Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Self to meet with Vick in the near future

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #18836 by porthawk
Based on what HCBS has to say, my gut says he's not coming back. If all was good with their relationship, why would he not want a player with 3 years in the system to not come back?

This is the line I'm referring to: “We recruited with the idea of him not being here. We signed a young man late with the idea of him not being here. So there’s some things we’ll have to talk about.”

www2.kusports.com/news/2018/jun/19/ku-co...meet-lagerald-vick-/
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 9 months ago #18839 by AZhawk87
This is a strange one. I don't recall Self every being as blunt about a player before. His comments suggest he and Vick had a "divorce" last year, and Self wanted him gone.

I can't see him coming back now, having failed to find any place to play, and thinking he would provide any type of leadership. He's not a senior leader type guy, particularly after having left, closed the door behind him, and now is knocking on the door to be let back in.

I suspect Self will be helping him find the best place to transfer, trying to help the kid. His mom sure isn't providing good career advice.

I also don't expect to see Vick playing professionally in the future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: porthawk

More
5 years 9 months ago #18842 by NotOstertag
Vick got a big reality check and now he's got cold feet and few options.

I too think that at some point Self and Vick had a big breakup. Self didn't bench him, but both sides were 100% agreed that Vick was going away, and Vick obviously thought he'd be drafted.

Now that we're close to the draft and past the Combine, I think Vick realizes that he's not going the NBA and his other options are significantly worse than playing at KU. So it looks like HE might want to reconcile, but HCBS might not be so interested.

I don't think HCBS can kick him off the team and rescind his scholarship without some kind of cause, and maybe part of the 'breakup' was Self allowing Vick to "save face" by not punishing him for something he did (i.e. allowing him to resign rather than a public firing).

Nevertheless, I think the scholarship...at least the academic part...is Vick's whether Self wants him or not. So Vick could probably push the issue and return to KU, likely only to find him on the bench all season or on some kind of "ineligible list".

IMHO, Vick's 2 options are either D2 ball somewhere, or the G League. I'm guessing it'll be the latter.

But it definitely looks to me like it's a closed case for Self and that Vick might want to talk about making up.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: porthawk, murphyslaw

More
5 years 9 months ago #18844 by AZhawk87
Right on Not O. Big reality check. Isn't it sad to see the fantasy land these young men, but more so their families, live in with regard to ability and NBA prospects?

Anyone who knows anything about hoops knew Vick had ZERO chances of being drafted. He's a freak athlete and a decent hoops player. But my gosh, he's not even the best player on his team, let alone in the conference or in the country.

More
5 years 9 months ago #18846 by Bayhawk
AZ,

Your post reminds me of what John Lennon said to a screaming fan as they arrived in NY to play at Shea stadium .

The fan shouted "We love you Ringo!! You're the best drummer in the world!!!" or some such, to which John replied, "He's not even the best drummer in this band. [Director's note: Use British accent here.]

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyHawk

More
5 years 9 months ago #18848 by NotOstertag
Don't harsh on Ringo. Guy gets a bad rap. He and the equally non-flashy Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones) set the foundation that everyone else built upon. Next time you are clapping along to the backbeat of 99.999% of every rock and rolll tune since 1964, quietly thank Ringo and Charlie for making that decision for all of us. ;)

Did I mention that I'm a drummer? :)

Although I think Ringo has the same chance of making an NBA squad this season as Vick. "And in the 2nd round, the New Jersey Nets select Ringo Starr!"

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
5 years 9 months ago #18849 by Bayhawk
No argument here NotO, I was going for the Lennon quote more than a Ringo comment. Meanwhile, the guy has lived a good life post fab four and seemingly stayed out of the "limelight".

BTW: I heard somewhere that he got the gig with the Quarrymen because he had his own drum set. Any truth to it?

RC

PS Talk about your off season postings . . .

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
5 years 9 months ago #18850 by NotOstertag
Haven't heard that one, but there are a lot of stories around Pete Best getting replaced my Mr. Starkey.

To me, the guy with the BEST drumming job in the world is Ringo's son, Zack Starkey who tours with The Who now (Roger Daltry and Pete Townshend). In trying to impersonate Keith Moon there are literally rules, just whale away and hope everybody keeps up. Good times. To bring that back to basketball, that's the ultimate musical form of getting Coach Self's "green light" to do what you wanna do.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
5 years 9 months ago #18856 by MountainHawk
Maybe BG Importers has an opening.

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #18878 by gorillahawk
off-topic but relevant to Ringo vs Pete...a brief battle of drummers and drum kits for the fans to get your motors running:
< societyofrock.com/godsmack-singer-engage...utm_content=godsmack >
Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by gorillahawk.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 9 months ago #18882 by HawkErrant
Paul has indicated Pete was fired because JP&G (and also producer George Martin) weren’t happy with his drumming skill (see Ron Howard’s “The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years”). This has been the “party line” among the group for years.

It is a matter of record that the group never did anything without consensus. It is also a matter of record that Best chose not to adopt the Beatles then radical hairstyle, and from Best’s comments in the linked article below he may have been having issues with Beatles manager Brian Epstein, the man who cleaned up their scruffy looks to make them appear more “clean cut” (despite their radical hairstyles), guided the business side of their careers, and often stepped in to mediate any interpersonal differences within the group (JPG&R trusted him implicitly) until his death in August 1967, which Beatles historians consider to mark the beginning of the end for the group.

My belief, based on the histories I’ve read, is that Pete was an adequate drummer, but he simply didn’t mesh with the rest of the group. JP&G had gotten to know Ringo during their Hamburg club experiences, they felt he was a better fit, both musically and personally, manager Brian and producer George Martin liked Ringo, so they made the switch.

Pete Best fired by Beatles, April 1962

Oh, and Vick won’t be back. We would have heard *something* by now if that was going to happen. IMO we haven’t heard anything because HCBS wants to give the young man the chance to leave with at least the appearance of a bit of dignity. We will know better, of course, but HCBS will not deny the youngster that possibility (it’s stressful enough when your life successes and failures are played out on a public stage, no need to exacerbate the lows).

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, jaythawk1