Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Self Stat of Note

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #19852 by HawkErrant
In his 25 year head coaching career leading up to this season, Bill Self has coached his teams in conference play for 21 years (current Summit League member Oral Roberts was an independent during his 4 years there).

In those 21 years of conference play, 18 times his teams have either won outright (11 times) or tied for (7 times) the conference regular season championship.

2 @Tulsa (WAC) 1999T, 2000 (1998 finished 3rd in division)
2 @Illinois (BIG) 2001T, 2002T (2003 finished 2nd)
14 @KU (B12) 2005 to present (2004 tied for 2nd with Texas; ties for 1st occurred in 2005, 2006, 2008, 2013)

Let me restate that.

In the 6 years preceding his arrival at KU, his teams won 4 conference titles, and his KU teams have, as we all know, won at least a share of 14 straight B12 titles.

Or you could state that there were only 3 times in 21 chances that one of his teams did not finish 1st.

No matter how you dissect it and analyze it, my friends, that is Excellence personified.

Rock Chalk!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Bayhawk, porthawk, murphyslaw, KMT, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.