Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

TURNOVERS

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21175 by CorpusJayhawk
4 TO’S at the under 8:00 timeout. That is not great but given our road woes it is a frickin HOME RUN!!!! Keep it up guys.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• CorpusJayhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21177 by CorpusJayhawk
Charlie Moore excels at 2 things. Missing 3 pointers and turning the ball over. When is Marcus getting back?

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
5 years 2 months ago #21178 by Riverhawk
a very rough half for Mr. Moore. Lawson hasn't been too good either, although he's getting doubled with every touch. His brother did well off the bench. Agbaji and Dotson have been superb...they're gonna need some help to pull this one out..

• CorpusJayhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21186 by CorpusJayhawk
KJ was great off the bench. Where would this team be without Agbaji and Dotson?

More
5 years 2 months ago #21207 by Senex68
Moore I understand. He's an undersized bench player who is of no value except as an extra body for a couple of minutes each half. But Grimes is another story. Tonight he played 36 minutes. He took 11 shots. He hit 2. He was 1-8 from 3 and 1-3 from 2. He scored 5 points, managed to pick off 2 rebounds and play defense as if he was blindfolded. 36 of the emptiest minutes I've ever seen, and this game was his usual effort. I guess he's getting the minutes now because the alternative is Charlie Moore, and as bad as Grimes is playing, Moore is worse. But if Grimes doesn't improve dramatically when Garrett gets back, then something is really screwed up with Self. And I don't really expect Grimes to improve because he has been this lousy from game 2 to the present.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago #21211 by HawkErrant
Senex, I seldom disagree with your game observations as you have a much better eye for the game than I do, but I will make an exception here.

I don't disagree with the assessment of Grimes' O tonight, although he did hit that clutch shot at the half to send the guys into the locker room tied, a huge psych. The biggest plus for him on O was that he did not turn the ball over and he had 4 of the 13 assists the guys recorded (such low numbers for assists for this team).

But I thought he played really solid D tonight, at least when I was watching him. When I paid attention to him time after time his man could not get around him to get to the hoop, especially late in the game. Now perhaps earlier in the game when I was not paying so much attention to him he was matadoring it (not knowing, cannot say), but later in the game he was working hard and effectively on D, sliding his feet and keeping his man in front of him, and I was appreciative of the step up in intensity.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw, KMT, newtonhawk

More
5 years 2 months ago #21213 by Senex68
I will probably rewatch the game later this week, but it's possible I missed some of his better sequences on defense. But I'm still waiting to hear some rational explanation of why he is starting, and playing 25 plus minutes a game. He is simply not starter quality and he hasn't improved an iota since the 2nd game of the year.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #21217 by HawkErrant
I share much of your critique of him. IMO the kid suffers from having been overhyped and perhaps believing a bit too much of his pre-college press... as well as still playing catchup to the speed of the high D1 college game.

However, as an example -- I have the ESPNU replay on in the background, and I just saw that at the end of regulation after Dotson stymied Robinson, TCU got the ball into Kendrick Davis' hands. Grimes stuck to him like glue. For a split-second Davis seemed to have gotten a step on Q at the arc and makes a break for the hoop. If Q had cross stepped instead of sliding his feet, Davis would have blown by him. Instead Q stayed in front of Davis, forcing him to take a high jumpshot under pressure from 10' away, holding the ball until he could arch it over Q's outstretched hands. The resultant shot Davis took was (1) ruled after time had expired and (2) off the mark anyway.

He still has long way to go, and it's taking a long time, but it seems to me that there is incremental improvement occurring.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk

More
5 years 2 months ago #21226 by newtonhawk
I agree, HE. That defensive stop was a thing of beauty. However, later, in OT, he allowed that same kid to get by him, resulting in a foul by DM. He was working hard. It is coming along.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
5 years 2 months ago #21227 by AZhawk87
For the very first time last night I saw Grimes play - about 5-7 minutes - with confidence and without mental hesitation. He stepped into shots and seemed like he wanted to take over. It didn't last long, but it was a step in the right direction.

Watch his last second shot at the end of first half. Time was running out, he didn't have time to think or process, and just played. He looked good, and made the shot.

Any improvement from Grimes is gravy this year, but I think we'll see more from him soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KMT

More
5 years 2 months ago #21228 by AZhawk87
Charlie brings action and aggression, but I'm afraid he's in the "I started at Cal, sat a year, and now am riding the bench" mentality. When he comes in he's "getting his", meaning he's going to shoot at least a couple times before being stuck back on the bench.

In my mind, it just started a couple games ago. Frustration and higher expectation leads to selfishness and getting a few points regardless of the rest of the game going on.

Hopefully he gets back in the team mindset.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, KMT, newtonhawk

More
5 years 2 months ago #21229 by JRhawk
About Grimes, remember he was MVP of the FIBA Under 18 USA team - HCBS was HCBS. I'm guessing HCBS knows how good he can be and is giving him every opportunity.
http://www.fiba.basketball/americas/u18/2018/news/usa-claim-the-fiba-u18-americas-2018-championship Story begins after 1st pic.
About Moore - have no idea why they brought him in from Cal. Couple that with Agbaji and seems to show what an inexact science college recruiting is.
Was glad the KJ showed something good last night.

More
5 years 2 months ago #21231 by NotOstertag
One thing that occurs to me with Grimes was that the AAU thing was that it was a FIBA under 18 team. How many guys on the court (either team) are 18 or under? Not many. While being the king of the 18 and under crowd (and therefore a highly touted college freshman) you wonder how that level of competition compares to playing against even mid-level juniors or seniors.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, newtonhawk

More
5 years 2 months ago #21234 by JRhawk
Good point, NotO. All the U-18 team members were born in 2000. Only 3 of 12 were seniors - Grimes, Coby White(starting PG for UNC), & Kamaka Hepa (UT). Two of the nine seniors now are uncommitted (Cole Anthony Rivals #4 & Matthew Hurt Rivals #7). The other 7 have committed to teams like Duke, UNC, Tenn, Nova, IU, & Ill. So not exactly cannon fodder. Interestingly, Zion Williamson was one of the 32 (or some say 33) players at the start. He didn't make the first cut to 18. Your point might be a good argument for KU to stop going after the one and dones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk

More
5 years 2 months ago #21249 by Senex68
Grimes can't shoot. He can't rebound. He can't dribble/drive or penetrate with the ball. He lacks quickness and is clearly the slowest guard. He plays mediocre defense because he simply lacks elite athleticism. In short, he's just not very good. Will he get better? Almost certainly, but I cannot see him ever being a star during his time at KU. If Garrett can develop a decent jumpshot by next year, Grimes moves to the bench. Oh, I almost forgot. Grimes is an awful free throw shooter too. My question then is "have we ever had a player with so many weaknesses develop into a ststing quality performer?

Glenn Reynolds

More
5 years 2 months ago #21251 by JRhawk
I wish I could legitimately argue any of the deficiencies that you state about Grimes, but really can't. He didn't shoot very well at the FIBA games either. I guess I can only ask how did Rivals have him #8 overall and Dotson #20?
As to your final ?, if never before, hopefully Grimes is the first. I want to see KU in Atlanta at the 2020 FF.