Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

KU Season Projection

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 5 months ago #19701 by CorpusJayhawk
I have initiated my DPPI Rating system. I had to include some code to shadow link the teams since they aren't fully linked at this point. It is not particularly accurate at this point and won't be until at least 7 or 8 games have been played. Statistically they should be fully linked after 9 games. But this isn't completely without merit either. The good news it projects KU to win 28.5 games through the conference regular season (31 games). I fear that is optimistic given that teams like West Virginia and Texas Tech are off to rough starts and are ranked lower than is probably what they will ultimately be. Based on the DPPI, the next two games will be the toughest of the season. Agains, I'm not sure that will hold up but clearly, if we can win the next two games we will be in excellent shape.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, sasnak, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, boulderhawk, Socalhawk, porthawk, KMT, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 5 months ago #19702 by HawkErrant
So based on the DPPI to date and looking solely at scoring margin, our toughest games are:
1. 0.12 margin over Marquette in Brooklyn (up next on Wednesday in the NIT Tipoff)
2. 1,04 margin over Tennessee in Brooklyn (I notice -- since I'm sure we all assume KU beats Marquette -- that you are assuming that UT beats Lousiville in their first Brooklyn game. Oh, and hiya to Rick Barnes -- doing well at UT again! Tennessee, that is...:P)
3. 1.23 margin over ISU in Ames. Always a tough house there. But are they really going to be that good this time around?
4. 3.68 margin over OkSt in the Stillwater bal-chatri. I'll take it, my friend!

Every other game the projected margin is at least 5.50, and only 6 of the other games on the schedule have currently projected margins under 10.00. So 18 of the remaining games are projected to be double digit wins. Hmm, hmm, hmm.

Question - Louisiana is the only game with a 100% probability. Was it actually 100% before the game? Or is that a roundup or a glitch in the spreadsheet? At first I thought it was because the game was over and KU won, but the first two games aren't 100%, so apparently not. So I ask...

Thanks, Don!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 5 months ago #19703 by CorpusJayhawk
Yeah, the DPPI after only three games played is pretty sketchy. The math is valid but the statistical validity is sketchy. Utah state is an example. They have won 4 games by big margins and are currently projecting as the 2nd best team i the country. But their SOS is so-so at best and since those poorer teams are not yet connected fully, they get way more credit for those big margins against weak competition than they should. It works the other way as well. West Virginia is in the crapper right now because of their 2 losses. As for the 100% for Louisiana, that is actually rounded up. It is 99.999%. That is because of the standard deviation adjustment. Right now, KU has a standard deviation of about 1.35. That skews the probability curve pretty dramatically. In other words, as the projected scoring margin increases the probability increases exponentially. Louisiana also has a low standard deviation. So even though the projected margin was 14.53 points, with standard deviations so small it projects that the team will not play too far from their projection. That is why the projected margin can be identical for different teams but the probability can be quite different. Even if the ratings don't change as the season goes along, if KU has some up and down games and the standard deviation increases, all the probabilities will decrease. Some of the other RPI guys make early season adjustments to the standard deviation calculation based on past seasons. I intend to someday when I get around to it but right now I don't. It will all work out by mid-December on its own so I don't worry about it too much. Although now that you made me think about it, I may add a module to do that. I do an adjustment to shadow link all the teams based on last season's rankings and that affects the rating. Changing the standard deviation would not affect the rating but it would affect the probability of winning. Probably more than 99% of people want to know.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk