Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Jumbotron collapses onto court (NOT @KU)

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 7 months ago #19240 by HawkErrant
Yikes

Thankfully no one was hurt!

Architectural/mechanical failures always weird me out.

Department store collapse in Seoul while we were there in the early '90s.

Kemper Arena roof collapsing due to weather two days before the 1979 Yes concert I had tickets for (and thinking about it, I don't remember if I got my money back or just counted myself lucky to be alive!)

Hyatt Regency Skywalks 1981 - summer between my junior and senior years at KU. I had been on them with friends just the week before the fatal tea party collapse that July; my wife lost family and friends from it; some of my old Army friends from Fort Leavenworth were at the Hyatt heading for the skywalks when they fell.

Yikes! Yikes! Yikes!

(I have more weird "coincidentally I was around or going there" events -- not all architectural/mechanical failures -- most of them linked with me getting reassignment orders -- but I'll leave them for later... maybe... Yikes!)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.