Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Mr. Vick is making me feel very vindicated.

• DrJHawker
  • DrJHawker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #19839 by DrJHawker
During the off-season when rumors emerged that Legearld may return, I was excited about the possibility. I stated that we badly needed him for 3-point shooting and senior leadership. The response I received (not this board - that I recall) was that Vick wasn't that good of a 3-point shooter and he'd never shown any leadership qualities. I didn't have a great rebuttal but Vick has proven to be my rebuttal. I'm feeling pretty good about my prognostication now. I hope he can continue having this hot hand. Hard to imagine but I'm becoming a believer. He's been the biggest key to our undefeated season so far. Keep it going Legearld.
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by DrJHawker. Reason: Forgot to subscribe
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 4 months ago #19843 by Bayhawk
I don't usually call people out on the board -- mostly because I don't know enough about the Xs and Os to have an intelligent opinion. I do remember, however, being a Vick naysayer. If I did so in reply to your post I hereby publicly offer my humble apology . And, I should add, I'm glad you were correct!

IIRC, I ran some poll regarding Vick. I don't remember how I voted, but I'm sure it wasn't very positive. I should run another poll in a week or so . . . .

--RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
5 years 4 months ago #19845 by hairyhawk
It is very hard for us fans who only get to see the games to really know what is going on behind the scenes in the locker room, at practice, and when they are just hanging out. An example not really related to KU or even basketball that I would use is Dion Sanders. I am not a big fan and I always felt he came across during games as a pretty arrogant ass, but everywhere he played his teammates loved him. I think he was a better guy than I ever gave him credit for.

More
5 years 4 months ago #19847 by porthawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
5 years 4 months ago #19849 by CorpusJayhawk
I don't think I qualify as a source of Vick derision but I did think he would not return. His swoon after a good 14 game start jaded my view of him. I was skeptical that he was tough minded to stand up to tough competition. I will give props where they are due. He has not been consistently good this year minute by minute but overall he has been a great asset to theis team and we are probably not 6-0 without him.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
5 years 4 months ago #19855 by NotOstertag
I've been pretty critical of Vick, and am very happy with what he's doing on the court. I hope he's behaving off the court too.

I admit that I've never fully gotten over the report that he punched and kicked a girl in 2015 and was on some kind of "double secret probation" as a result. I don't know that it was ever officially confirmed, or what the other circumstances were, but it was reported and never disputed by KU or Vick.

I guess on some level, I hope that it was a one-time lack of judgement kind of thing and that there were some kind of extenuating circumstances that I'm unaware of, because to me that's very high on my list of inexcusable actions. Sadly, I haven't gotten over it, and maybe that's unfair of me to give the guy a "life sentence" for something that may not deserve it.

Nevertheless, I'm also a dad with a son and daughter in college and expect that my son would never do such a thing and know what kind of red I'd be seeing if my daughter were ever the victim of such a thing. So be it.

So the best I can do is appreciate what Vick is doing and hope that he's matured as a player and a man. But sadly I'm still a long ways away from "trust".

Sorry to be Debbie Downer about this.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot