Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Annual Comparison and Trends

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 4 months ago #19928 by CorpusJayhawk
It's about time to look to see how this team compares to past Self coached teams.

REBOUNDING: Obviously the Wofford game was a terrible rebounding game. There are several reasons for that. As it stands right now, this team is the worst offensive rebounding team under Self. In Self's 1st 12 years, his teams averaged grabbing 36.4% of offensive rebounds. They have been progressively worse over the last three years and this season it is a low 29.6%. Last years team was the worst up to that point at 30.2%. Udoka is a poor offensive rebounder. Dedric has been okay but everyone else has been absent. We are actually a good defensive rebounding team thus far.

SHOOTING: This team is pretty solidly average at shooting. We think they are down because the last three seasons, shooting has been KU's strength. This season we are back to being average. The problem is that through the first 6 games it was due to Vick. Let's hope the shooting evens out.

OPPONENT SHOOTING: In Self's 1st 12 years, opponents averaged 47.6% Eff FG%. This year it is 51.5% which is not good historically. I am starting to think this is more because of the evolution of the game and not because KU is getting worse at FG defense. We are almost exactly the same as the last couple years with a def Eff FG% of 51.5%.

KU SHOT SELECTION: KU is shooting 29.5% of their shots from the 3 point line. That is right about on a par with history.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hairyhawk, Socalhawk, Freestate69, KMT, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 4 months ago #19932 by hairyhawk
The defensive rebounding numbers are actually very good through 6 games. The first possession of the 2nd half last night definitely hurt that stat but all in all pretty good. We don't it our free throws very well. When you look at these numbers you can see how outstanding last years team was at shooting 3s.

More
5 years 4 months ago #19934 by NotOstertag
Love this. Thanks for doing this.

Is there a way to see our progress over similar time periods? i.e. 1st 7 games of 2018, first 7 of 2017, first 7 of 2016...

If so, I would predict that years where we had a lot of new players, our numbers would be more erratic, compared to years like last year were we had a strong core of experienced players coming in.

In any case, the team we see in November/December is often quite different the the team we're looking at in February/March.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Great stuff.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 4 months ago #19936 by CorpusJayhawk
Give me something harder next time.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hairyhawk, jaythawk1

More
5 years 4 months ago #19940 by NotOstertag
Thanks!

Man, the scoring margin number really pops. (2nd lowest in 14 seasons). While some of that might be due to playing 2 top ten teams so far, but we always seem to have a couple of good tests early, so I'm not buying that logic. We certainly aren't blowing teams out on a regular basis. Even Tuesday's lopsided score doesn't reflect how close things were for so long.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot