Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

DeSousa update - NCAA ruled ineligible through the 2019-20 season on 2019-02-01

More
5 years 3 months ago #20682 by sasnak
I don't think NCAA wants to do anything. I think they are hoping that DeSousa gets tired of waiting and leaves ala Preston. If I were Silvio I would stay and if they keep dragging their heels, sue them.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #20689 by NotOstertag
I guess it'll happen or it won't. I assumed that the NCAA was closed yesterday for MLK day, so assuming that they're back to "work" today, having a decision today or tomorrow is logical. It's equally logical that they'll never figure it out.

In a semi-related vein, a few days ago somebody posted a story about Grimes that was pretty good. At one point they talked about how Grimes went down to help with flood victims in Houston and gave away piles of free sneakers that he had accumulated from AAU teams, etc. The article made it seem very "normal" that an amateur athlete playing in AAU would have boxes of free shoes piled up around the house.

If a pair of sneakers runs $100+ and a top AAU kid is getting tons of them for free and that's "ok" , but Silvio's career is in limbo over $2500, something seems squirrely. Not that I want Grimes punished for getting thousands of dollars of free sneakers, but it does point out a major double standard. The shoe companies can try to woo a kid by giving his team free sneakers, but if they were to try to help them academically it's a crime.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, newtonhawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 3 months ago #20692 by HawkErrant
I like the way you think, NotO.B)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #20694 by HawkErrant
From another Slant poster:

The NCAA DIVISIONS I, II AND III COMMITTEES ON STUDENT-ATHLETE REINSTATEMENT POLICIES AND PROCEDURES (Updated December 2018) talk about them trying to respond--once the request is submitted--within 48 hours:

"Reinstatement requests will be prioritized based on the next date of competition, the order in which the case was received and the timing of when the violation was discovered. After necessary information is received and a case is complete, the reinstatement staff generally requires 48 hours to complete a thorough review of the information presented before rendering a decision. Thus, if a case file is not complete until less than 48 hours prior to competition, the reinstatement staff may not be able to render a decision prior to the contest. All requests should be submitted to the reinstatement staff in a timely fashion once the violation is discovered to ensure a complete review can be conducted prior to the next competition."

In the same reg, they also have a 48 hour window to reply to any appeal once it is received.

Of note is that "The committees have one or two scheduled appeal times each week. Appeals will be scheduled during these times unless pending competition or a student-athlete's class schedule warrants review during another time. Appeals will be scheduled based on date of receipt of appeal and pending competition."

So the 48 hours makes sense. The question is are we waiting for an original decision on this issue, or a decision on an appeal?

Either way, what’s the answer?

Only time will tell...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
5 years 3 months ago #20695 by AZhawk87
I'm very serious about this - why don't we just play him? Declare that we self imposed a severe suspension, and in our eyes he's paid his dues and should play. Stand up for the kid dang it !!

Dare the NCAA to take action. Dare them to distinguish Zion from Silvio. Or dare them to distinguish Silvio from likely hundreds of kids around the country who have received benefits prior to attending college. If they take action against KU for this, they will have set a precedent that they can't undo when other cases come to light. They won't want to do that.

Say we're here for the "student athletes" first, as is the NCAA. Take a step to protect and help this student athlete, and be prepared to accept whatever comes.

I think the NCAA will blink, and won't do anything to KU.

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #20696 by NotOstertag
It would certainly force an issue. My concern is that it might cause a big distraction and could hurt us.

I'm not so worried about the NCAA. If they drop the hammer on Silvio, you're correct that they'd have to do the same to Zion.

One of the theories behind the inaction of the NCAA regarding the UNC scandal was along the lines of fear that UNC was "too big to fail". In other words, if they crushed UNC, then UNC could just quit the NCAA and (I guess) go out an schedule games independently of the NCAA. If a handful of top teams followed suit, imagine a world where UNC, Kentucky, Indiana, and maybe a half dozen other "blue blood" or close to "blue blood" teams went their own way. In theory it could split college basketball into "old school" NCAA teams, and a breakaway group not beholden to the NCAA's rules, and of course not contributing to the NCAA's coffers.

That was the theory anyway, and at some level I think the NCAA is worried most about protecting the cash cow they've built up.

I say give it the 48 hours and then look to escalate it. I would personally prefer a lawsuit against the NCAA before we just pull the trigger and let Silvio play. But that could take months if they don't cave in to the immediate negative publicity.

I also am of the belief that while the NCAA is all about protecting themselves, they also have some bodies buried that they don't want unearthed. Whether it's the UNC thing or any other number of "scandals" I'm sure if we shined a bright light into their dealings we'd see ugly Adidas, Nike, and Under Armour footprints (and cash receipts) lying around that they don't want us to know about.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
5 years 3 months ago #20697 by AZhawk87
You're absolutely right NotO. Let's see how much sponsor money Nike, Adidas, et al paid to the NCAA for March Madness rights over the years. Their hands are not clean either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KMT

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #20699 by Wheatstate Gal
“Follow the money”. Deep Throat

Quite interesting....golly, I love this board. I’m so naive, I think commercials are just inconvenient game flow interrupters.

WSG, aka “Sore Throat”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #20711 by NotOstertag
So much for that "48 hour" theory, I guess. Any other scuttlebutt out there? I'm getting nothing on google.

More
5 years 3 months ago #20713 by AZhawk87
Nothing here. A good friend's son is at KU, and is always the first to hear anything and report to me. He hasn't heard anything.

I say PLAY HIM !

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 3 months ago #20717 by HawkErrant
If we don’t hear anything Thursday it’s possible that KU and Silvio are appealing an initial NCAA reinstatement decision.

I don’t like the thought of that.

Fingers crossed.

Come on, NCAA, give the guy some guideposts so he can plan his future!

More
5 years 3 months ago #20721 by asteroid
The board says your item was posted 2 days 17 hours ago, or 65 hours ago. That's more than 48 hours. Beginning to sound like fake news.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 3 months ago #20723 by HawkErrant
It does, doesn't it?

Bah!

More
5 years 3 months ago #20726 by hairyhawk
Tomorrow is going to be another day. The way I read the article on how the NCAA looks at these things, when the next competition is plays into when they make the decision. Since the Hawks do not play until Saturday they would not make a decision until just before that. Even with the 48 rule they said they take that into consideration. Hopefully we will hear some good news tomorrow. Just to be clear I do not know anything but am trying to stay positive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #20727 by replayloungehawk
It's total BS in my opinion. Somewhere I read that the NCAA has so many students to go through and what not. I think that's a load. There are not case after case after case like De Sousa's that they are working on. At least not in my opinion but heck what do I know. Just seems like a long drawn out process for no reason and if it were Duke, Kentucky or UNC I bet it would have already been resolved. I am almost certain if it were Princess Coach K they'd have had this resolved long ago...

More
5 years 3 months ago #20739 by AZhawk87
I was talking with my KY friend today about our annual bet, and found myself saying that we're having a substandard year from KU expectations.

Then Captain Obvious struck, and I pictured a front line of Dok, DeSousa and Lawson, with Lightyear and McCormack off the bench.

What a difference that would make to our offensive woes and lack of rim protection. A far cry from day one expectations to the roster we have now. Made me think we're actually having a very solid year with the talent we actually have at our disposal. That's even with Grimes severely under performing expectations.

Keep up the good work guys!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #20753 by HawkErrant
Nothing official to report so far today, Saturday, January 26 as of 3:32 PM CT

JayhawkSlant has a new thread about CBS' Seth Davis (this guy again?!?) saying his NCAA sources tell him Silvio will play next Saturday against Texas Tech, the game scheduled in AFH.

Okaaaay...

Another poster in the same thread reports that he has heard from a friend that HCBS told the friend Self expects "big news coming this weekend". If true and good news I would think that would mean Silvio will be available for tu in Austin on Tuesday.

Riiiight...

I will continue to comment on what I'm reading regarding Silvio and his situation.

Be advised I'm not believing anything on Silvio unless it is officially from the NCAA or KU.

The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, porthawk, JhawkMom, murphyslaw, newtonhawk

More
5 years 2 months ago #20754 by newtonhawk
I really appreciate the updates. I am trying to be careful not to get my hopes up too high. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• jaythawk1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • RCJH! e'77, b'77
More
5 years 2 months ago #20780 by jaythawk1
Well...it's Sunday...any word?

Education Is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence~Robert Frost

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 2 months ago #20785 by HawkErrant
No news as of 4:37PM Sunday