Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

DeSousa update - NCAA ruled ineligible through the 2019-20 season on 2019-02-01

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #20792 by NotOstertag
I've pretty much given up hope on this. We're now 20 games into our 31-game regular season. He's missed 7 of 18 conference games.

If it were anybody else, I'd say it's not worth bringing him back, but we could certainly use him even if it would result in yet another change of direction in our offense.

I'm with HE on this: unless the source is KU or the NCAA I'm not buying into any more rumors.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #20797 by sasnak
I say play him. The damage has been done. NCAA could have us vacate the wins we had last year with him. This whole thing pisses me off to no end. They are ruining this kid's life by being indecisive.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 2 months ago #20798 by HawkErrant
CJ Moore (no idea his credentials) writing in The Athletic today
As currently constructed, Kansas is getting easier to defend
Subscription site, so if anyone has access, would appreciate more on this article.

What I can provide:

LEXINGTON, Ky. — Every game day there’s an anticipation that this might be the time that Silvio De Sousa jogs onto the floor and warms up, a resolution having finally arrived that allows the sophomore big man to suit up again for Kansas after what has now been a 20-game absence.

De Sousa, instead, dressed in a black KU shirt on Saturday at Rupp Arena, sat helplessly on the bench and watched a wave of Kentucky big men swallow up the Jayhawks like dots on a Pac-Man screen during a 71-63 win.

“I think they just wore our guys out,” Kansas coach Bill Self would say afterward, an air of indifference to the result in his delivery.

It was a night in which the biggest weakness for Kansas, outside shooting, wasn’t really a weakness. The Jayhawks made 9-of-23 3s, yet there was almost a feeling of an inevitable Kentucky win and there wasn’t much Self could do about it.

And maybe that indifference was Self seeing the bigger picture: He knows a large reinforcement — in a 6-foot-9, 245-pound package — could soon be part of his arsenal.

Seth Davis of The Athletic reported today that significant progress was made late last week between the school and the NCAA as KU tries to get De Sousa eligible. Kansas is expecting a decision this week, one that could come as soon as today, and just maybe we’ll see De Sousa in uniform again. The school has acknowledged a violation took place — T.J. Gassnola, a consultant for Adidas, testified in October that he paid $2,500 to De Sousa’s guardian — and is asking for De Sousa’s reinstatement. The NCAA could rule him ineligible, could force him to sit the entire season and reevaluate in the offseason or could deem the penalty he’s served as being sufficient and reinstate him.

The decision looms large because it’s becoming clear that the Jayhawks, in their current form, have limitations that will be difficult to navigate in March.

So, there you have it... for what it's worth.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk, gorillahawk, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 months ago #20799 by Wheatstate Gal
Periodically, someone will “compare” Silvio’s situation with the NCAA to something similar involving Zion “the second coming of LeBron” Williamson at Duke.

Could someone ‘splain it to me, Lucy.....why Zion plays and Silvio sits?

An admission/proof about the $2,500?
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, texkan

More
5 years 2 months ago #20800 by JRhawk
https://theathletic.com/author/cj-moore/
In the Beyond the Streak cover, says Moore graduated from KU in 2007.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago #20851 by HawkErrant
From the post-tu game loss interview with HCBS (who reminds that he is not in the loop on the details) -
247Sports.com: Self: 'We obviously haven't sniffed getting an answer' on Silvio

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago #20862 by HawkErrant
I have read that according to Self on today's HawkTalk (I missed it) there was no news on Silvio. He added that SDS comes into his office every day happy and leaves sad when he learns there is no news.

Self seems certain that this time (unlike Billy Preston) the NCAA is going to give an answer one way or the other, and he sure seems to have expected to have it already.

SMH.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #20866 by HawkErrant
Still nothing as I write this closing in on 12:30pm Jan 31.

Tait article from yesterday’s HawkTalk

Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant.

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 month ago #20868 by NotOstertag
The only "new" information I've seen recently is confirmation that KU did confirm that they ruled Silvio guilty of the violation so that it opens the door to the NCAA to make a decision. I think we all knew that was going on, but it's confirmed now.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
5 years 1 month ago #20896 by bklynhawk

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #20897 by HawkErrant
The rest of this year and next year too because of the Cam Newton rule, even thought it is clear from everything we have seen -- and the NCAA is not saying otherwise -- that Silvio and his family did not benefit in any way shape or from from the guardian's actions.

Time to go to court, KU.

More
5 years 1 month ago #20898 by bklynhawk
Jeff Long's statement

https://twitter.com/KUHoops/status/1091474085534724096

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago #20899 by HawkErrant
Statement from Director of Athletics Jeff Long: "We are shocked and incensed by today's decision, and we will immediately appeal as this was clearly an unfair and punitive ruling for a young man who had no knowledge of any NCAA violation, nor did Silvio personally benefit from the violation. While we will continue to work with the NCAA on the broader matter, we have an obligation and a desire to advocate for our student-athletes, and will continue to do that for an outstanding young man."

Statement from Head Basketball Coach Bill Self: "In my 30-plus years of coaching college basketball, I have never witnessed such a mean-spirited and vindictive punishment against a young man who did nothing wrong. To take away his opportunity to play college basketball is shameful and a failure of the NCAA. Silvio is a tremendous young man who absolutely deserves to be on the court with his teammates in a Jayhawk uniform. This process took way too long to address these issues. We will support Silvio as he considers his options

More
5 years 1 month ago #20900 by asteroid
I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that Silvio did not benefit from taking the on-line classes. They enabled him to enroll at KU.

Conspicuous by its absence is any indication that KU will have to forfeit any of the games in which Silvio played last year.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #20901 by Wheatstate Gal
So he sits for 2 years.

If I was Silvio, I’d take my HS diploma off the wall, put it in my back pack, call Uber and go. He doesn’t even have cool wheels, like Preston.

Unless he particularly wants a college education.....he may as well go get started someplace earning some money. Like they say, you can’t teach height.

Best of luck, Silvio. We loved having you as a Jayhawk while it lasted. Once a Jayhawk always a Jayhawk.

This simply makes me sick to my stomach.
Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Wheatstate Gal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #20902 by HawkErrant

asteroid wrote: I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that Silvio did not benefit from taking the on-line classes. They enabled him to enroll at KU.

Conspicuous by its absence is any indication that KU will have to forfeit any of the games in which Silvio played last year.

There is no question that Silvio benefited from the on-line classes, and I have no issues with an X game suspension for that, even though I would argue that a guardian paying for such a course would be within his/her legal role and not at issue in and of itself. At issue would be the SOURCE of the $, that is where the violation occurred, and we have heard no evidence that Silvio knew anything other than it was the guardian's money being used for the coursework.

And that is the ONLY way we have heard that the Silvio and/or his family benefited from the guardian's greed, so I find the overall ruling to be inappropriate. And I would argue the same if the player was a KStater. Fair is fair, and this was not. There is the letter of the law and the intent of the law (in this case the bylaws), and in Silvio's case the letter of the Cam Newton rules have been observed, but the intent of them was not, especially since the $20,000 (1) never changed hands and (2) was not for Silvio to go to Kansas but to pay back the Maryland booster who was trying to get him to College Park. And again -- and as supported by Silvio wanting to go to KU instead of Maryland -- Silvio maintains he knew nothing of those deals, and neither he nor his family ever benefited from those other funds.

If Silvio knew, then yes, he screwed up and deserves this ruling.
If he didn't know -- and we've seen no prove he did, and TTBOMK his actions support his words -- then he is just screwed by this "letter of the bylaw" ruling.

The absence of the ruling on KU forfeiting games he played last year does not surprise me. That was not a time sensitive ruling, and IIRC the NCAA has already said it will not be addressing the institutional situations until after trials from the FBI investigation are over.

I fully expect that at that time the NCAA will vacate those games, unless -- and it is a very tenuous thread of hope, given there heavy handed treatment of Silvio -- they take the position that KU acted in good faith in working with the NCAA and only playing him last year after the NCAA cleared him.

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 month ago #20903 by replayloungehawk
I'm seriously getting to the point I want to just give up on college basketball. This is ridiculous. The only thing that would be awesome is if the power conferences actually did leave and form their own system.

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 month ago #20904 by NotOstertag
I'm thoroughly disgusted with the NCAA. Zion Williamson plays on, and this kid's career is in a shambles.

Time to file lawsuits. Hell, I'd even support HCBS playing him despite the NCAA. At the very least, I'd fully support KU declining the NCAA's invitation to their tournament for a few years.

One caveat: it's also possible that this thing is far dirtier than we know. I quietly hope that KU looks into things and makes sure HCBS and staff aren't arranging cash, hookers, and cocaine. If so, I want them gone. But short of that it's time to raise some hell about unequal application of rules.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
5 years 1 month ago #20905 by Governors
The unequal application of the rules had already been blatantly on display in regards to Carolina and their 18+ year scandal.

No doubt the NCAA is now trying to show they can be balanced, fair and committed to protecting the sanctity of the "student-athlete" in college sports and will now address all universities/colleges under their umbrella with the "appropriate" decision.....as long as that school isn't in the state of North Carolina (Duke or UNC).

Wouldn't want to play favorites now, would they?