Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Got another win tonight!

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 3 months ago #20429 by HawkErrant
But Vick, as much as he contributed, almost killed the team for a second game in a row with 6 turnovers (team totaled 12) to go with the 7 he had against ISU.

I know we need his outside shooting, but he only made 2-7 tonight, and he needs to improve on his TOs, most of which were just plain low hoops IQ mistakes. If he doesn't, he may end up losing major playing time -- and he has been leading the team in minutes played.

BIG XII STANDINGS
School		Big 12		Overall	Pct.	
Texas Tech	3 - 0		14 - 1	.933	
Kansas		2 - 1		13 - 2	.867	
Iowa State	2 - 1		12 - 3	.800	
Texas		2 - 1		10 - 5	.667	
TCU		1 - 1		12 - 2	.857	
Baylor		1 - 1		9 - 5	.643	
Oklahoma	1 - 2		12 - 3	.800	
Kansas State	1 - 2		11 - 4	.733	
Oklahoma State	1 - 2		7 - 8	.467	
West Virginia	0 - 3		8 - 7	.533	
As of January 09, 10:03 PM CT

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw, KMT, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 3 months ago #20432 by KMT
Agreed re Vick - I kept screaming at him via the TV to the effect of "stop forcing it".

Not sure where all of a sudden he feels he needs to be the primary ball handler in certain situations - a quick look at his stats show that his avg/TOs per game (3.0) this year are higher than the last two years combined (1.6, 1.1).

More
5 years 3 months ago #20435 by NotOstertag
I've commented elsewhere on this but I agree. He had half of our 12 turnovers last night. Think about that. UGH.

I get very uncomfortable now when he gets the ball. It seems that his thought process is to immediately look to launch a 3, but then he remembers Self saying something about not doing that right away. Wracked with indecision he'll dribble back and forth for a while and go nowhere, but slow down any offense that's been setting up. Finally with no other options he'll throw a questionable pass.

He appears to be regressing. As of tonight he's got a 2:3 assist/turnover ratio (30 assists, 45 TOs). Until the last 3 games he has 17 turnovers. Prior to that he was averaging 2.5 turnovers per game, and over the last 3 it's 5.6. That, combined with his falloff in shooting (I blame this on shot selection) and he's becoming a liability.

Here are the worst offenders for turnovers/minute:
Dok (.098 TO/min)
Vick (.088)
Grimes (.082)
D. Lawson (.071)
Dotson (.071)
KJ (.058)
Moore (.047)
Lightfoot (.045)
Garrett (.033)
McCormack (.030)

Teahan, Luinjstra, and Agbaji have yet to have a turnover. Vick's TO/Min for the last 3 games is a staggering .189 or roughly twice that of Dok's season average, and Dok generally has at least 2 or 3 guys hanging off him.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, porthawk, murphyslaw, KMT, Wheatstate Gal, jaythawk1