Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Best All Time Team contest -need your vote.

• jayhawk969
  • jayhawk969's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 8 months ago #19069 by jayhawk969
Go to
twitter.com/marchmadness

and vote for Kansas over Kentucky, in Elite 8 voting. Our team includes Wilt.

Need your vote :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 8 months ago #19070 by HawkErrant
Done!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 8 months ago #19071 by Wheatstate Gal
RATS! This “bird” don’t do no tweetin’!

More
5 years 8 months ago #19072 by Bayhawk
Too cute Wheatie!!!!!! :P

Other than the RCB, Cal Bear wife and I are "off the grid". This is the first time I've ever missed it . . .

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
5 years 8 months ago #19074 by CorpusJayhawk
I am daily affirmed why I have chosen to not enter the social media universe. I would like to vote but I'm with Wheatie on this one. However, I would love to weigh in on the matchup

Mason III vs. Wall -- Okay, my prejudice says the edge goes to Mason since he was unanimous POY. But given Wall's NBA stature I will deign to say wall by SLIGHT EDGE KENTUCKY

Hinrich vs. Prince -- Both were great college players and good NBA players. They are different type players but in an effort to be as objective as possible I will judge this one as a EVEN

Pierce vs. Delk -- Once again, my inclination is (after I stop guffawing) to say "are you kidding me." But Delk was a very good college player so rather than going with Pierce by a mile I will say Pierce by SLIGHT EDGE KANSAS

Manning vs. Davis -- Admittedly you have two of the best Freshmen ever to play college. Davis played one year and Manning played 4. So given overall college performance it would have to be Manning. But had Davis stayed 4 years he would no doubt be as dominant as Manning. I don't think you can give this one anything other than EVEN

Chamberlain vs. Cousins -- AYFKM!!! What is bigger than decided edge? Cousins and his thin skin and childish maturity would self destruct by half-time after getting completely bitch slapped by Wilt. Wilt could tie his feet together and outplay Cousins. This one has the HIGHEST POSSIBLE EDGE TO KANSAS.

Overall, I would lay a healthy bet on the Kansas 5 over the Kentucky 5. Plus, not sure I would not change out Chalmers for Mason III although Mason is and will always be one of my fave KU players.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, jayhawk969, porthawk

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 8 months ago #19079 by Wheatstate Gal
Hey, My Friend.....like you and the lovely Mrs Bay....I do RCB and I have an email. I cannot deal with all the unpleasant noise on social media. I recall the days when the most annoying thing on Facebook was posting photos of cocktails or meal entrees.

I am old.

WSG

More
5 years 8 months ago #19080 by CorpusJayhawk
I am still super young (practically a child) at 60. I do the RCB and during the season I have my KURCC site. On a daily basis I check a few preferred news sites just to remind me why I should spend fewer than 15 minutes per day on the internet. I hired a lady to do some training a few years back. She started her career working for Jack Welch at GE and eventually got her PhD. She is a wonderfully delightful lady, originally from Boston. She received her PhD from Oklahoma and while she travels the world doing her training, she resides in Norman. So I had a chance to get to know her well. She is an expert at social interactions in the workplace and here training was some of the best I have ever seen. It was wildly entertaining and yet incredibly informative. Basically her training was based in helping the generations understand each other so we could work together better in the marketplace. While she was a baby-boomer (I think Rita is now about 55-60) she did not cut us BB'ers any slack. But what I found most interesting was not in her training but in the time I spent with her putting the specific training outline together for my staff. We had numerous conversations and she was chock full of info from many recent studies that have been done from all over the world regarding social media. As with anything there is an immense amount of benefit that comes with these new technologies but the latent and hidden problems are often much dicier to diagnose. I have always been a face to face person since I believe that is respectful but getting to know her made me double down on that habit. I said hello to everyone on my staff virtually everyday and tried to give all 100+ at least one chance per month to have some minutes of my time on their agenda. Everyone on my staff knew that you do not email Don. If you want me you come to my office. I returned that same respect. Social media gives people an excuse to not do face to face which I personally believe is a key to building character and respect. I would never say something anonymously that I would not say to someone to their face. That just seems to me to be common sense. So while the RCB is not face to face, I believe it is set apart in that, for the most part, it is intimate enough that we are not exactly anonymous and thus have some level of accountability not present in most forms of social media. I am in no way anti-social media. But obviously I am anti some of the way it is used. I hope we can continue to have the same level of respect and intimacy on the RCB where disagreement is not a sin and is handled with respect even when there is no resolution or meeting of the minds. I know a lot of us are pretty strongly opinionated (and I use the word opinionated intentionally) but I can think of few occasions where our opinions have been called to task that the discussion did not flow respectfully. I admit that I can go off the rails with some opinions that are at best stretching credulity and I always strive to respect when someone disagrees. Heck, I have changed my opinion on several occasions because someone spoke up in disagreement and presented a better case. I guess this is a long-winded way of saying I am thankful for this board and appreciate all of you since aside from the people I see face to face, I do not have all that much anonymous social media interaction aside from the RCB. (in full disclosure, I have occasionally thought about going on to social media to find out what ever happened to my old high school flame but given my wife is the greatest person to ever walk the planet, I have never tried to find out)

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, wardhawk, porthawk