Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Disconnect?

• murphyslaw
  • murphyslaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 4 months ago #19860 by murphyslaw
I'm trying to figure out my feelings about KU basketball so far. It's not that I'm disinterested, but with so many "new" players, it may take some time for me to be as passionate about the games as I have always been. So far I can identify Moore, a bit chunky with a cute baby face, and Dotson, short, slim, and wiry. For the others, I'm relying on my list of players' numbers for now. Surely hope my enthusiasm grows steadily, along with my dedication, as I begin to put names with faces.

Anyone else feel this way?
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, sasnak, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 4 months ago #19861 by CorpusJayhawk
I feel your pain Murph. I have waxed and waned with various teams over the years. I tend to get more excited with the teams that have some longer term guys like Frank and Devonte' and Svi. Plus, I think all the crap surrounding the FBI mess and the 4th straight year with a player being held out for some BS or other does not exactly boost enthusiasm. I have my DPPI and all my computer programs and systems that keep my interest up in general but as for the Jayhawks, this team is a little harder to get super enthused about. I do hope you find your mojo. Conference season always ramps up the enthusiasm so take heart.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, LadyHawk, jaythawk1

More
5 years 4 months ago #19862 by Bayhawk
Know what you mean. Come conference play, all will fall together,

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
5 years 4 months ago #19863 by hoshi
This team to date, is not a team. I see moments when they play KU (Self) BB and many moments when I see a team of individuals trying to be a team but not pulling it off. I believe that it is because we lost three backcourt players and the newbies have not fully integrated. The reason we tend to play well with Doke in the game is that he creates lanes to drive and draws extra help. He needs to stay out of foul trouble. For all his positives, Dedric is not a good on ball defender but he sure can score and rebound. When Dedric figures out how to play Self defense and Dotson learns how to fully run a team, we will be fine. I am optimistic but concerned.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, porthawk, jaythawk1

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 4 months ago #19864 by HawkErrant
Murph, Corpus - agree with you both, at least so far this year.

The guys

Vick: a pleasant surprise, but I’m harboring reservations waiting to see if he continues his improved play and attitude past December (last year looms large in memory).

Dok: not seeing the big improvement I was hoping for, although he clearly is playing smarter and thus better than last year. His FT woes really have been a let down after reading about his improvement over the summer.

Dotson: solid addition who I’m looking forward to seeing over the next few years. Glad he’s a Jayhawk.

Grimes: disappointed so far. Wherego Mojo? Awaiting the Awakening,

D. Lawson: he’s so darn undramatic it’s hard to connect with him so far, despite his great stats and understated but effective play.

Garrett: Love his D, but cringe at his O. As with Dok, had hoped to see more improvement in this area after all the work this past summer.

Moore: meh.

Lightfoot: likewise.

McCormack: a freshman, and it shows. High hopes for later, even later this season once he gets his sea legs.

Silvio: sigh

Agbaji: really wish Mitch had sat instead of Ochai. Have a feeling OA would have ended up being indispensable this year. The guy I really am the most interested in, in no small part because he’s a local kid, but also because of the potential.

The team in general

Not seeing the hoped for improved defense, despite the additions to the team.

Not seeing decent FT shooting, even after allowing for Dok. Too many guards at the stripe missing scoring opportunities.

Maybe it’s simply a case of having expectations far too high far too early leading to a case of the “crimson & blues”?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaythawk1

More
5 years 4 months ago #19865 by NotOstertag
I had a little of that leading up to the season with all of the FBI crap.

Now I'm coming along. I'm getting used to the faces and personalities, but they're all still pretty new to me.

I see improvement with Dok. His footwork has improved. Dedric Lawson is very good but still trying to fit in and figure some stuff out. Nevertheless, he quietly seems to get a double-double every night.

Moore looks like a 5th grader. Cracks me up. He'd probably kick my butt if I said that to him in person. Kid's tough. He and Dotson both seem to have quick hands and do a nice job of getting steals when the other team is trying to bring the ball up. Grimes is still a mystery to me, but I felt that way about Newman at this time last year. He turned out ok.

I've already spoke about Vick elsewhere.

The team is still developing a personality. What'll help me is that we're finally getting on a regular 2-game-per-week schedule. The more I see 'em, the more I like 'em.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaythawk1

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #19866 by CorpusJayhawk
Good assessment HE. I try to always take the optimistic side but since we are fessing up, this team is concerning me.

1. Grimes - I can always forgive a freshman being a freshman but where is the fire? I know we will never have another Kirk Hinrich or Sherron Collins but come on dude, get some fire. So the shot isn;t falling. Where is the mad dash to crash the boards and the "in your face I will crush you" defense? GET SOME FIRE DUDE!!

2. Dotson - the anti-Grimes. Dotson is full of fire. His issues are just making freshman decisions but that is totally cool with me. He will learn that quickly. My concern with Dotson is his reluctance to shoot. Of course, that is almost certainly the Self command that "though shalt play through Dok or Dedric." But man was it great having Devonte' and Frank the last two years. I think Dotson will be special by the time he leaves.

3. Agree with HE on Dok He is good and valuable but not significantly better. No shot more than 1.83 inches from the rim. Good teams will find ways to neutralize him. I worry about that. And the fouls, c'mon man. QUIT EFFING FOULING! You are a junior. And the FT shot....sigh!

4. Vick - I am totally channeling with HE. I am thrilled with what he has brought the 1st 6 games and we lose at least 2 and probably more without Vick. But last year looms large especially since the three games he was strong this season were the three weakest opponents. Let's face it, Vick showed zero mental toughness last season and it hurt the team because we had no choice but to play him. No one will argue he has talent. It is will he use it when he gets hit in the mouth. If I were an opposing coach, I would take a bully and get 3 or 4 fouls early on Vick by not letting him touch the ball to sww if he will wilt. He may have conquered those demons but only time will tell. He has been a super stud thus far.

5. Dedric - Agree with Hoshi. Dedric is not a good on-ball defender. And while he scores and rebounds like a madman, he does it in a way that doesn't get you pumped up. That is okay and not every player is that guy. Frank did it in a Frank way when he would driver to the hoop and give the guy he just dunked over that Frank look. Devonte' would let you know when his heart was pumping. Hinrich had the look and that extra gear when it was time to inspire. The Morrii were overt about their intensity. I am not criticizing Lawson because not every one can be that but we need some one to pump the fist and slap the floor and give the stare.

6. Teamwork - We had like 1 assist at the half against Stanford. It was like playground ball with a pick up team. There was one point where we had four guys on the same side of the floor. The defense help has been pathetic as well. Dotson is a great on the ball defender and Garrett is great. But the teamwork switching and digging and help defense has been poor.

7. De Sousa - Cliff Alexander, Cheick Diallo, Billy Preston and now De Sousa, not to mention Josh Shelby. I have been a complete defender of Self and company but this is starting to get old. Real old. Real real old.

We still have Self and the other coaches and their track record is great. We supposedly have talent to spare so that is great. But this has been a rough start to the season considering we are ranked 2nd, 5th in the computer composite and we are 6-0. I guess that shows how spoiled we are.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by CorpusJayhawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, porthawk, jaythawk1

• jaythawk1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • RCJH! e'77, b'77
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #19872 by jaythawk1
Murphy, I'm in the same boat too! Vic was a guy I thought was going to start his freshman year and on, has finally come into his own but you always look early in the game to see which Vic shows up. (I like the one so far!) Dok has helped with having someone to identify with and Marcus maybe...if only his offense matched his defense...but all the new faces and personalities and the fact that there are lots of guys playing. Of which I'm glad to have all the skills and talent we do have.

Maybe I just need to hang in there, watch more post game videos and reports!

Education Is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence~Robert Frost
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by jaythawk1. Reason: as usual spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, murphyslaw

More
5 years 4 months ago #19908 by sasnak
I am not totally invested yet but know that will come with more games and getting to know the guys. I didn't even get upset when I came home and found out that I wasn't getting to watch the game. I still wore my colors to work. I am guessing that by league play, I will be all in.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk