for Top Big XII teams after 2019-02-11

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago #21220 by HawkErrant
Copied and updated from my earlier post in another thread. - HE

REMAINING SCHEDULES for BIG XII LEADER and all Three 2nd PLACE TEAMS
thru MONDAY 2019-02-11

All Top 4 teams are color coded and underlined.

KSTATE (8-2) 4 Home / 4 Road
FEB 12 (TUE) AT TEXAS 8:00 PM CT ESPN2
FEB 16 (SAT) VS IOWA STATE
FEB 18 (MON) AT WEST VIRGINIA
FEB 23 (SAT) VS OKLAHOMA STATE
FEB 25 (MON) AT KANSAS
MAR 2 (SAT) VS BAYLOR
MAR 4 (MON) AT TCU
MAR 9 (SAT) VS OKLAHOMA

With road games at Kansas, Texas, WVU and TCU, there is a good chance they go 1-3 or even 0-4 the rest of the way on the road.
NEXT GAME: rooting for KSU to lose is not the same as rooting for SS and the Horns, right? Because I so want KSU to lose!

KANSAS (8-4) 3 Home / 3 Road
FEB 16 (SAT) VS WEST VIRGINIA
FEB 23 (SAT) AT TEXAS TECH
FEB 25 (MON) VS KANSAS STATE
MAR 2 (SAT) AT OKLAHOMA STATE
MAR 5 (TUE) AT OKLAHOMA
MAR 9 (SAT) VS BAYLOR

KANSAS has to hold serve in AFH, which would give KSU at least 1 more loss. But unless KU suddenly finds its road legs (our guys started out right with a hard earned road win at TCU Monday night!) -- and someone else can beat KState the rest of the way -- playing at TT, OSU (bal-chatri!) and even OU does not bode well for our guys.
In the meantime, beating TCU puts the pressure on Tech and ISU to keep pace with our guys!

TEXAS TECH (7-4) 4 Home / 3 Road
FEB 13 (WED) AT OKLAHOMA STATE 8:00 PM CT ESPN2
FEB 16 (SAT) VS BAYLOR
FEB 23 (SAT) VS KANSAS
FEB 27 (WED) VS OKLAHOMA STATE
MAR 2 (SAT) AT TCU
MAR 4 (MON) VS TEXAS
MAR 9 (SAT) AT IOWA STATE

TT will probably lose 2 more games this year, but with just three road games left they have a leg up on the other top 4 teams who all have four road games left. At OSU should be a TT win, but at TCU and ISU are questionable -- although Saturday ISU showed they are vulnerable at home this year.

IOWA STATE (7-4) 3 Home / 4 Road
FEB 16 (SAT) AT KANSAS STATE
FEB 19 (TUE) VS BAYLOR
FEB 23 (SAT) AT TCU
FEB 25 (MON) VS OKLAHOMA
MAR 2 (SAT) AT TEXAS
MAR 6 (WED) AT WEST VIRGINIA
MAR 9 (SAT) VS TEXAS TECH

Saturday's home loss to TCU was a crusher for the Cyclones. Still having to travel to Fort Worth -- one of four remaining road games for the Cyclones -- for the rematch looks even worse for a team that has, as usual, had it's share of road issues this year. At best I anticipate they will finish 1-3 on the road, giving them at least 7 losses this season and leaving them short of the conference title again this year.

*Even if KU swept the rest of its regular season games, KState could still end up all alone as Big XII regular season champions as long as their only loss the rest of the way is to KU in Lawrence. We really need to take care of our business and hope that one or more of our competitors can find the key to beating KState in this last half of the season.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk, Bayhawk, Socalhawk, KMT, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 2 months ago #21225 by CorpusJayhawk
Here it is in graphic form HE. The data legend for each game shows the Opponent, Home/Away and where the game ranks in difficulty (1 through 18). KU still has their toughest game of the conference season (Texas Tech in Lubbock) but then it is all bottom half games (10-13). KU is projected to win 4.2 of the 6 remaining games. We need to win 5. K-St. is projected to win 5.3 of the remaining 8 games. We still trail them by 1.1 games in the probability standings. A KU win in Lubbock would make up for the loss to West Virginia.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, JRhawk, Bayhawk, porthawk, newtonhawk

More
5 years 2 months ago #21230 by NotOstertag
The next week and a half are clutch with
  • KSU playing @Texas and hosting ISU
  • KU playng @Tech
  • Baylor playing @Tech and @ISU
  • Tech playing @OSU, hosting Baylor, and hosting KU
  • ISU playing @KSU and hosting Baylor

With so many of the top 5 playing each other, the herd will necessarily thin out.

My predictions:
>KSU loses either @Texas or vs. ISU. 8-2 now. Will be 11-3.
>Baylor loses @Tech OR @ISU. 7-4 now. Will be 10-5 (could be 9-6).
>ISU loses @KSU and beats Baylor. 7-4 now. Will be 9-5

That puts a TON of pressure on KU's trip to Tech. We already won at TCU and should beat WVU this weekend, so we'll be 9-4. We have next week off which should help us prep for Tech. They also have the week off. Assuming that they win @OSU and beat Baylor at home, we'll both be 9-4 heading into the game. That means somebody will emerge at 10-4 (likely one game behind KSU) and the other team will be 9-5 with 4 games left in the season.

And of course, we still host KSU on the 25th. If we go in at 10-4 and KSU comes in at 11-3, a win would put us in a tie at 11-4 with 4 games left.

As always, the solution is simple: just win, baby.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, newtonhawk

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #21233 by HawkErrant

NotOstertag wrote: ...
As always, the solution is simple: just win, baby.

True, but we must remember that at this point in this season it is not enough in itself for KU.

Again, KU can win out and still need someone else to beat KState once in order to tie them for a share of the title.

I'm still hoping KState falls 3 times (here's to CJ's DPPI being right about that!) and KU wins out despite the DPPI projection.

Step 1: KU win at TCU - done!
Step 2: KState at Texas tonight -- pulling for the 'Cats to lose in Austin!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk

More
5 years 2 months ago #21236 by NotOstertag
ESPN had Texas at a 71% chance of winning tonight and ISU a 53% chance of winning in Manhattan on Saturday. Fingers crossed.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #21239 by HawkErrant
I wonder if those % are before or after factoring in the loss of Diarra?
Just hope they hold up and the 'Cats lose both.

More
5 years 2 months ago #21244 by big g
you may have seen this info already on social but with three days or more to prepare self has the second best win/loss record of any coach in the country. he has a week before texas tech on the road a week from saturdays wva game. that probably wont be factored into any model but is pretty important data i predict. plus assures i think that marcus is fully recovered and conditioned.