Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

PLEASE put Vick back on the bench.

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21020 by NotOstertag
Weak defense. Terrible passing. Bad shot selection.

Please sit him back down.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 2 months ago #21022 by Riverhawk
amazing, huh? he's the senior, but acts like a freshman. this one is over

More
5 years 2 months ago #21029 by murphyslaw
Amen, NotO. We played so much better without him, and Mitch worked his tail off every minute. Why or why did Coach think putting him in would help us win?

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21044 by NotOstertag

Why or why did Coach think putting him in would help us win?

No idea. It's a total mystery.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
5 years 2 months ago #21049 by AZhawk87
What a disappointment he's become. There was a point a couple years ago when I thought he would be so exciting to watch, so athletic and explosive. But now, he's my one guy every few years who I can't wait to see move on.

I'm tired of his attitude, hand signals whenever he makes a shot, nasty faces to opponents, and horribly inconsistent play. It makes sense now that he and his mom actually thought he was NBA ready last year - watching how he is a "me first" type player and not a leader, even as a senior.

It appears Self may be done with him as well. When he passed the ball way out of bounds late in the game, Self looked down the bench, gave a disgusted, but almost emotionless, look at the subs and waved somebody in for him. Vick's face also showed a "I give up" look as well. He knew he was done.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago #21053 by HawkErrant
I will not be unhappy if Vick sits the rest of his senior season.

I know he won some games for us earlier in this season, but that player has disappeared and disappointed since then.

Such a waste of physical potential.

Time to move on, to plan and play for the future.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
5 years 2 months ago #21058 by CorpusJayhawk
Imagine if Self had not allowed Vick back. Then likely, Agbaji would have the majority of those minutes with KJ getting a few as well. Vick has had some monster games so that would potentially have been a negative. But even in those monster games, his +/- delta was negative. You can make an argument this team is as good or better with Vick not returning. Having said that. He did return and he is a Jayhawk and he does seem to be trying for the most part. He is simply not a good defensive player and he seems at times to let things get in his head. The net result is that he can be greatly inconsistent and at times leaking over into being an actual liability for the team. He is truly a conundrum.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #21065 by NotOstertag
I don't want to scapegoat Vick for our struggles this season, but it's really hard not to point a big finger in his direction.

Yes, at times he's been good, but I think AZ summed it up nicely that he's a "me first" player. No heart, minimal effort, and acts like he's entitled to be there.

If I'm Self, the first half would be pretty much how he'd be treated moving forward, except he wouldn't start. If/when I put him in, I'd make him earn every minute. The minute the effort isn't there on defense, he takes bad shot, or he makes a lazy pass, he'd be back on the bench for the duration.

It's not Self's responsibility to give him time in front of NBA scouts if he can't earn that time. Hope he's working on a degree because I don't think pro basketball is in his future.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, texkan