Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Grimes

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #20121 by AZhawk87
He comes to KU off of a MVP performance in FIBA Americas tournament.

Now, after ten games, I ask myself can he shoot, pass, dribble, slash, finish at the rim, rebound or dribble? I can't answer any one of those. This certainly is not a negative comment on him. Frankly, I know so little about him still that I can't make much of any comment about him at all.

What I did see yesterday was a look of utter frustration on his part when he made his first free throw. Hopefully he breaks out soon and goes on a tear. We sure could use one more player to make some points and and take pressure off Lawson and Vick.
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by AZhawk87.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 4 months ago #20122 by CorpusJayhawk
Grimes excited us all with his play this summer and his opening couple games. Then he not only disappeared, he has become almost a liability. You can’t erase his resume’ so their has to be hope that he is just adjusting and will come along. But how long do you play 4 on 5 before you bench him and put in KJ? KJ has not looked like a key option but he has been solid. His shots in recent games have not even been close. His defense, while reasonably solid, is not great. And where is the board pounding? He just seems to be floating around on the floor.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 4 months ago #20125 by AZhawk87
We're almost 3 on 5 on the offensive end. Garrett is so bad offensively that he's not even a threat to shoot, let alone score. In fact our opponents succeed when they force us into Garrett being open and chucking up a clanker.

He's actually very solid driving to the hoop and finishing, but that happens maybe once a game.

I know he's our best defender, so I guess we're destined to keep him in there and win these low scoring, nail biter games. Defend well, rebound poorly, and eke out enough points to get by.

More
5 years 4 months ago #20133 by NotOstertag
Felt the same way about Malik Newman last year at this time. He'd linger on the perimeter hoping to launch a 3, wasn't aggressive, didn't impress on defense.

Then the switch came on and I no longer was yelling "NOOOOO" when he'd get the ball. I kind of feel that Grimes is going to do the same thing.

I'd like to be really cool and predict that it'll happen tomorrow (it might) but the kid has demonstrated too much skill previously for it NOT to happen with him.

I agree that maybe having him come off the bench might help. Or it might not. I am confident that very soon the toggle will be put into the "on" position and we'll all breathe a deep sigh of relief.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJHawker