Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Just enough to win...again

• DrJHawker
  • DrJHawker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #20105 by DrJHawker
KU knows how to win down the stretch, is undefeated and #1 in the nation. Yet, we haven't put it together yet. Most of the game was the D. Lawson and Vick show on offense. Glad to see Vick get his shot back - please Legerald, don't be late again. For being a freshmen, Dotson is solid at the point. Garrett is a defensive stud. When Dok gets healthy, Grimes starts playing to his capability and DeSousa becomes qualified (not holding my breath) - we will be as good as our ranking.

Question - has anybody seen #11 Texas Tech? They weren't supposed to be this good. But they are 9-0 and have clobbered everyone they've played. I guess we'll see in two games, when they play the Dukies. Chris Beard may be one of the best coaches in the country. I hope Tech can hold on to him.
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by DrJHawker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 3 months ago #20106 by Bayhawk
Just enough, good enough, but jeez, I can't take this much longer!!!!

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #20110 by HawkErrant
His career has been nothing but success, as shown below in his HC record. He spent 10 years at TT under both Knights, and his daughters live near Lubbock. I don't care if he's a tu-Austin alum, IMO he's not leaving TT without a significant reason from TT to leave. No outside inducement is moving him as long as his family is in the area.

Below data taken from Wikipedia: Chris Beard
Season	Team		Overall	Conference	Standing	Postseason
McMurry War Hawks (Heartland Conference) (2012–2013)
2012–13	McMurry		19–10	10–8		None		NCCAA Regional Final*
.	McMurry:	19–10 (.655)	10–8 (.556)
Angelo State Rams (Lone Star Conference) (2013–2015)
2013–14	Angelo State	19–9	8–6		3rd	
2014–15	Angelo State	28–6	11–3		2nd		NCAA D-II Third Round
	Angelo State:	47–15 (.758)	19–9 (.679)	

Little Rock Trojans (Sun Belt Conference) (2015–2016)
2015–16	Little Rock	30–5	17–3		1st		NCAA Second Round
	Little Rock:	30–5 (.857)	17–3 (.850)	

Texas Tech Red Raiders (Big 12 Conference) (2016–present)
2016–17	Texas Tech	18–14	6–12		T–7th	
2017–18	Texas Tech	27–10	11–7		T–2nd		NCAA Elite Eight
2018–19	Texas Tech	9-0			
	Texas Tech:	54–24 (.692)	17–19 (.472)	

Total:	150–54 (.735)
*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Christian_College_Athletic_Association

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJHawker

More
5 years 3 months ago #20111 by Senex68
At this point in the season, Grimes should not be starting. I have no idea what he is doing while on the floor but playing well does not describe him. He appears totally lost, or perhaps simply untalented. It's clear that he is talented, but right now he's a liability. Dotson is fine, but still not a great PG. Unless Grimes figures it out we're not going anywhere this season, or at least nowhere beyond the Sweet 16.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk

More
5 years 3 months ago #20113 by murphyslaw
Personally, I saw this game as a very hard fought game between two very talented teams. We weren't coming from behind most of the time as we did in some past games. I will be overjoyed when we learn how to defend the three-point shot consistently and when we learn when NOT to foul, but this time I didn't feel we just wandered around the floor until the last few minutes.

Although Lawson and Vick were crucial in our win, my vote for MVP would be Mitch Lightfoot for his defensive contribution. Wish I had noted how many times he altered the opponent's shot today. The young man may be lacking in talent, but I see no one working any harder than he does on the floor. (I admit to being a bit biased when it comes to Mitch.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
5 years 3 months ago #20115 by KMT
Agreed Senex, I was thinking about that during the game that maybe Grimes coming off the bench might actually help him get his focus and/or take pressure off a bit being a starter. Several times during the game he passed up open looks/drives to dish off; and a couple of drives he saw opening too late.

The one thing about this team though, they don't appear to panic and find ways to win.

Rock Chalk!

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 3 months ago #20116 by HawkErrant

murphyslaw wrote: Personally, I saw this game as a very hard fought game between two very talented teams. We weren't coming from behind most of the time as we did in some past games. I will be overjoyed when we learn how to defend the three-point shot consistently and when we learn when NOT to foul, but this time I didn't feel we just wandered around the floor until the last few minutes.

Although Lawson and Vick were crucial in our win, my vote for MVP would be Mitch Lightfoot for his defensive contribution. Wish I had noted how many times he altered the opponent's shot today. The young man may be lacking in talent, but I see no one working any harder than he does on the floor. (I admit to being a bit biased when it comes to Mitch.)

murph, today the guys played great defense, especially first shot defense, at least until the last 2 minutes. Nova was 24-59 (40.7%) from the field, 16-31 (51.6%) from inside the arc, but shooting just 8-28 (28.6%) from 3 today. At least 4 of their 8 trey makes were off shots that came after offensive rebounds before the KU defense could adjust after the rebound. Thankfully KU outrebounded Nova 35-26, or the story could have been very different.

Also of note for me -- clutch FT shooting in H1 (7-8 ) and down the stretch in H2 (11-12). They started H2 5-10 before that. In the post-game radio interview Self even mentioned they were 12-18 from the line before going on that 11-12 streak to end the game at 76.7% from the stripe.

Our in close shooting wasn't the greatest, either. We missed quite a few lay-ups in this game, resulting in the guys just making 18 of 31 close in shots. 58% is a solid #, but of our 13 misses at least 5 were point blank range, and 74% is a heckuva lot better than 58%.

A lot of good stuff happened today, and some not so good (e.g., missing the in-close shots and that harebrained foul at the end), but all in all, a solid win over a Top 25 team. Never something to sneeze at.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

More
5 years 3 months ago #20124 by CorpusJayhawk
First of all, it’s always good to see the venerable Senex on the board. As for the Dotson is “fine but not a great PG” comment. I agree but with clarification. Dotson is not the facilitator and offensive contributor that he will be in 2 or 3 years. He has a long way to go on that end of the floor. But his defense is already at a high level and will only get better as he learns how to read the scout. His innate physical defensive ability is amazing. At D1 level, innate physical defensive skills is not enough to be an elite defender but it takes you a long way. I have noticed that he also seems to be reading the scout better and better as we have played some outstanding PG’s thus far. There are a number of times in transition or secondary breaks that he had the ball in his hands and I envisioned Frank or Devonte’ and realized Devon is still a freshman and I can’t expect him to live up to those standards. But he is ahead of where both were as freshmen or at the very least on par.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, porthawk

More
5 years 3 months ago #20126 by hoshi
I was at the game. Great atmosphere. On Dotson, defensively, he can stay in front of his man. Gillespie was frustrated all day because he could not initiate their offense while being guarded by Dotson. I will echo to some extent Lightfoot's contribution. What surprised me was how well the team played when both he and Lawson were on the floor. There was not the conflict we were seeing earlier when Lawson and Doke were out there together. Doke may not have played much in this game because he would have had trouble guarding outside. We are still offensively challenged as a team but yesterday was by far the best defensive effort for the year. The guys were dialed in and were following the scouting report, especially with respect to the three point line. We usually do not play well in early games, no so yesterday.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk

More
5 years 3 months ago #20132 by NotOstertag
The good news is that we played very good defense. If you're Bill Self, that's the foundation piece. He certainly seems to like tough defensive teams and trusts that his system will provide offense. I'm not going to argue with him until I'm inducted in the HOF, but good defense is certainly a good thing.

Right now we're too reliant on Vick. Granted he was hot as hell, but he also disappears at times. He didn't shoot the 3 well at all on Saturday and that appeared to me to be overconfidence leading to poor shot selection. The good news is that he's also scoring in other ways, utilizing his athleticism. Nevertheless I don't want to have to rely on him getting 20+ for us to win.

On the opposite end of the scale, Dedric is amazing. You barely notice him and he delivers yet another double double. For as much as I don't WANT to rely on Vick, I trust relying on Lawson. Boneheaded last foul though. Drove me crazy.

Other than that, we missed some chippies and still look lost way too often. All that can change.

Ok now for the most negative thing: we had a 3 possession lead with 39 seconds left (up 7, 69-62). Lawson and Dotson's fouls down the stretch made the game MUCH more interesting than it needed to be. Both were pure boneheadedness that I'm sure will be addressed.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot