Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Subpoenas asked KU for info on recruitments, ordered officials to testify (ESPN)

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #19006 by porthawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 9 months ago #19008 by HawkErrant
Thanks for the link, port. KUSports.com also addressed the release.

Bottom line is "nothing new here".
No new names.
No new info.
Nothing about a timeline for anything being resolved.

I did note that the ESPN article made it sound as if both Preston and De Sousa were being influenced to attend KU. From the way things have been presented in the official indictments, Preston, yes, but upon analysis, De Sousa no.

Regardless, as no KU officials were involved and Preston never played, Preston is not a KU issue, although he is a problem for adidas.

No KU officials were involved in De Sousa's case, either, and there is no evidence De Sousa knew anything about any alleged payments. The only possible harm for KU and De Sousa then is the post-Cam Newton NCAA rule attaching guilt to the student-athlete for the misdeeds of another in his "camp" (in this case his guardian). But the information released to date indicates that if said guardian got money it was to coerce Silvio to go to Maryland. But Silvio insisted on going to KU. That seems to make it pretty clear that (1) Silvio did not know anything about any back room transactions and (2) he was not influenced by those transactions to go to KU. Now, if his guardian went out and got $ from adidas so he could pay UnderArmor back the $ he got to push Silvio to Maryland, that's something else TOTALLY unrelated to Silvio going to KU. Even with the Cam Newton rule, I just don't see the NCAA having a case regarding Silvio's eligibility at Kansas. Maryland, yes, Kansas no.

My question is why aren't we hearing more from ESPN about Arizona? About Duke? About Louisville? Maryland is the one really on the hot seat re: De Sousa, but they repeatedly are only mentioned in passing. None of the other big name schools are getting ANY press this off season, and their stuff was even more damaging for their programs.

Methinks there are a lot of KU haters out there.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, porthawk

More
5 years 9 months ago #19009 by CorpusJayhawk
As to KU haters, I have really not had too much overt experience with haters (and I am virtually never in public without some KU gear on). But conventional wisdom would say it is likely prevalent. Living Oklahoma, I can say there is plenty of frustration about the 14 straight titles and the perception that KU thinks they own the Big 12. I know plenty of people who root for KU to lose but I have never personally sensed a hatred so much as a disgust with the fact that we always win. I did have a lady (probably mid 50’s) plop next to me on a Southwest flight. She had a huge Missouri logo plastered across her chest. I had a dress shirt with a small Jayhawk logo. A few minutes after sitting down and talking my ear off she noticed the Jayhawk. In a overt display of disgust she loudly said to the flight attendant, “I cannot sit next to this man, can you find another seat for me?” I actually thought she was joshing but she stood and stepped into the aisle and was dead serious. I actually chuckled.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, porthawk

More
5 years 9 months ago #19010 by Bayhawk
Haters!

So, I'm at the grocery store in my little burg yesterday morning and Reggie the checker sees me and calls out "Hey Kansas" to say good morning (because I always wear a KU Jayhawk bball shirt on my morning walk). I'm just about to leave and Reggie exclaims, "Hey Kansas and Duke!). I look over to see an Asian gentleman about my age in a hospital scrub style top with a Duke logo on the pocket in Reggie's aisle. I smile REAL big and say, "It will that time of year again soon." (trying to preempt any football conversation)! The guy looks me up and down and sheepishly says "yeah . . ." as he looks down. No schadenfreude here, just one hater to another. :evil:

On the other hand, a new family moved in a block or so up my street. She has a Villanova license plate holder. I'm really stuck on this one because if I burn them out it will affect my property value! :ohmy:

Lastly, thank you Port, HE, NotO, Corpus, and anyone else I should name for keeping the board active over this loooooooong break.. Long live the Rock Chalk Zone!!! :cheer:

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: porthawk