Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

FBI-Government college basketball trial testimony

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 6 months ago #19423 by HawkErrant
Thursday 2018-10-10
Back in April 2018 Thomas "T.J." Gassnola, an AAU basketball director from Massachusetts, pled guilty to one felony count of wire fraud conspiracy and agreed to cooperate with prosecutors in the federal government's investigation into bribes and other corruption in college basketball. His testimony apparently began yesterday, and today he talked more on KU.

1. Adamant NO ONE at KU knew what was going on.
2. Paid Preston's mom $89K over the course of a year. (Again, good thing KU sat Preston).
3. Paid Fenny Falmagne, guardian of current KU sophomore Silvio De Sousa $2,500 for online courses so that De Sousa could graduate high school early. Gassnola also said he agreed to pay $20,000 to help the guardian repay a Maryland booster who gave him $60,000 to direct De Sousa to Maryland, but Gassnola never .paid.

Also from the KC Star article linked below:
During Wednesday’s trial, Jeff Smith, senior director of compliance for the KU athletic department, was asked about De Sousa signing a contract with a pro team in Spain and an agreement with a sports agent. An attorney for the prosecution said KU only allowed De Sousa to play after presenting evidence — KU had hired handwriting experts who could not conclude who signed the documents, according to court transcripts — and obtaining a clearance from the NCAA. (emphasis mine - HE)
Link to Jesse Newell & Adam Zagoria article in KC Star on Gassnola testimony

There was a lot more talk over the past few days about other schools as well, but I'm not going into that here, want to focus on KU and Silvio's case.

First, per Wednesday's testimony by Smith and the prosecution, the issue of Silvio signing with an agent and a team in Spain was already addressed with the NCAA last year and Silvio was cleared to play. That's good for KU and Silvio.

Second, Gassnola's insistence that KU people knew nothing about what was happening with Preston or De Sousa -- and in fact was afraid that KU would find out about Preston (which KU did) -- is great testimony for KU. And the fact that KU knew of no other issues with De Sousa until after the season was over is also good news for KU.

Third, the testimony makes it clear that Silvio opted to go to KU over Maryland in spite of any efforts his guardian made to get him to College Park. While the guardian would be considered an agent by the NCAA under the Cam Newton rule for taking the $60K from the Maryland booster, since (a) Silvio did NOT go to Maryland and (b) all parties involved adamantly state that Silvio and his family knew nothing of the Maryland $, IMO the NCAA has to give the benefit of the doubt to Silvio and decide he was eligible despite his agent's behind the scenes actions. Again --
1. Did not attend Maryland
2. Indicates no evidence of influence by the guardian and
3. No evidence Silvio or his family knew of or benefited from the Maryland $.
I really believe that if the NCAA does declare him ineligible for this, then KU and Silvio will be suing the NCAA in court, challenging the Cam Newton rule and how it's improper application by the NCAA significantly damaged the University and the student-athlete.

Fourth is what I think will be an issue -- the $2500 from Gassnola to pay for the online courses so Silvio could accelerate finishing HS.
IMO this will end up being the biggest headache for Silvio and KU, but I do not think it will result in his being declared ineligible or KU having to vacate any games. I do think that if the NCAA gets around to it in time they will require that Silvio sit out some games this year. A lot will depend on how long the trial goes and its results (we want it done ASAP!). Remember that under its new rules the NCAA can take the results of another entity's investigation for its use instead of reinvestigating on its own, so if the trial wraps early and the Gassnola testimony holds water, the NCAA can use that information to decide on what to do regarding Silvio (and the other schools & players involved as well).

Again, I think at most Silvio will have to sit some games for the $2,500 for classes that allowed him to graduate HS and attend KU early.

My fingers are crossed that any additional testimony/evidence serves to support KU and Silvio, and sanity rules the day for both.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: CorpusJayhawk, Bayhawk, wchawk, gorillahawk, jayhawk969, porthawk, murphyslaw, KMT, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 6 months ago #19424 by porthawk
This is fantastic analysis, HE. I could use some of your writing to show my students how to cite evidence from a source and then talk off of it.

Here are two more articles about the same topic:

From ESPN: www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...r-two-kansas-players

From the LJW: www2.kusports.com/news/2018/oct/11/lates...tri/?mens_basketball
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk

More
5 years 6 months ago #19428 by CorpusJayhawk
Very nicely stated HE.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
5 years 6 months ago #19432 by NotOstertag
Great logic HE. I agree that the $2500 is going to be pretty tough to get away from. That one could very well stick.

I'm still not sold on the Maryland $60k or promise of $20k being so easy to dodge. So if you'll permit me, I'm going to play the part of prosecutor here.

Point 1: It really doesn't matter whether financial decisions were made with a parent or guardian. Legally speaking I'd say they're damn near equivalent as the guardian not only has full responsibility for the child their fostering, but it could be argued that a guardian could have as much influence (possibly more) than a parent.

Point 2: The Maryland money. If in fact the guardian accepted money from a Maryland booster, it's not entirely relevant whether the booster got what he hoped to pay for. The NCAA specifically uses the term "extra benefits". I looked it up and it's basically anything that a prospect receives on behalf of a school (indirect or direct) that isn't authorized by the NCAA. It doesn't define whether the benefit succeeded in producing a result. Simply accepting it is. By this logic, Silvio's goose was cooked the minute he guardian accepted Maryland's representative's money.

So with that mind, it comes down to proving whether or not the Maryland money actually happened. KU is still in the clear due to ignorance. The NCAA cleared Silvio which helps us. But there's an outside chance we're forefitting some games, a better chance that Silvio is done or at least misses some games.

Nevertheless, I don't think the "but he chose to go to KU anyway" argument holds water in light of the actual rulebook.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #19435 by HawkErrant

NotOstertag wrote: Great logic HE. I agree that the $2500 is going to be pretty tough to get away from. That one could very well stick.

I'm still not sold on the Maryland $60k or promise of $20k being so easy to dodge. So if you'll permit me, I'm going to play the part of prosecutor here.

Point 1: It really doesn't matter whether financial decisions were made with a parent or guardian. Legally speaking I'd say they're damn near equivalent as the guardian not only has full responsibility for the child their fostering, but it could be argued that a guardian could have as much influence (possibly more) than a parent.

Point 2: The Maryland money. If in fact the guardian accepted money from a Maryland booster, it's not entirely relevant whether the booster got what he hoped to pay for. The NCAA specifically uses the term "extra benefits". I looked it up and it's basically anything that a prospect receives on behalf of a school (indirect or direct) that isn't authorized by the NCAA. It doesn't define whether the benefit succeeded in producing a result. Simply accepting it is. By this logic, Silvio's goose was cooked the minute he guardian accepted Maryland's representative's money.

So with that mind, it comes down to proving whether or not the Maryland money actually happened. KU is still in the clear due to ignorance. The NCAA cleared Silvio which helps us. But there's an outside chance we're forefitting some games, a better chance that Silvio is done or at least misses some games.

Nevertheless, I don't think the "but he chose to go to KU anyway" argument holds water in light of the actual rulebook.

Good points. Some counterpoints.

First, it is my understanding that the guy serving as Silvio's guardian does so for other foreign students in his charge so far away from home. It also seems pretty clear from all the evidence to date that everything he was doing was for himself and not for the people he was supposed to be "guarding". A good attorney would argue that his behavior was a breach of his fiduciary duty to Silvio as it jeopardized Silvio's eligibility, and it would hold up in court -- and I'd be amazed if this doesn't go to court if the NCAA goes draconian. So I submit the NCAA will be taking everything that has been testified to -- none of said testimony indicating anyone but the guardian was involved -- into consideration in its deliberations after the trial ends. (Aside: the trial is expected to go to jury by Wednesday according to today's news , so the trial at least should be over in about a week.)

Second, regarding the potential threat for the NCAA to vacate some of last season because Silvio played, one is tempted to make comparisons to the Derrick Rose situation, but these really are totally different cases. Rose knowingly took actions which, if known, would have rendered him ineligible from the start. Silvio has insisted all along that he knew nothing of any transactions, and none of the testimony to date indicates that Silvio or his parents -- or KU -- actually knew what was going on with the guardian.

Third, the testimony to date regarding the Maryland booster money (not UA $ as was originally indicated) has all been hearsay. To the best of my knowledge only Gassnola has discussed this under oath, in connection with offering to help the guardian pay it back. But he offered no evidence, other than what he was told by the guardian, to prove that the $60K payment actually occurred. And with the Feds and defense NOT calling the guardian to testify (unless they do so in these last few days of testimony), the guardian's adamant denial that he got any money has to stand unless further proof of the transaction(s) can be found. And you know that proof won't be forthcoming from the Terps or their booster, because they don't want to have to deal with the impact that will have on their program if such payments can be proven.

Fourth, while they are all part of the same coin, the relevant point is *not* that the alleged Maryland money did not yield the expected results. The relevant point is that the NCAA prohibits such payments so that recruits maintain their amateurism (don't get me started here on this) and are not unduly influenced to go to one school over another. The NCAA wants the recruits to make their own choices, and Silvio, from all the evidence we have to date, clearly did so -- and this further supports his claim that he knew nothing about what the guardian was doing. ADDENDUM - and if in fact the guardian was doing all this for his own pocketbook and neither Silvio or his parents got the money or even knew about the money, how does the NCAA show that Silvio and family got "extra benefits"? The only reasonable answer is the NCAA cannot.

Fifth, all the testimony to date regarding what KU knew and when KU knew it has been positive for KU. We know that KU worked closely with the NCAA investigating a purported Spanish pro team contract and agent contract before Silvio came to KU, and the NCAA cleared Silvio to play based upon the evidence that was brought to light then. All the trial testimony is that KU personnel knew nothing about any payments (you can argue all you want that they had to know this stuff was going on, but the bottom line is that the government's star witness, who is spilling his guts on everything else in line with his deal with the Feds, insists that KU knew nothing), so KU is good there. KU not playing Preston after his issues came to the attention of the KU Compliance office demonstrates KU's efforts to stay within the lines, and we would expect they would have reacted similarly with Silvio if they had had the information that only came to light in April.

Sixth, the Cam Newton rule could allow the NCAA to punish a student-athlete even if the student-athlete and his/her family is totally unaware of the infractions that occurred. I submit that even if Silvio had gone to Maryland, if he could show that he was unaware of the money and actions taken to get him there, the NCAA could face legal action in declaring him ineligible and potentially negatively affecting his college and career prospects. With him choosing to go to KU, his case would be even stronger. I know if I was the student-athlete I would take them to court, and with a good attorney and the facts on my side I would win.

Seventh, if the NCAA cannot show that he or his family knew what was going on and the NCAA should still declare him retroactively ineligible for last season and vacate all the games in which he appeared, I would be astonished if KU did not take the NCAA to court. Such an action would damage KU financially (all the tournament money KU would have to return) and by reputation and record, costing KU its 14th straight conference title and its 15th Final Four appearance. Whatever else they are, the NCAA folks are smart enough to realize the possibility of such a suit, and that possibility would temper their actions.

Mind that all the above goes OUT THE WINDOW if the NCAA can show that Silvio or his parents knew what was going on.

SO, given all the above, I do not see KU getting retroactively dinged at all because KU worked closely and diligently with the NCAA all last year on Silvio's -- and Preston's -- issues, these new Silvio issues did not come to light until after the season, by which time KU had in good faith played him with the blessings of the NCAA, and unlike Rose, Silvio had acted in good faith because he was unaware of the occurrence of the alleged infractions.

I expect that Silvio probably will have to sit out some games this year, and mostly for the $2500. This assumes that there is actual evidence for that transaction beyond Gassnola's testimony, otherwise even that may be set aside for lack of proof.

Keeping my fingers crossed because this is the NCAA we're dealing with after all, and we aren't the tarred ones. I just hope our KU attorneys are as good as those on the powder blue payroll, if not better.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by HawkErrant. Reason: Added addendum on "extra benefits" to the fourth point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, porthawk

More
5 years 6 months ago #19438 by porthawk
As allegations mount, KU mum about Adidas ties and extra $1.5M it has received from the company
www2.kusports.com/news/2018/oct/12/alleg...ext/?mens_basketball

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 6 months ago #19440 by HawkErrant
I added a comment on determining "extra benefits" to the fourth point in my preceding post.

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 6 months ago #19441 by HawkErrant
I really dislike that article by editor Chad Lawhorn. The headline and its tone are worthy of a Manhattan or Columbia publication.

First, despite what is written in the headlines the allegations are NOT mounting, they are pretty much what we expected they were going to be, with the exception of the Maryland money being $60K and coming from a booster and not UA. And the testimony to date has so far been very positive for KU and not necessarily damning for Silvio (but I've already spoken to that earlier here).

But second and most importantly, no attorney worth his or her salt is going to let their client make any comments to the media about a case that is actively being adjudicated or any related ongoing contract negotiations. What do they really expect the KU folks to say? Just because we all definitely want to know what is going on doesn't mean we or the media have the right to know what is happening with the negotiations on a contract. Why would KU risk giving adidas *any* negotiating advantage by talking about it in public?

Cry me a river that you're not getting the scoop you want, Chad, but at least present the information you do have in an even-handed manner. Don't slant it against the hometown school.

More
5 years 6 months ago #19444 by NotOstertag
Good stuff HE. Thanks for playing.

Based on that, it seems to me that much of this revolves around the concept of "guardian". If you're a foster parent of a 6 year old, you're essentially taking on the vast majority of parental duties...making sure Junior eats his vegetables, teaching the kid right from wrong, disciplining/rewarding the kid as appropriate, etc. In that definition of "guardian", I would imagine that the guardian could/would have a pretty big influence on where a kid chooses to go to school like any traditional parent.

If, however, the term "guardian" is more of a supervisory role, where you're making sure the kid gets fed, gets to school and practice, and providing a place to live, then I think your points are valid and we're in the clear.

I also agree that KU has done a very good job of protecting itself, with the Preston case being a great example. The minute KU sniffed something fishy he was out.

Finally, after the UNC case, it's clear that the NCAA either a.) has favorites, or b.) is somewhat powerless and fears big lawsuits or anything that might upset their apple cart, or c.) both. :D With that in mind, if KU gets hammered (after the NCAA approved him to play) while UNC is in the clear, they'll have no credibility as far as I'm concerned. Nevertheless, with the recent Condoleeza Rice-headed commission vowing to clean things up, I'm a little afraid that KU might be in a perfect spot to be an "example" of how they've changed.

Anyway, fun debate. Hoping for the best.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk

More
5 years 6 months ago #19445 by Kong
www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/249906...de-sousa-recruitment

www2.kusports.com/news/2018/oct/15/consu...-ku-basketball-coac/

But it is better than outright taking money and being the middle man. The $2500 for course work is not good and the acknowledgement that Adidas was helping is not good, in my opinion, either.

Nothing we can do about it, so I don't tend to worry about such stuff, but I don't think we are as clean as we might want to be.

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
5 years 6 months ago #19452 by AZhawk87
Preston's mom got $90k cash and wanted to fabricate a personal relationship to cover up the payments.

Bowen knew exactly what Preston got, so dad the ex-police officer demanded the same for his son.

Silvio's guardian took cash from Under Armor for Maryland, then took Adidas money to get Silvio to KU, then wanted more money to repay Under Armor.

Cliff Alexander committed to KU at the last minute without even taking a trip to campus, then ended up off the court at the end of the season under suspicion that his mom took an ineligible loan.

Ayton took money from Adidas, then went to AZ anyway, which I have no doubt paid more to get him.

Zion's family demanded cash, a job for the parents, and a house to live in. He went to Duke, along with the other two top draft picks in the NBA draft. Is there any belief that he only demanded those benefits from Adidas and KU? NO

Every major AAU team is sponsored by a shoe company, and the AAU coaches make tons of money and influence kids as to college choices.

Does ANYONE still not accept that the entire system is about pay for commitment, and that Self, Williams, K, Squid, Crean, and every other coach in the country hasn't played the same game forever?

It's just like steroids. Please just admit that everyone knew, and stop acting sanctimonious that your particular school, players and coach were "clean". Accept the facts, hope the NCAA wants this to go away as much as the schools do, change the system going forward and sweep the past into the garbage. JUST LIKE THEY DID FOR OL' ROY AND THE FAKE DEGREES.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
5 years 6 months ago #19453 by Illhawk
The one top program that I haven't heard much about as we wade into n this morass. Cleaner, smarter , luckier?

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #19454 by konza63
Here are a couple more pieces, for broader (birdseye) context:

www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/co...caa-care/1662138002/

www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-bl...rticle220136590.html

Mellinger, in particular, seems to nail it.

What a fiasco. The NCAA has long known all about the AAU circuit, the shoe companies, and all the underground nonsense. They've chosen to do nothing. Yet my fear is they will ultimately act all sanctimonious (like K at Duke on this issue - give me a break!) and go after KU to make us the whipping boy what we know are universal transgressions.

Sickening.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by konza63.

More
5 years 6 months ago #19455 by AZhawk87
Mellinger nailed it.

I do take comfort that nothing will come of this for KU, because neither Self nor KU will stand by and take the fall for an entire industry.

I am 100% convinced UNC walked on the fake class thing because everyone knew if they got hammered, it could take down every single program in NCAA who did similar class and grade manipulation for athletes.

Same thing here. Duke and UNC will deny forever, as they know or "hope" there is no direct evidence against them. KU will take a publicity hit, and maybe even a recruiting hit, but no major sanctions will come our way lest we spill the beans on every other program. Just wait until these Adidas guys start getting asked about kids they lost to Nike schools, and how Nike paid more for the kid. The can of worms is about to burst wide open, and everyone will want this to die, and the only way it stays alive and gets worse for everyone is to hammer Self and KU with sanctions..

More
5 years 6 months ago #19456 by Bayhawk
Man-o-man I hope you are correct. :dry:

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
5 years 6 months ago #19459 by Kong

• HawkErrant
More
5 years 6 months ago #19463 by HawkErrant
Read the text messages on The Virginia Pilot

Why The Pilot?
Because The Star has taken to limiting reads for people, AND
because why should The Star get our clicks?

Oh, BTW -- texts show pretty much what we already know.