Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Bill Self versus the Big 12

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #19659 by HawkErrant
Self's 15 season Big XII W-L record through last season
AY2004-2018: 208-46 .819

Since the Big XII became a 10 school conference
AY2012-2018: 113-28 .801
Record against Current Big XII members since Big 12 became 10
AY2012-2018: 110-28 .797 (excludes TAMU & mOO)

ON THE ROAD IN THE BIG XII
AY2003-2018: 89-38 .701 in 15 conference seasons
AY2003-2018: 64-33 .660 against current members (excludes A&M, CU, mOO and NU)
AY2003-2013: 25- 5 .833 against A&M, CU, mOO and NU

And of course 14 straight Big XII titles, starting with AY2005.

All very Impressive. Understandable why Self is in the HoF as an active coach still in his prime.

QUESTIONS
Note: pay attention to the wording, I have tried to be very precise in crafting these questions.
CLARIFICATION: ALL QUESTIONS REFER TO SELF’s KU TEAMS.

1. Name the two Big 12 programs, current and past, where KU under Self has a perfect Big 12 road record.

2. Name the two Big 12 programs, current and past, where KU under Self has a losing Big 12 road record.

3. Name the only team that outright beat out Self’s KU for the Big XII regular season conference title.

4. Name the teams that have shared the Big XII regular season conference title with Self’s KU, and how many times each tied KU at the top.

5. What has been KU's worst Big XII regular season final standing (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.) under Self?

ROCK CHALK!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 5 years 5 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, porthawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 5 months ago #19660 by hairyhawk
I have no idea but I will try without doing any research

1 I do not think we have lost at TT since Aaron Miles was getting intentionally fouled but got called for traveling. So I am going to guess TT and TxAM who beat us in Lawrence on a last second three from the corner by Acie Law over Brandon Rush but maybe we did not lose at A&M

2 I will guess OKSt and WVU but I am really not sure.

3. The Jamal Tinsley led ISU team won the conference but I can't recal if HCBS was here yet.

4. I have no idea on this one. I think OU and TX have shared it but It would make my brain hurt to try and remember all of them and how many

5. I will guess 2nd.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 5 months ago #19661 by HawkErrant
Not bad, but not 100%.

And thanks, I realized from your comments that I needed to specify that all the questions concerned KU under Self, starting with his first season in 2003-2004.

I’ll wait awhile to give anyone else interested a chance to reply before publishing the answers.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
5 years 5 months ago #19664 by Socalhawk
1. Nebraska, Baylor
2. OSU, ISU
3. ISU (TX?)
4. KSU -1, OU - 1, ISU - 1
5. No idea - 2nd

• jaythawk1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • RCJH! e'77, b'77
More
5 years 5 months ago #19667 by jaythawk1
Took me a bit even with my spreadsheets for the past seasons but I think I've got this...of course my concentration powers are pretty nil so I maybe all wet! Thanks for challenge!

1. Colorado and Texas A&M
2. Iowa Stat and Oklahoma State
3. Oklahoma State in the 2003-04 Season
4. Oklahoma, Texas (twice) and Kansas State
5. Tied for Second with Texas 2003-04 Season

Education Is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence~Robert Frost

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 5 months ago #19670 by HawkErrant
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS

1. Name the two Big 12 programs, current and past, where KU under Self has a perfect Big 12 road record.
Colorado (8-0) and Texas A&M (5-0)
Note that after leaving the Big XII CU finally managed to win a home game against Self's Jayhawks on Dec 7 2013

2. Name the two Big 12 programs, current and past, where KU under Self has a losing Big 12 road record.
OSU (4-7) and WVU (2-4)

3. Name the only team that outright beat out Self’s KU for the Big XII regular season conference title.
In AY2004 Oklahoma State went 14-2 to win the Big XII title.

4. Name the teams that have shared the Big XII regular season conference title with Self’s KU, and how many times each tied KU at the top.
Oklahoma (12-4 AY2005); Texas (13-3 AY2006 and AY2008) and KSt (14-4 AY2013)

5. What has been KU's worst Big XII regular season final standing (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.) under Self?
Tied for 2nd @ 12-4 with Texas in AY2004.

ROCK CHALK!

SELF'S KU BIG 12 ROAD RECORD thru the AY2018 Season
KU @	W       L       %		
CURRENT MEMBERS
BU	9	2	0.818
ISU	11	4	0.733
KSU	11	4	0.733
OU	7	4	0.636
OSU	4	7	0.364
tu	7	4	0.636
TT	8	3	0.727
TCU	5	1	0.833 (2013 on...)
WVU	2	4	0.333 (2013 on...)
Sub	64	33	0.660
FORMER MEMBERS			
A&M	5	0	1.000
MU	5	4	0.556
CU	8	0	1.000
NU	7	1	0.875
Sub	25	5	0.833
Totals	89	38	0.701

• jaythawk1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • RCJH! e'77, b'77
More
5 years 5 months ago #19672 by jaythawk1
Discovered my error...indeed the other team besides Oklahoma State that Bill Self's Jayhawks have a losing road record is the West Virginia Volunteers...my bad!

I've always felt that road wins are the key to Big XII conference championships and this exercise indeed proves that.

Thanks HE for the mental exercise!

Rock Chalk Jayhawks!

Missed the Gotham City spot light...is that a conference game only adornment?

Education Is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence~Robert Frost