Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Funny, ain’t it?

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #20560 by HawkErrant
Both 6 PM CT games tonight (KSU over OU in Norman, my Aggies falling to Auburn at home) finish in plenty of time for the next events. Seems to happen a lot when it’s not KU in the second game.

Hmmm...

Yeah, yeah, I know, it’s an anecdotal observation, no real examination of enough data samples to determine what relationships exist, if any, between lead-in games and follow-on games and delayed coverage.

And yeah, I know, salience effect is huge in our observations, but it sure seems the early games ALMOST ALWAYS run long when KU is in the late game, doesn’t it?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 2 months ago #20562 by JRhawk
Seems like without exception. Not sure, but think only one timeout was called in KSU-OU game..

More
5 years 2 months ago #20587 by murphyslaw
And the fact that Duke was playing during the last two instances doesn't help. At the end of its first game, we got to see the absolutely fantastic unbelievable 3 point shot at least 3 times, then the cameras focused on handshakes, trek to the locker room, and a Duke player displaying a severe hangnail he got in a wild skirmish while fleeing from his own team mascot. Velly intellestink.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #20591 by HawkErrant
I wouldn't know I was watching KU on ESPNews.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
5 years 2 months ago #20592 by murphyslaw
Duh, I wasn't smart enough to know I had ESPNews until the second time. (Yes, really. Or almost really....)

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #20595 by HawkErrant
To be fair, when an early game runs over ESPN doesn't always shift the start of a scheduled game to preempt what is happening on ESPNews. At least one time this year the start of the game was only on ESPN+.

I have adopted the strategy of DVRing both our actual game and ESPNews in the same time block just in case I'm not around for the start of the game. Hate missing the first few minutes.

More
5 years 2 months ago #20605 by murphyslaw
Me, too. Good idea!