Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

More random thoughts from a cluttered mind...

More
5 years 4 months ago #20019 by Kong
What a strange team. Probably the most inconsistent play I have seen in a looooooong time, yet they keep finding a way to win.

On paper we have a team that should be phenomenal. On the court, the sum of the parts is far greater than the team as a whole. We just can't seem to put together anything more than a few stretches of good team play.

We have been riding hot streaks on offense. A lot of on player carrying the team. The good news, is that it has been a different player every time. The bad news is that without that hot hand we would be looking at a pretty sad record right now. If they ever all get on the same page, this could be a truly special team. I just haven't seen much of that. Sometimes it looks like they are running different plays at the same time. Our rebounding has been horrible. Our effort after loose 50-50 balls seems soft too. Very strange for that much talent to be struggling so much.

On defense, players out of position, people missing rotations, some pretty sill mistakes. We have guards that are so quick, they shouldn't get beat by their player getting in to the lane one on one, yet it happens. Some of our hedges are weak. A lot of things out of sync.

Yet I remain positive. This is a quick team that IF they get it figured out can be a tremendous defensive team and could rack up a ton of steals. Shuttig down the opposition will allow for the offense to find itself and IF they do, we have scorers at every position.

A ton of upside potential with this team, but they have to figure things out quickly. The OOC is winding down and we can't still be trying to find ourselves come conference play.

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: CorpusJayhawk, Bayhawk, KMT, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 4 months ago #20023 by CorpusJayhawk
Good thoughts Kong. Another telling stat is the low assist to FGM. But I fully agree the potential for this team on defense is outstanding. Here is why.

Dotson - Quick as lightning and is showing a real penchant to play to the scouting report. Has great anticipation (partly from scouting report) and smart hands. He has the makings of an outstanding defensive face up player.

Grimes - Has good lateral quickness and a good first step. Mostly he has great size and strength for a 2 guard. If he gets better at playing to the scouting report, with his strength and size, he has the potential to be a very good defensive player.

Vick - When his head is in the game he is a great floater. He can be a bit weak on the perimeter when we play against a 4 guard lineup. Has good speed to close and long arms. Will never be a great defensive player but is a senior and a servicable defensive player.

D. Lawson - Has such a nose for the ball on defensive rebounds. He needs to be a system defender because he does not appear to have great face up one on one defensive potential. But Self plays a more system, switching, defense for the post guys. He needs to get a bit more aggressive but he is in the right system to be an effective defensive player.

Dok - Never going to be a rim protector par excellance. But his size and girth will wear down the other guys over 40 minutes. Can be serviceable in the Self system.

Lightfoot - Excellent rim protector and weak side defender. Lacks size but makes up for it with all the other tools. His new body will serve him well over the long season.

KJ - His size can be a nightmare for other teams. His quickness is a bit of a question at this point and his lack of reps with the A-team have clearly been an issue. Seems like he should be getting minutes.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaythawk1

More
5 years 4 months ago #20024 by Kong
Dotson's quickness and ability to get a hand on the ball is amazing at times. His pressure should generate passes that others like Grimes and Vick, with their abilities, to fill some passing lanes and break out for easy baskets. Defense generating offense.

I see that as the beginning of a break through for this team. If they buy in to team defense, then I think the offense will follow. Given the way this team has played so disjointed on offense, I don't think it will come along quicker than the D.

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
5 years 4 months ago #20026 by NotOstertag
Dotson is quick handed, and so is Moore. Fun to watch.

Yet sometimes they're awful to watch, but that's what these early games are all about. Nevertheless, when you keep letting the other team back into the game like we've been doing, it eventually bites you on the butt.

That said, these guys have certainly had to face pressure and so far have been able to get it done.

To me, D. Lawson is the mystery. He seems to have about 10 minutes of good play in each game, but in that time he'll get his 20 points and 10 boards.

They're learning.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
5 years 4 months ago #20027 by NotOstertag
Speaking of sloppy, did anybody see what K-State did? They've dropped 2 in a row. Marquette beat them by 10, and this weekend, Tulsa nipped them 47-46. I don't think I can remember a game where neither team got to 50.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot