Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

What to do with Vick

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #20493 by AZhawk87
Wow. We turned off the Hawks game yesterday to watch the Chiefs when we were up 19 with under 2:00 to play.

I just watched the last five minutes, which showed four excruciatingly clear issues:

1. Baylor made everything.
2. Baylor got about 10 offensive rebounds in the last minute
3. We are horrific at free throws. Misses are clangs, not just misses.
4. Vick is Brannen Greene. He is utterly clueless under pressure with the ball, and chucks it away with no clue where it's going. And he stinks at dribbling - always on the verge of losing control.

But, he's at times unconscious shooting threes, on a team with no other shooter.

I'll take his threes, but please please don't pass him the ball unless he's standing on the perimeter ready to shoot.
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by AZhawk87.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 3 months ago #20495 by HawkErrant
Vick had a practically perfect 22nd birthday thru the first 34 minutes of the Baylor game. At the 6:11 mark the Jayhawks led Baylor by 23 points, 64-41, in large part thanks to Vick’s 18 points, decent defense and excellent ball care yielding just 1 turnover (at the 8:10 mark of the second half; he had 0 in H1).

Unfortunately he played for that last 6:11, and his teammates didn’t exactly shine in those 6 minutes either to help offset his “generosity” when handling the ball.

Vick had 0 points and 3 of KU’s 5 turnovers in the last 6:11. Dotson and Grimes had the other two. KU only had 6 TOs in H1, and just 3 for the first 13:49 of H2 before finishing with those 5 for a total of 14.

Combine that performance with the failure to rebound (KU 6, BU 17) and lackluster FT shooting (9-16) from the team as a whole in that same 6+ minutes.

Near miss of a catastrophic collapse was our result.

What to do about Vick?

Given the outside shooting situation this year, I sure don’t have an answer. It seems we may be destined to live by the Vick, die by the Vick... and our on again, off again free throw shooting (<60% for the game... without Dok!)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #20496 by hairyhawk
We will need to play smarter than we did the end of that game. I think everyone agrees on that. I am not sure why we could not handle the pressure but I would not put it all on Vick. We have been a bit spoiled with Mr Graham and Mr Mason the last few years. My real concern is if we look that bad against a team that doesn't normally press what will do against teams that do.
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by hairyhawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 3 months ago #20497 by HawkErrant

hairyhawk wrote: We will need to play smarter than we did the end of that game. I think everyone agrees on that. I am not sure why we could not handle the pressure but I would not put it all on Vick. We have been a bit spoiled with Mr Graham and Mr Mason the last few years. My real concern is if we look that bad against a team that doesn't normally press what will do against teams that do.

For me I don’t “put it all on Vick.” He may have been the worst actor in those last 6 minutes - 3 TOs, 2 in the last 52 seconds, leading to 5 BU points - but he was far from the only one, as I noted. 5 KU fouls by 3 other players led to 4 BU points (BU was 4-5 until terrible FT shooter Vital missed both the last two), plus there was the huge rebounding margin that kept giving BU additional possessions and our own less than stellar FT shooting that helped power the BU comeback.

Lots of issues to address, Vick’s ball handling is just one.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63