Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

New Positive Focus

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21057 by AZhawk87
We find ourselves in an unusual, but interesting place. For 13 years we started with the presumption of being conf champs and then seeing how far we can go in the tourney. Anything less than that was a bad season. And the team didn't disappoint.

Now, we are having a down year by our standards, but still an overall successful season (we're not WVU having one conf victory). We will make the tourney again, and have exciting youth, and a future.

We likely will have everyone, or most everyone, back next year.

Let's see how Self plays this out now. Developing young players rather than burying them on the bench so as to ensure a conf championship. Rewarding hard play while accepting young mistakes - i.e. McCormack.

I am acknowledging the challenges of this season (Dok, Silvio and Vick's strange return), and the probability that we will have a down year by our lofty standards. I'm now just looking for improvement and hustle, with wins being a bonus.

My disappointment, and negative scrutiny of these players, ends now.

Onward! and Rock Chalk!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, Socalhawk, DocBlues, murphyslaw, KMT, Wheatstate Gal, replayloungehawk, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 2 months ago #21060 by Bayhawk

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: KMT

More
5 years 2 months ago #21062 by KMT
Well put AZhawk87. In addition to the challenges of the season, our young guards this year did not have the luxury of a seasoned guard to mentor that we've seen over the years that I feel is important for consistency each year.

With all of the transfers and freshmen out there, I'm not sure if it was Van Gundy or Billups who said it last night as KSU was starting to control the game - something to the extent of "...a lot of rookies on the floor for KU who haven't played a lot together."

Practicing is one thing - game situations, the pressure of being "KU" and streak, and on the road have shown that we definitely are missing the cohesive, leadership presence of a Frank, Devonte, Tyshawn, T-Rob, etc.

Rock Chalk to the End!

More
5 years 2 months ago #21066 by LKF_HAWK
Well put. KU is 17-6 and has beaten the likes of Tenn, MSU, Nova, Marquette, ISU, TTech, and the team is going through massive growing pains. The youth, injuries and NCAA injustice all add up to KU is going through “our fair share of stuff”. My support for the Hawks never waivers, but my confidence in them getting better this year is at an all time low. Losing to Kstate is just annoying, grapes and grape fans are just annoying.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #21069 by Wheatstate Gal
As for the morons up the river, playing KU is their super bowl, World Series championship, tourney championships, etc, etc. the floor charging, etc is pathetic.

Whatever floats your boat. I’m glad they feel good today.

But they will ever remain, KSU....the annoying grapes.
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Wheatstate Gal.

More
5 years 2 months ago #21070 by JoJoHawk
Unable to watch last night but watched “highlights” and reviewed stats. I am personally surprised that we really beat ourselves with the turnovers. I still think that this team can mature by March. To do that I think Vick has to become a bench player. I think that his nonconformist play on both the defensive and offensive ends brings the whole team down a significant notch. He should be a one trick pony to shoot the three. Should NEVER handle ball otherwise. I think that if we had our best paint defender (Dok) and best perimeter guy (Marcus) we win in spite of TO’s!
Going forward, if we can get to 10 and 5 I think we are still in the hunt. With no Dok or Silveo I would go with Dotson, Garrett, AgBaji, Lightfoot and D. Lawson as a starting 5 (3 of which I think actually bleed Crimson and Blue) and let the chips falll where they may. Just can’t figure out what’s going on with McCormick and still have hopes for Grimes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, murphyslaw

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21072 by AZhawk87
JoJo, I like your thought of starting Mitch. Man, was he fun to watch last night. He played hard, and made some solid plays.

He's earned more time, and I think will play better if he's not in for 2-3 minutes stints like he's gotten so far.

More
5 years 2 months ago #21079 by newtonhawk
I am encouraged by all of the the positive focus. I have enjoyed this board for a number of years and have always appreciated the analysis and honesty, without going ballistic, in either direction. This is my "go to" place for level-headed thought regarding Kansas basketball.

We have our moments of frustration, but most of us on this board realize we still have a great program with a great coach and a great tradition. We have said in the past ... probably, I don't know ... maybe 12 times in the past 14 years, that HCBS would have to have an effective strategy to pull out a conference championship in that given year. Well, add this year to the mix. Is it in the bag? No, and there are rare years we have felt that way. This is not one of them, but I am not ready to give up, just yet.

I have often lived by the motto, "Hope for the best and plan for the worst." I can have hope, as long as it is statistically possible for us to continue the streak and to have a respectable showing in the NCAA tourney. However, in the back of my mind I am planning as to how I will react and go on if they don't. I am not always successful, but is sure has helped, and having you all as a support system has helped a great deal.

#thxrockchalkzone
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, sasnak, Bayhawk, porthawk, murphyslaw, jaythawk1