Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

NCAA tournament referees to review buzzer shots (ESPN

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21088 by porthawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 2 months ago #21097 by NotOstertag
What's interesting is the motive. They already review them when it's close and when it can impact the outcome. As a result, reviewing shots at the halftime buzzer is pretty common, and the same goes with close shot-clock violation questions.

This seems to be directing the refs to review end-of-game shots that don't have an impact on the outcome. So when a kid sinks a half court prayer when his team is down 10, and a ruling on the floor stands, they'll now be looking at these (meaningless) situations. The motive: gambling. These shots can impact the spread.

To me, this is dumb, and I'd actually advocate for the opposite. Let the call on the floor stand, and let the gamblers deal with the risk. I've always thought betting with a spread on basketball is a dumb idea. As I've said a million times, a 20 point spread can be cut to single digits if a coach puts in his bench and both teams' scrubs screw it up. Likewise, a tight 2 point game can turn into a 10 point spread in the last minute if the winning team makes a couple shots and makes free throws.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox. College basketball just has enough of an image problem right now without giving the impression that we're now catering to the desires of gamblers.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, wardhawk, Wheatstate Gal, newtonhawk

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21098 by Wheatstate Gal
Oh good grief. I read this later in the evening yesterday, and I was POSITIVE I misread the article.

Nope. Reviewing a meaningless score, so gamblers don’t get screwed?

You are correct, NotO.....it’s a GAMBLE!!!!! Risky. Yee gawds.

(My cold must be leaving my body, allowing the crankiness to return!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, NotOstertag, newtonhawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago #21100 by HawkErrant
Crank on, Wheaty, crank on!
:woohoo: :lol: B)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

More
5 years 2 months ago #21109 by hairyhawk