Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Pick-a-Fave Round 2 --Top 39 (this gets tough)

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 4 months ago #20081 by CorpusJayhawk
The votes have been cast and there were 39 players receiving votes. There will be 10 picks in round 2. From there we will get the top 5, the starting 5 of favorite KU players recruited by Coach Self. Then we will do it with Coach Roy and coach Brown and see how those two teams compare. Get ready for some tough picks. This one is a lot tougher.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk, Wheatstate Gal, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 4 months ago #20092 by Wheatstate Gal
Thanks, CJ!

I’m discovering that my faves tend to be the Bigs, and skittering little point guards—and a bit of “bad boy” mixed in sometimes.

Who knew?

Rock Chalk!

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #20093 by HawkErrant
I’m assuming that groupings matching a favorite guard like Graham against a favorite big like Withey were made as a final option. Makes no sense to me to have those two favorites of completely different skill sets going up against each other.

Yeah, I’m a “whine & geez”er... don’t like having to choose between a great small and a great big when ideally I’d have them both on my team.

And may I suggest that you develop top 7s, or at least 5+2s, instead of just top 5s?

IMO no college team can truly be great without at least a solid 6th man off the bench, and preferably 7th as well - one big, one small.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by HawkErrant.

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 4 months ago #20094 by CorpusJayhawk
Good thoughts HE. Lots of ways to go. I tossed the idea of trying to have it position related as in have the top 5 by actual position. We can do that if that is everyone's preference. What I actually did was tier them by votes received in the 1st round and randomly selected the 10 sets with 1 of each tier per set. Once we got to 10 I was planning on putting all 10 in and voting. Then taking the remaining 9 and voting. Then the remaining 8 and so forth to get the top 5. I am open to any other way. Just wanting to have some fun with out love for the Jayhawks.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 4 months ago #20096 by HawkErrant
I like what you did, Corpus, now that I know. And if you really are looking at who the top fan faves are regardless of position... arguably, based on KU history our favorites are going to be hard working, skilled and effective team players. It would be interesting to see who would comprise such a squad.

It’s too bad the poll system here won’t let us build ranking polls, where we could rank players within the groups, as is done with the Top 10/25 polls. That would help prevent a really popular player from losing out because he was eliminated by a SUPER popular player in a given round. (As an example, I would be amazed if anyone except maybe Mario would beat out FMIII.)That wasn’t an issue in your round 1, of course, but it is a concern in round 2 since only the 10 “chosen ones” proceed past it.

An alternative approach (not using the board’s polling system) for round 2 would be to list the 39 players that received votes in round 1 and have folks post with their top favorites ranked 1-10. Much more grunt data work for you to do, but would definitely capture the top 5 favorites of the voters.

Thanks!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"