Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Tait: Self exploring idea of pulling redshirt off freshman guard Ochai Agbaji

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 3 months ago #20391 by HawkErrant
www2.kusports.com/news/2019/jan/07/kansa...ng-idea-pulling-red/

I like it.

With Dok out and no Silvio and no outside shooters in sight and the likelihood of playing a lot of 4-1... skipper, it's all hands on deck!

Yes? No?

Your thoughts...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 3 months ago #20394 by JRhawk
No - leave him be. HCBS doesn't play the bench anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
5 years 3 months ago #20396 by NotOstertag
This smells like a contrived story. Here's what I mean:
1.) reporter has an idea on what coach should do
2.) reporter asks a question to see if his idea makes sense to the coach
3.) coach responds and now you have a story about this "consideration".

Reporter: "Hey coach, have you asked the NCAA if we can get special clearance to play 4 on 4 until we get up to full strength?"
Coach: "Um, we're looking at all of our options and trying to figure out our lineup."
Tomorrow's Headline: "Coach hasn't ruled out asking NCAA to allow KU to play 4-on-4 to get past roster woes"

Here's what Self said when he was asked about the redshirt issue:
"I haven’t made a decision to do that whatsoever because if you bring him out, you bring him out to play him. Is he good enough? Absolutely. There’s no question. But the reality of it is, it’s a different pressure that he hasn’t had a chance to experience.”

In this case, the reporter interpreted this as "Self Exploring Idea". I interpret that quote more along the lines of, "Yes, you silly reporter, we've looked at all of our options because I'm a HOF coach who's done this pretty well for a long time. So, yeah, sure, the idea was one of 150 I had this week, but it's not really on the table."

Just my 2 cents. I agree...if he thought he had minutes available, he wouldn't have red shirted him in the 1st place.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 3 months ago #20403 by HawkErrant
For the record, Tait is not the only one reporting the possibility after Self’s presser. Of course it’s possible everyone else is doing the same as Tait is in your scenario. However, my experience with his work is that he’s pretty straightforward in his coverage.

And I’m for Ochai playing if Self is really looking at going 4-1 most of the time now. So far only Dotson has shown to be consistently reliable from 3, and if OA can show he can be and can play decent defense, he will be a much needed boost for this team.

And it will take some of the pressure off of McCormack in his efforts to step up as well if it turns out we suddenly have another weapon.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
5 years 3 months ago #20407 by NotOstertag
"I’m for Ochai playing if Self is really looking at going 4-1 most of the time now"

I don't know enough about him to have an opinion, but I agree that if we're going to be 4-1 on offense, AND Ochai is ready to play some meaningful minutes, then by all means, let him play. I guess I was responding to the way the story was written than to the actual validity of the idea in Self's eyes.

That's really the million dollar question: is he ready to give us meaningful minutes? Only Self knows that one (unless you've been sneaking into practices). :dry:

Self is also being pretty coy with what info he's releasing (as he should be). I'm sure that the gears started churning the moment that they learned Dok was out, and within a very short time the whole staff had settled on the plan forward. They'll have had 3 days to install this "new look", so we'll get a very good idea of the plan tomorrow night. As for Self not showing his cards, that's just smart. Yes the fans want to know, but TCU REALLY wants to know, so if keeping them in the dark until tipoff is possible, we fans will just have to be patient.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
5 years 3 months ago #20409 by Illhawk
The trade-off is that a young man loses his 2022-2023 season. That seems a long ways down the road and the odds of HCBS still being here , if the NCAA doesn't do something crazy, are maybe 50/50.

This seemed like the year we could do big things and with limited recruits and DL likely gone ( at present he and Grimes project in the second round) now or never thinking seems possible,

My question is how much better of a shooter/defender than Moore is he? .

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 3 months ago #20410 by HawkErrant

Illhawk wrote: The trade-off is that a young man loses his 2022-2023 season. That seems a long ways down the road and the odds of HCBS still being here , if the NCAA doesn't do something crazy, are maybe 50/50.

This seemed like the year we could do big things and with limited recruits and DL likely gone ( at present he and Grimes project in the second round) now or never thinking seems possible,

My question is how much better of a shooter/defender than Moore is he? .

Good question. Except for one game Moore has not impressed so far. However, Moore is more a relief guy for Dotson is he not? And Ochai won't be playing PG.

But same question could be asked for KJ, And is Ochai a better scorer/defender than any of the other backup guys playing the 2-3-4, since that is where he would come in?

Most of the guys on the team are saying OA is one of the (if not the) most athletic players on the team and a scorer (note: they don't say shooter, they say scorer) and decent defender in practice.

All conjecture, bottom line is we will know Self's thoughts on the subject if the RS comes off -- or doesn't.

More
5 years 3 months ago #20411 by NotOstertag

My question is how much better of a shooter/defender than Moore is he?

Assuming, of course, that he IS a better shooter/defender. Perhaps the reason he was redshirted was because he needs to develop in those areas.

Again, no way of knowing, but I imagine that if he was as good as the guys who we currently have on the active roster, he may not have been red shirted.

Keep in mind we also have freshman guard Elijah Elliot on the roster. Self had a choice to redshirt either him or Agbaji and chose to red shirt Agbaji, so one would assume that Self felt Elliot would have a leg up on minutes vs. Agbaji and I don't think Elliot has even touched the floor yet.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 3 months ago #20412 by HawkErrant

NotOstertag wrote:

My question is how much better of a shooter/defender than Moore is he?

Assuming, of course, that he IS a better shooter/defender. Perhaps the reason he was redshirted was because he needs to develop in those areas.

Again, no way of knowing, but I imagine that if he was as good as the guys who we currently have on the active roster, he may not have been red shirted.

Keep in mind we also have freshman guard Elijah Elliot on the roster. Self had a choice to redshirt either him or Agbaji and chose to red shirt Agbaji, so one would assume that Self felt Elliot would have a leg up on minutes vs. Agbaji and I don't think Elliot has even touched the floor yet.

To your bolded comment, an alternative assumption could be that Self knew neither would get much play this year barring injuries, but not wanting to totally shortsheet the roster this year, he put the guy with the most long term potential in the RS. My thought -- the fact that Self is even giving the idea any credence at all with the press after Dok's injury sways me to believe that at present Self thinks OA has more to offer than not just SG Elliot, but also others not seeing a whole lot of playing time so far..

More
5 years 3 months ago #20413 by NotOstertag
Solid logic, HE. It would be interesting to see what other factors are bouncing around in Self's noggin, but he ain't tellin'.

At this point it's all speculation I guess, and I have a feeling that things will be much clearer in a little over 24 hours.

Rock Chalk.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant