Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Vick caught on surveillance camera cutting brake lines on Agbaji's car. ;)

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #20433 by NotOstertag
I anticipate that headline to appear in the papers very soon. :dry:

Welcome Ochai Agbaji! Talk about a debut! I'm sure that there are Self haters out there criticizing him for redshirting him in the first place. Great line: 3-5 (60%) shooting, 1-2 from 3 (50%), 4 boards, 1 assist, 2 steals, 1 block, 2 fouls. ZERO turnovers.

So now let's compare that to LeGerald's numbers: 5-10 shooting (50%), 2-7 from 3 (28%), 2 boards, 4 assists, SIX turnovers.

Vick's 6 turnovers were half of the team's total of 12. At halftime, I think Vick had 4 or 5 which was far and away more than anybody else on the team.

I know it's way to early to judge Agbaji, but if these numbers prove to be "typical" I'd anticipate Vick losing his starting spot to Agbaji. Vick's 3 point shot selection is HIGHLY suspect and combined with the way he's throwing the ball away, I'm now officially CRINGING every time he gets the ball and breathing huge sighs of relief when he doesn't screw up. Hell, I even trust Garrett more with the ball (3 assists, zero turnovers) because I think he's playing within his offensive limitations.

Hoping Vick figures it out, but not expecting it. Shot selection and turnovers are most often "mental" mistakes, and I'm not sure that Vick is smart enough or coachable enough to get on the right trajectory.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #20436 by Wheatstate Gal
Oh my gosh......I missed the emoji when I skimmed topics. I nearly had a heart attack!

In addition to playing well, the kid is articulate and mature in the after game press room....didn’t mumble, giggle.

May his solid play continue, leading to more press room coverage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk

More
5 years 3 months ago #20437 by JRhawk
I'm certainly not a Self hater, but do have serious questions about why he red-shirted Agbaji, especially when he played 25 minutes in his first game last night. I heard Fran F say that HCBS told him he was worried Agbaji would take KJ's minutes. Of course both KJ and Charlie Moore used their red-shirt year via their transfers. If HCBS was worried about the future Lawson pipeline, that is probably moot now, with Chandler committing to Oregon & PH now coaching Memphis. I realize with Dok out and going to a 4 guard lineup, the landscape is somewhat different. However, if the playing time continues as it was last night (Agbaji 25 minutes - rest of bench 26 minutes), then the red-shirt never made any sense, IMHO.

More
5 years 3 months ago #20438 by hoshi
Was at the game. The crowd was really into Agbaji playing. The kid is really smart on defense. He is a Self-player defensively and really moves his feet and always knows here his man is. His feeding D Lawson was really impressive. He is the antithesis of Vick but Vick going off in any one game may make up for his lapses. All Vick has to do is do a Newman in the last six games of the season. Will we win the Big 12, maybe, but I would rather see this team grow and be a force in March/April. Now we need McCormack to become Doke II.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 3 months ago #20442 by NotOstertag
Sorry Wheaty. My original subject line was even more realistic, so I backed it down a little bit. :dry:

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #20443 by HawkErrant

hoshi wrote: Was at the game. The crowd was really into Agbaji playing. The kid is really smart on defense. He is a Self-player defensively and really moves his feet and always knows here his man is. His feeding D Lawson was really impressive. He is the antithesis of Vick but Vick going off in any one game may make up for his lapses. All Vick has to do is do a Newman in the last six games of the season. Will we win the Big 12, maybe, but I would rather see this team grow and be a force in March/April. Now we need McCormack to become Doke II.

First, thanks for the courtside commentary on Ochai, hoshi! High hopes for the lad to be an impact player the rest of the way.

On McCormack -- I'd love to see Big Dave get more time to hone his skills on both ends of the court, but I'm wondering how much of a chance he will be given to develop with the move to 4-1?

He had exactly 1 minute against TCU, which makes sense given the HFs penchant for playing small (other than 6-11 Kevin Samuel with 26 minutes, 6-8 JD Miller with 25 and 6-7 Kouat Noi with 28 accounting for 79 of the 200 minutes available, the rest of the guys that played the other 121 minutes were 6-5 or less).

And where does Big Dave matchup defensively against the Bears?

The situation against Baylor looks to be similar to the TCU game. 6-9 Tristan Clark (29.8 mpg) is a load, and Mario Kegler (28.6 mpg) is 6-7, but no one else averaging more than 15 minutes per game is over 6-5. Does Big Dave come in to battle against Clark?

I can see HCBS putting 6-6 Garrett against 6-9 Clark (14.2 PPG). 6-1 Dotson defends 6-1 Makai Mason (15.1 PPG) on D, and Dedric covers 6-7 Kegler (8.8 PPG). Who covers 6-3 King McClure, at 10.2 PPG, the 3rd best scorer and best 3pt shooter for the Bears? Slow footed but improving Grimes? "Where in the World is the Head of" Lagerald Vick? Maybe "I'm Ready to Play Today" Ochai? And whoever is left covers some combination of Vital/Butler/Bandoo?

I haven't looked at the rest of the Big 12 teams to see if there are any really tall teams this year. Maybe we see Big Dave's size and strength against Texas (next after BU) or currently 0-3 WVU after that?

If Big Dave can make the jump up to effective minutes in the paint, and Ochai can build upon his debut, we are going to be a tough nut for anyone to crack.

(Please note, folks - don't make my mistake, Dedric's name ends with a c, not a k. I always want to put that "k" on the end. :dry: )

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by HawkErrant. Reason: fix Dedric's name

More
5 years 3 months ago #20444 by Illhawk
A fellow freshman is the one who stands to lose PT. Dotson handles the ball and Vick is at least a threat to make a run of threes ( a 3 of 5 or 4/6 half is always possible.) They both get 25-30 minutes if healthy and not in foul trouble; Mr Grimes not so much and I honestly can't figure out why.

More
5 years 3 months ago #20448 by hairyhawk
I agree that Vick needs to be better for this team to really excel. People are quick to point out that he had half of the teams 12 turnovers but nobody has mentioned that he led the team in assists also. Hopefully he can learn to be better in his assist to turnover margin.

More
5 years 3 months ago #20449 by hairyhawk
I hope he realizes he needs to learn to make that outside shot. It is the difference between him making hundreds of thousands of dollars playing basketball versus making tens of millions of dollars playing basketball.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 3 months ago #20452 by HawkErrant

hairyhawk wrote: I agree that Vick needs to be better for this team to really excel. People are quick to point out that he had half of the teams 12 turnovers but nobody has mentioned that he led the team in assists also. Hopefully he can learn to be better in his assist to turnover margin.

Although I did not specifically mention his team high 4 assists, I did comment in an earlier thread “despite his other contributions” in recognition that his turnovers were what kept him from having an otherwise great game.

The thing that got me was that he was forcing his passes trying to get the ball inside ( bad decisions) as much as he was turning the ball over driving or just losing the handle out front ( bad skills). He cuts his TOs in half if he just makes better decisions.

I really really want good Vick, and hope he can get his ballhandling sorted ASAP. I’m pulling for the young fella.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
5 years 3 months ago #20455 by JRhawk
Thanks for your at game input. I wonder if at least part of the crowd enthusiasm for Agbaji is because he's from KCMO. Also, his mom was in the stands. Some might have wondered why the first KU recruit from that area in a while was red-shirted. IMHO, not a ringing endorsement for future recruiting.
That said, hopefully he is the spark the team needs. I agree with what has been said about Vick being out of control. Not sure why he feels the need to dribble the ball so much. They have plenty of other guards who can actually do that.