Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Udunkie; the bigger they are, the harder they fall . . . . A poll while we wait.

Poll: How bad is 'Doke's injury for the team?

Early in the season, he'll be back, no worries
8 53.3%
I'm concerned, but not panicked
7 46.7%
Huston, we have a problem . . .
No votes 0%
Pack it up, the season is over.
No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 15
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Bayhawk
  • Bayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #19939 by Bayhawk
RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Bayhawk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 4 months ago #19943 by NotOstertag
Halfway between #1 and #2. I'm really not worried. I think we have the depth to cover for his absence, and I think he'll be back in a few weeks. Nevertheless, I'm not "unconcerned" either. Anytime one of our guys I'm worried for him personally, and I do think ankles can be the kind of lingering thing that nags at you for a long time. As it stands, I think he'll be back, but I also think he'll be subject to re-injuring it, or tweaking it enough that he probably won't be 100% for the rest of the season. Still, Dok at 80%-90% is still a handful.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, porthawk, murphyslaw, KMT

More
5 years 4 months ago #19949 by hairyhawk
I think with Dok one of the things that is hard for him is perimeter defense. Being every bit of 280 lbs he is listed at it is a lot of stress on the joints to change direction quickly. I am hoping he heals enough to be an effective perimeter defender on the pick and roll because teams will make him show he can do it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, murphyslaw

More
5 years 4 months ago #19950 by AZhawk87
I feel bad saying this, but I think we'll be better as a team because of his time off. I prefer an engaged and successful mix of DLawson, Grimes and Dotson over a rotation with Dok as the main focus.

He is very efficient scoring, but his skillset is so limited, and he has to come out in crunch time for his putrid foul shooting, that it throws off our routine when it's most important. Dok as a key, but not primary option, is where I think we will be our best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, murphyslaw, newtonhawk

• Bayhawk
  • Bayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 4 months ago #19953 by Bayhawk
I was thinking the same thing AZ87, but I didn't want to post it for fear of being ridiculed. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's on our team, but we also have a great team with him in the wings . . .

--RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, murphyslaw

More
5 years 4 months ago #19954 by Illhawk
Since D Lawson looks like a 30 minute guy and we have developed the 4 smalls offense I don't know that his absence is a concern except on defense.
Mitch seems good for a dozen minutes and will at least try to guard any big in the NCAA and McCormick has the big body to do the same by February.

I honestly think our upside is more a matter of how well Grimes develops than whether Doke heals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, murphyslaw, newtonhawk

More
5 years 4 months ago #19955 by CorpusJayhawk
I definitely think Udoka's injury has a positive side. McCormack has actually delivered, albeit in a fits and spurts way. He sure seems to be the kind of young player that will have a very steep learning curve, meaning he will work out the kinks and improve at a very fast rate. Much like Embiid. Udoka has some incredible positives but he is also (and I'm being kind here) a mediocre rebounder. If I had to grade his rebounding skills honestly, I would probably give him a D+. Also, for his size, he still has not mastered setting screens nearly as well as he should. We will probably never have another Landen Lucas in that regard but Dok just doesn't do it well. And he really has little ability to step out and guard a mobile big man. I am not intending to dump on Udoka while he is down these are just the facts as I see them. McCormack appears to have the ability to do all of these things better, he just needs time in the saddle. This may be that time. Plus, the pace and flow of offense with the new guys fitting in and a primary focus on feeding it to Dok, was struggling to say the least. I will always defer to Self that he knows far more what is best, but it was pretty obvious that when Dok was in the game, the other players had poor flow. I'm not sure it was a coincidence that the best offensive flow we have seen this year came after Dok left the game against Wofford. Please, again, I am in no way anti-Dok or disparaging of Dok. These are my sincere assessments. I think AZ87 nailed it saying this team may be better with Dok as "an" option versus "the primary" option. I think that would have come eventually but this may hasten it. And if we get a more polished McCormack out of this as well, then dilly dilly.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, murphyslaw, jaythawk1

More
5 years 4 months ago #19957 by NotOstertag
There's no subtlety to Dok's game, that's certain. He's pretty much a one trick pony: give him the ball and watch him throw it down no matter how many people are brave/stupid enough to try and get in his way. Nevertheless, that one trick is a pretty good one, and when a guy goes 70% from the field for the season, I can see how a coach like Self would want to go to that well early and often. Last year that was a solid 13 points per game that you could pretty much bank on. You'd be crazy not to use him as a dunk machine, especially if the other team doesn't have an effective means of stopping him.

I do think he's improved a little this year, but he'll never be a finesse player, and probably not a huge star in the NBA. But at this level? Let's just say he's a good guy to have in a fight.

That being said, I don't think it's at all a negative to look at the positives that his sitting out will bring. It forces Self to vary his options. If Self was in a rut eating a slice of pizza for lunch everyday, Dok's injury introduces salads, tacos, and sandwiches into the rotation. That's healthy.

While he's out, Self and the team will be adding new tools to the toolbox. As soon as the "Feed Dok Offense" is back from the repair shop, it can rejoin the rest of the new and improved tools in the box (I envision Dok as the sledgehammer of the toolbox).

I also think giving McCormack some more reps and having D-Law become more of the sole focus in the paint for our "small" lineup will make them both better. Last year DeSousa was able to contribute in a big way after he gained experience, and I still remember a very green Cole Aldrich come off the bench in a final four game against Roy's boys where he suddenly ARRIVED in a big way. McCormack is in that spot now and I totally anticipate some point in February or March when the switch will get flipped ON and we'll realize that we have a monster in the room. Can't wait. We all know it's coming.

So there's a very shiny silver lining to Dok missing some time. Like I said previously, I feel bad for him or any of our guys who I like, who WANT to play and who have to deal with some bad luck. Dok's a great kid, and an asset to the team. He's fun to watch, and destroying rims is sure fun to watch. But this DOES give us a golden opportunity to get better in many other ways, and really doesn't hurt our chances for success.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, murphyslaw, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 4 months ago #19959 by Wheatstate Gal
I can watch the “tape” of mr Aldrich schooling mr hansborough (sp?) ALL DAY LONG!

May young mr McCormack’s chops manifest sooner than later.

Energizer Bunny indeed!

Be well soon, Dok.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, murphyslaw